Dimension 8300 problem with camera and USB port

8300 purchased in April, WinXP Pro,3.0gig, 512 Ram. Just tried to
download from digital camera using USB connection and nothing happens
except an icon in systray showing "Safely Remove Hardware". I know
cable is OK, works fine in my several years old Compaq laptop. Tried
connecting on 1901FP monitor, and connection on front of computer.
Device manager shows all USB connections working properly. Have not
tried ports on back of computer, hate to think that would be necessary
for a once in while connection. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Catharine
6 answers Last reply
More about dimension 8300 problem camera port

    Try the back of the case USB connection before troubleshooting anything else.
    And if that works, then just leave the cord connected to the back all the time
    so you don't have to reach back there every time you want to connect your
    camera.

    BT

    "Catharine" <catw34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > 8300 purchased in April, WinXP Pro,3.0gig, 512 Ram. Just tried to
    > download from digital camera using USB connection and nothing happens
    > except an icon in systray showing "Safely Remove Hardware". I know
    > cable is OK, works fine in my several years old Compaq laptop. Tried
    > connecting on 1901FP monitor, and connection on front of computer.
    > Device manager shows all USB connections working properly. Have not
    > tried ports on back of computer, hate to think that would be necessary
    > for a once in while connection. Any help gratefully appreciated.
    >
    > Catharine

    Which camera? Cameras generally have two modes, both, in theory supported
    by XP, but not always.

    My suggestion? Buy a card reader. Don't keep plugging the camera in.

    Tom
    "Catharine" <catw34@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > 8300 purchased in April, WinXP Pro,3.0gig, 512 Ram. Just tried to
    > download from digital camera using USB connection and nothing happens
    > except an icon in systray showing "Safely Remove Hardware". I know
    > cable is OK, works fine in my several years old Compaq laptop. Tried
    > connecting on 1901FP monitor, and connection on front of computer.
    > Device manager shows all USB connections working properly. Have not
    > tried ports on back of computer, hate to think that would be necessary
    > for a once in while connection. Any help gratefully appreciated.
    >
    > Catharine

    Not really an answer, as such, but just to say that your PC, in principle,
    can talk to cameras ok.
    I normally have my camera connected via a hub built into my Microsoft
    Natural keyboard,
    which is connected to one of the rear USB ports. However, I just tried it
    connected directly to a front USB port and it works fine, just the same.
    I know this doesn't really solve your problem, but at least it shows there's
    no basic issue stopping it ever working.

    John

    P.S. Dimension 8300, 3GHz, 1Gb RAM, XP Pro.

    I'm not sure why the

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<04mdnUydlaiLDAfcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>...
    > Which camera? Cameras generally have two modes, both, in theory supported
    > by XP, but not always.
    >
    > My suggestion? Buy a card reader. Don't keep plugging the camera in.
    >
    > Tom

    Camera is Olympus 510, and works on the laptop which runs XP Home. I'm
    concerned more about the USB ports as I'm planning on buying a new
    printer which has USB connection. And I did try the ports on the back
    with the same result. Card reader is a good idea, but do want to
    reassure myself that USB ports are working properly.

    Thanks all,

    Catharine

    >> Which camera? Cameras generally have two modes, both, in theory
    >> supported
    >> by XP, but not always.
    >>
    >> My suggestion? Buy a card reader. Don't keep plugging the camera in.
    >>
    >> Tom
    >
    > Camera is Olympus 510, and works on the laptop which runs XP Home. I'm
    > concerned more about the USB ports as I'm planning on buying a new
    > printer which has USB connection. And I did try the ports on the back
    > with the same result. Card reader is a good idea, but do want to
    > reassure myself that USB ports are working properly.
    >
    > Thanks all,
    >
    > Catharine

    If you've not already, I'd consider updating the camera software. Since the
    camera works on your old laptop (USB1.0), but not on the 8300(USB2.0) but is
    recognized by Windows XP with the devices systray icon, then perhaps the
    software doesn't know how to handle the 8300's newer ports.

    ?

    Stew
  6. Quote:

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<04mdnUydlaiLDAfcRVn-hQ@comcast.com>...
    > Which camera? Cameras generally have two modes, both, in theory supported
    > by XP, but not always.
    >
    > My suggestion? Buy a card reader. Don't keep plugging the camera in.
    >
    > Tom

    Camera is Olympus 510, and works on the laptop which runs XP Home. I'm
    concerned more about the USB ports as I'm planning on buying a new
    printer which has USB connection. And I did try the ports on the back
    with the same result. Card reader is a good idea, but do want to
    reassure myself that USB ports are working properly.

    Thanks all,

    Catharine

Dell Connection USB Computers