mercedes

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Currently running an antique PC with pentium 2, 350MHz. 256RAM
Motherboard is a Soyo BBi440BX-ITE867 (Slot1)
I want more speed (Doing Photoshop things)
What's the fastest CPU I can install on this Motherboard.
Will bios will have to be changed?
Other changes necessary? Cooling??
I have access to a Pentium 4. 550. Will it fit. Thanks a lot
jackD

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's not a <A HREF="http://www.soyousa.com/products/select.php" target="_new">legit Soyo model number</A>, could be a serial number production number. And there is no such thing as a P4 550.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, that sounds like a BIOS code for a Shuttle (or Daewoo?) board.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

mercedes

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
The info I gave came from a PC Store" Looks like they would need to come to this forum to completed their knowledge base. I opened-up the baox for visual i.d.
Motherboard says: Soyo, SY6BB, On a separate line: CE
What is the fasters CPU I can install on this. Is it worth it. I am not a game fan but do a lot of Photoshop (very slow.) If I go with the fastest PCU possible (without changing the motherboard) will I see a significant difference in performance. Thanks.
jackD

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, this is a tough call. Soyo says 500, which means at least the old Katmai core (512k of half speed, off die cache instead of 256k of full speed, on die cache) PIII 600 will work They simply neglected to update their compatbility table when new processors were released. And since that board is overclockable to at least 133MHz FSB, the old Katmai core PIII 600B will work.

Now as far as "E" and "EB" processors (Coppermine core), those can work, but might need a little "help" to work. You see, the oldest board designs didn't support core voltage detection below 1.8v, and all Coppermines are 1.75v or less. You could probably use a 1000EB, but you might need to raise the detected voltage to 1.80v or 1.85v. The easiest way to do that would be to buy a Socket 370 version and an adjustable voltage Slotket, such as the Abit Slotket III, Iwill Slocket II...Abit, MSI, and Aopen also made them. All are hard to find.

The second easiest way to raise the detected voltage is to buy an ordinary non-adjustable sloteket and a socket CPU, and make the adjustments through modification. See <A HREF="http://www.crashman.dns2go.com" target="_new">http://www.crashman.dns2go.com</A> for instructions on the modification.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, a note about power, you'll probably want to use ATX power for that board, as AT boards using AT power supplies often have trouble providing enough current on the 3.3v line.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Based on the information you provided, your motherboard most certainly contains the Intel 440BX Chipset. The Intel 440BX Chipset is a Pentium2/Pentium3 based chipset. Soyo motherboards with the Intel 440BX chipset are listed here: SY-6BA+IV (will accept a Pentium3 800E (800MHz) coppermine for sure, $105), SY-6BA+III, SY-6IBM, SY-6BB Family. The SY-6BB motherboard has serious upgrade problems and was thankfully discontinued (R.I.P). If you own any motherboard other than the SY-6BA+IV (revision D or E), replace your motherboard, cpu and power supply (possible case upgrade also). I highly suggest a [AMD XP 1600+ & motherboard with PC100/PC133 memory support & AMD approved power supply & ATX case] combo for a serious upgrade (about $150). In this case, you will definitely see a performance boost!

"Who drunk my apple juice?!"

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
D00D, he has AT, not ATX. Maybe he has a reason for that. And what's wrong with the SY-6BA+III? It's one of my best boards, more stable than the BE6-II! Compatability issues that you perceive with the BA6+III do not exist, ran mine with a PIII 700@933 and a PIII 1000EB. And I already told him how to solve any VRM compatability problems on his 6BB.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I don't think they make cars any longer (I believe they sold their automotive division). Maybe the sale didn't go through. Anyway, they used to sell complete systems, I don't know if they do any longer, and don't know if they made their own boards or simply had their own BIOS.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
"Compatability issues that you perceive with the BA6+III do not exist"

You read my post too fast without thinking about it. Who said anything about compatabililty issues with the BA6+III? I said there were many problems with his/her MOBO. After all, that is what this post is all about, right. I only specifically favored the SY-6BA+IV because it is the best of the bunch.

"D00D, he has AT, not ATX"
Huh??? I suggested ATX for a complete AMD XP 1600+ overhaul.

Dude, go back to sleep!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you own any motherboard other than the SY-6BA+IV (revision D or E), replace your motherboard, cpu and power supply (possible case upgrade also).
It doesn't sound like an opinion, but a recomondation. That was after mentioning (specifically) the BA6+III, which I know to be a top notch board. Maybe you need to reread your own post.

He might have a good reason not to upgrade his case. I just bought an AT board myself for my set top box, because it has 6 slots instead of the four found on mATX boards, and I have an AT case about the size of a large VCR.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
Simple misunderstanding. Sorry for snapping, Atlanta Falcons lost again! But just to clarify, I only mentioned the SY-6BA+IV because my brother had this mobo and thus i am absolutely sure this mobo will at least use a 800E pentium3 processor. In that case he/she could buy just this processor(possibly overclock it), nothing else. But he/she doesn't have this mobo so it doesn't matter. I have heard horror stories about his/her particular board, mainly in reference to upgrading to P3s. Your BA6+III is not a problem board, this you have explained. But anyway. $105 for a P3. Cost too much in my opinion. That's when I suggested the complete XP 1600+ overhaul (ATX case for this upgrade path only, not for his/her current mobo), which would only cost about $150. Further, the 1600+ could be overclocked easily to 2100+ speed. I do not suggest replacing his/her current motherboard with the SY-6BA+IV motherboard and pentium3 -- a misunderstanding. My post should have read: If your going to upgrade to a pentium3, I would strongly consider going with a XP 1600+, socket A mobo, AMD approved power supply and ATX case combo. Maybe I should go to sleep!

mercedes

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Well guy, due to my deep ignorance of the subject, you have succeeded in getting me totally lost. Do I understand it right? I should forget about upgrading my MOBO with a P3 500 as it won't work. I should replace the MOBO , case, power supply and CPU. As I do not have the keys to any bank, what make/no are you suggesting. Thanks a lot
jackD

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds reasonable. But he could likely upgrade to a Coppermine if he adjusted the detected voltage to 1.80 or 1.85v and used an ATX power supply. Anyway, I just bought a Gigabyte AT board that is compatable with all PIII's simply so I could use a certain small case I have for a settop box, which is my explaination for why there may be good reasons he want's to stay with the outdated AT form factor (I can't find any mATX cases the size of my little AT case for under $100).

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
I do not recommend a Pentium3 upgrade. I do however, recommend that you get a AMD 1600+ CPU (retail), Socket A motherboard, AMD approved power supply and a ATX case. Now, you've exhausted me on this topic. I wonder when Applebees closes.