Will Athlons have 166MHz FSB anytime soon?

Gemini1706

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
I always read that AMD may (I prefer a better confirming word, other than may) increase their FSB to 166MHz in soon to come Atglons.
Is there any way to confirm this..?

Also, what could be a good motherboard to buy now for the 133MHz FSB Athlons, but still can use it for the may-be-to-come 166MHz? I am planning to use DDR333 memeory now, and keep it to later. I heard that ECS boards are crap, and cannot handle such increase in FSB to 166MHz, though its bios says it can do that..

Is it true the MSI 333MHz board is the best for this option..?

Or maybe I will need to buy a new motherboard if AMD increased the FSB to 166MHz..?

Any info will help..
Thanks,

eden

Champion
Barton will have 166MHZ FSB as well as one Tbred model, the XP2700.
I think a lot of current mobos do support 166MHZ FSB, but not officially, and the chipsets are not validated but rather CAN.
What you're better off is to wait a bit to hear more about which mobos will truly be able to do that switch without waiting for the new chipsets line which will have to create new mobos.

--
Where did your THGC username come from and why did you choose it? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A>