I need info on Socket 7 motheboards

mil_lite

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002
I recently acquired a Compaq Presario with a Socket 7 motherboard and a 200Mhz Pentium processor. I was reading one of the articles on here and was just looking for a second opinion. Is it possible to switch my old processor with a faster AMD processor as long as it is Socket 7 compatible? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Depends on the board. I ran a K6-2 400 on one using the 2x mutiplier (which the CPU converts to 6x), but that was on an MMX system. The Compaqs I've worked on have either supported a 3.3v Pentium or a 2.8v Pentium MMX, no voltage selection.

While the AMD will run at 2.8v, it will run hot, requiring good cooling, such as a Socket A cooler. But if you have the desktop chassis, your CPU is probably directly below the hard drive, leaving no room for a cooler that large. Mine worked with a custom made extra wide low profile cooler.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

If its a Super Socket 7 M/B you can up to its onboard limitations, if its a regular Socket 7 M/B, you are limited to its standard setup that the BIOS allows, and the chipset capabilities of the M/B. You need to start your endeavors from the manual if you were lucky enough to have acquired the M/B manual, or look on the M/B itself and find the Manufacturers name and model # of the M/B and go to the manufacturers website, and search out the info you need, theres a lot of older M/Bs you can still get manuals for. You will need the manual to know how to set the onboard jumpers, which most all of the older M/Bs came with.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, I've ran a lot of K6-2's on "non compatable" boards without problems. It's mearly a voltage and cooling issue. If the board provides 2.8v core instead of 3.3v, it will work with adequate cooling. Been there, done that. Manuals are full of bogus limitations for compatability.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
It's a Compaq, why bother? :smile: Used to own one and it was the worst rig in my life, tossed it when I needed to upgrade, they were pretty crappy with upgrade options. Don't know if after the 486 ages they changed that or not, but if they didn't then you're better off saving for a home built system.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS