Sign in with
Your question

advice needed

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
September 14, 2002 2:06:16 AM

I am ready to put together my computer and I have a few quick questions. First of all some of my components are asus p4b533-e motorboard, antec plus1080amg case, WD special edition 80 gig hard drive, lite-on 16x dvd, lite-on 48x cd-rw, 512 mb corsair xms 2700 ram.

Question 1. I have a Pent 2.4b chip and some Artic silver should I use the Artic silver or just use the stock material that is already on the heatsink. Will it void the warranty for the chip if I do use the artic silver.

question 2 as far as the hard drive, dvd drive, and cd-rw drive. what is the best location to put them as far as primary and secondary IDE. I will be installing a recordable dvd drive down the line.

questions 3 Is it best to install everything and then boot-up for the first time or go little by little. If little by little what would you recommend.

Question 4 Any other tips.

Thanks alot for any advice.

More about : advice needed

September 14, 2002 2:49:55 AM

1. Use the Arctic Silver if you have it. It shouldn't void the warranty unless you apply it incorrectly. Unless you're a complete spaz, I think you'll be okay.

2. I would put the hdd on IDE 1 and make it the master. I would put the DVD or CD-RW (which ever you will be using most)on IDE 2 and make that the master. Any other IDE devices you have you could put in the remaining spots.

3. Once you have the mobo, hdd and your DVD or CD-RW installed, install the RAM and video card only. Make sure you load up all the essential drivers, etc. Run it for a while and make sure it's stable. Then install the rest of your PCI devices and peripherals ONE AT A TIME. Run it for a while each time you add something and make sure it works okay. It makes it easier to diagnose problems.

4. Read your manual thoroughly! Check to make sure all connections are good and jumpers are set correctly. Keep band-aids at the ready. Shave your head first. This way you won't have any hair to pull out of your head. Do whatever Crashman tells you.

Good luck.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.
September 14, 2002 3:04:16 AM

Just a clarification on something the above poster said...

Yes use the Artic Silver... but make sure you scrape off any compound that came pre-applied to your heat sink. Use a razor blade... then swab it down with some acetone or rubbing alcohol and give it a good rubbing..... THEN use the Arctic Silver.
Related resources
September 14, 2002 3:10:54 AM

I mostly agree with the other two posts. However, especially if you are using Win XP, boot with all hardware installed. Also, if at all possible, do not put your source and target CD/DVD drives on the same IDE cable if you intend to copy disks. That config does not allow direct copy from one to the other.

sz
September 14, 2002 3:25:56 AM

Quote:
Yes use the Artic Silver... but make sure you scrape off any compound that came pre-applied to your heat sink. Use a razor blade... then swab it down with some acetone or rubbing alcohol and give it a good rubbing..... THEN use the Arctic Silver.

Good point. Even better than acetone or rubbing alcohol is brake cleaner. It dries without leaving any residue. Plus, you get get a good buzz. :smile:

Here's a link to complete instructions for applying the Arctic Silver:

<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions...." target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions....;/A>

September 14, 2002 3:41:24 AM

Quote:
I mostly agree with the other two posts. However, especially if you are using Win XP, boot with all hardware installed.

I disagree. It makes diagnosing problems much easier when you install one thing at a time. If your system is running stable and you install your soundcard then suddenly it's not, then it's pretty easy to figure out that there could be a problem with the soundcard. Once you get your souncard problem figured out, then you move on.

Quote:
Also, if at all possible, do not put your source and target CD/DVD drives on the same IDE cable if you intend to copy disks. That config does not allow direct copy from one to the other.

I've never had a problem with that. Are you using EZ CD Creator? If so, throw it in the garbage and get Nero.

September 14, 2002 3:50:25 AM

I have always (Win 98 and Win XP) put all the hardware in at the start. Usually, I have a yellow flag or two, but it is pretty easy to find the culprit. I started doing that because I learned that is the best way for your plug and play OS to assign IRQ's and such. Do you agree with that?

As for the source and target CD/DVD drives on the same IDE cable, I have had problems with that. I do not use EZ CD Creator, never have. I do use Nero, and it has been faster to do CD to CD on separate cables, as the stuff does not need to be copied to the hard drive first. Right?

sz
September 14, 2002 4:10:10 AM

I usually keep the Plug & Play O/S option in the BIOS set to no. Nowadays I don't see the need to have to manually set IRQ's. Most times if there's an IRQ problem just switching PCI slots does the trick.

As far as target/source drives being on the same IDE cable, I do remember hearing about some people having trouble. I can't remember if it was the chipset or the brand of CD-RW that was the culprit. I do believe it is a problem with older stuff and for the most part newer drives/mobos don't have this problem. Although it certainly wouldn't hurt to have them on separate cable.

I don't think you would have to copy the cd to the hdd first either. I'll have to take a peek in my girlfriend's computer and see how that is set up. I'm running a SCSI right now so I can't tell you if that is the case. I think if you have relatively new equipment then you won't have any trouble. I must add that I am not 100 percent sure. Perhaps we should post these questions in the CD Writer section.

September 14, 2002 4:17:16 AM

I have my newer Plextor 40 speed writer on the same cable as my DVD-ROM drive, because if I do not, the cables won't reach. But my DVD-ROM drive does not recognize anything other than DVD's anyway, so I cannot test it!

sz
September 14, 2002 4:20:39 AM

Maybe when I switch to serial ATA on my next upgrade with the Asus A7V8X, because like I said, my cables will just not reach.

sz
September 15, 2002 2:23:05 AM

Thank you for your advice. Have not had much time to look it over yet, but I am sure it will help.
!