Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Windows 7 and 7.1 Surround

Last response: in Windows 7
August 18, 2009 3:15:05 AM

Hey everyone,

I installed windows 7 today, I'm a big fan of hooking up my comp to the TV and watching movies. It was a pain to get the video card working but all is good now. When i thought I was ready to start watching some quality TV, I came across an even bigger problem: Only 2 of my speakers were working, i went to the hardware and sound configs in the control panel and set it to 7.1 surround, sure enough it recognizes all of them, when i test it all 7 speakers and the subwoffer work perfectly, however no other program is using them, they all only use 2 speakers :(  .

I've tried winamp, vlc, windows media center, media player classic and it happens with all of them.

Help!

Thanks

More about : windows surround

August 18, 2009 3:32:04 AM

Most likely because those programs you're using, or the media you're playing isn't anything more then stereo. If you want 7.1 you have to play media that supports 7.1 surround.

OR if you're using a Creative Card, most of them have a feature that allows fake surround sound. Even if the media is not.
m
l
August 18, 2009 3:39:15 AM

Yeah i have an Audigy 2 SE, i was using windows xp before and all the speakers worked while i watches the stuff, i dont care if they play separate things i just want them all to play at the same time
m
l
Related resources
October 31, 2009 11:16:42 AM

having the same problem. when tested each speaker works yet when listening to audio or watching videos the computer only uses 2. had full use of all speakers in xp and vista

anyone found a fix or a workround?
m
l
November 6, 2009 11:42:45 PM

Really annoying how it works in my speaker test but not in applications like firefox or itunes...
m
l
January 23, 2010 1:35:07 PM

I had the same issue with my 5.1 system in Windows 7. Only 2 speakers would work when using Media Player or playing games. It worked fine in XP. When testing the individual speakers, they worked fine.

What I did to fix this was go into the 'Manage Audio Devices'. My default device was '2 High Definition Audio Device', just a bog standard one on the Motherboard.
I entered the properties of that device and went to the 'Enhancements' tab.
There was an option there called 'Speaker Fill'. The description of which was "Speaker Fill creates a virtual environment for playback of stereo audio sources on surround speaker systems"

Selecting that option fixed the issue for me. It doesn't sound brilliant in all applications, but it's a good step forward.
m
l
August 19, 2012 5:26:39 AM

Guys, try this.

In REALTEK audio, assign the back speakers to front speakers. In windows control panel, click sound, right click speakers, configure. Choose Stereo.

Now go play a movie or an mp3. It should be coming through all of your speakers. I had it set up 5.1, but having movies only coming through the center speaker and mp3s only coming front up front annoyed me too much. Now I have 5 speakers all playing the same thing at once, which is what I want.

The loss is that if you play a game that has 5.1, you aren't really getting it.
m
l

Best solution

August 25, 2012 1:43:23 PM

Hey, thought I'd do one of my rare posts...

Enabling the "Speaker Fill" enhancement as mentioned in a previous post is the correct way to handle this. Right click audio icon in task bar (or open from control panel) -> playback devices -> speakers -> Properties -> Enhancements -> Enable Speaker Fill.

This makes Windows scale up any stereo/quad/etc... sound sources (such as the stereo encoded MP3s and Movies your playing) to whatever your speaker setup is. This means all the speakers are used and you also get true 5.1/7.1 surround sound if available from the source.

Doing it the other way, where you set the output in Windows to ALWAYS be stereo, requires your speaker hardware to do the upscaling in order to use all the satellite speakers and means no proper surround sound EVER. My old Creative set up has a switch on the back of the sub to do this... but this method is just not as good as the "Speaker Fill" option!
September 4, 2012 3:17:55 PM

Best answer selected by dodonga.
m
l
March 8, 2014 6:53:46 AM

dodonga said:
Hey everyone,

I installed windows 7 today, I'm a big fan of hooking up my comp to the TV and watching movies. It was a pain to get the video card working but all is good now. When i thought I was ready to start watching some quality TV, I came across an even bigger problem: Only 2 of my speakers were working, i went to the hardware and sound configs in the control panel and set it to 7.1 surround, sure enough it recognizes all of them, when i test it all 7 speakers and the subwoffer work perfectly, however no other program is using them, they all only use 2 speakers :(  .

I've tried winamp, vlc, windows media center, media player classic and it happens with all of them.

Help!

Thanks

Use The KMPlayer ;
Under Preference -> Audio processing -> Resample/Output set "Speakers" to 5.1 channels and it will play almost all your media files in 5.1
m
l
!