Thoughts on 1.7ghz celeron

hellcatjr

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
Jus wondering. I am upgrading from a p3 733mhz to a celeron 1.7ghz. Kinda wondering is this setup with ddr-333 256mb an a geforce ti200 (soon upgrading to the new one when ever it drops. rumour of delay though bah hehe) anyways jus wondering thoughts on setup. Anyone have any idea on if this performs good for gaming? I mean will i notice a bigger difference from higher clock speed. Will the lower cache from these take alot of account in on gaming? Cause i game alot that is all i care about lol. Btw i am getting a mobo based off of the Sis645 chipset.And since the new celerons 1.7 an up are based on 478 then i can upgrade to p4 at any given time. Let me get some feedback on this though.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Buy a 1.8a Ghz Northwood and OC it.

simple and easy.

<A HREF="http://neojenova.gaming-forums.com/" target="_new">http://neojenova.gaming-forums.com/</A>
216.27.16.67:27017

Don't go with the celeron. The northwood isn't that much more. My 1.8a is running at 2400. Go with a cheaper mobo if necessary, but get the northwood. I saw an msi 645 ultra (refurbished with 15 day warranty) listed in the amd section of newegg only $39 shipped which will work fine with the northwood.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I saw an msi 645 ultra (refurbished with 15 day warranty) listed in the amd section of newegg only $39 shipped which will work fine with the northwood.
Wow! It's amazing how cheaply you can build a good P4 system nowadays. The SiS motherboards are fast and stable and yet still dirt cheap. The P4 1.8A and 2GHz are both down in price a bit. DDR is at a steady price.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

Kzzrn

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
"Don't go with the celeron. The northwood isn't that much more."

Actually, I'm looking at the retail prices of a local computer store that is very price competitive compared with the other stores around here. P4 1.8 GHtz is $167. Celeron 1.7 Ghtz is $89. I'd say that is a major price difference.

"Go with a cheaper mobo if necessary"

SiS 645 based boards are some of the cheapest around. You can't really go any lower for a brand new board.

Knowledge is the key to understanding

Kzzrn

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
"But the celeron isn't that bad, it has everything the P4 willimatte does but just a smaller cache."

True, but it is also just as power hungry as the older Willimatte's were.

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
If you really can't afford a full NW P4 right now, then either:

Wait till you have more money
-Or-
Get a celeron 1.7GHz now and then upgrade later. You'll probably not be all that happy with the perf, but it'll be better than what you have now.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

eden

Champion
I get weird vibes his new Celeron system won't be that faster than his old...

--
Where did your THGC username come from and why did you choose it? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A>

Kzzrn

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Oh, and yes he should have a performance boost. But at least it won't be any worse than his current system.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I get weird vibes his new Celeron system won't be that faster than his old...
I use a P4 1.7 (Willamette w/SDRAM) at work and a P3/850 at home. They seem about the same speed. :) The Celeron may be even worse, but DDR might make up for it.

Ritesh

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ritesh_laud on 09/14/02 06:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

hellcatjr

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2002
No offense to the person who wrote above about them using a p4 celeron with sdram at work, the reason being u notice no difference in speed is your comp is only as fast as your slowest part (being yer ram) so you won't get the full bandwidth from it. But from the ppl saying i won't notice much, i jus got today an i notce a big difference. I was getting 4500+ on 3dmarks2K now i get over 6500+.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
"thoughts on a celleron 1.7"
ANSWER: no good ones, and many involve explosives.

get a P4 1.6A. probably the same or more performance at stock, more cache, far cooler running, and highly overclockable.

<b><font color=orange>My <font color=green>life <font color=red>has <font color=blue>been <font color=black>so <font color=purple>much <font color=yellow>more <font color=orange>colourful <font color=green>since <font color=blue>the <font color=red>advent <font color=black>of <font color=purple>Super <font color=red>VGA! :lol:

eden

Champion
I wouldn't be all ecstatic really, 2000 more points, yeah but if you had gotten a P4 1.8A, at 2.4GHZ, you'd get 10000 at least.

--
Where did your THGC username come from and why did you choose it? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A>

eden

Champion
You gotta love the IT guy at work, and his brilliant mind! :smile:

--

eden

Champion
the reason being u notice no difference in speed is your comp is only as fast as your slowest part (being yer ram) so you won't get the full bandwidth from it.
I think he knew that of course, but the point is that it proves how the marketting works, indeed more P4 Celerons with SDRAM are sold, than DDR, which again shows that indeed these Celerons suck, they will always be paired with the word SUCK! LHGPoobaa is right indeed, gotta love P4Celery+SDRAM+TNT2+5400RPM+128MB!

--