Problem setting up a home network

Hopefully I can Explain this clearly.

I have 2 PC's (desktop & laptop, botyh are running XP SP2.
I am using the MN700 as a router and the MN720 on the
laptop. The desktop PC is wired into the MN700. Both PC's
can access the internet. Both PC's can see the other if I
start the MS Broadband utility. I have file sharing enabled
on specific drives on the desktop PC, none on the laptop.

My problem is that I cannot access anything that is on my
desktop from my laptop.

I have even tried enabling file sharing on the laptop and
even then I cannot access anything on it from my desktop.

The only thing I have been able to do is have the two PC's
see each other when I use the MS Broadband Utility.

What have I missed?

Thanks, Craig
11 answers Last reply
More about problem setting home network

    What happens if you go into Windows Explorer and navigate to My Network
    Places\Entire Network\Microsoft Windows Network\{YourLANName}? Do you see
    the other computer and shared folders there?
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "Craig C" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hopefully I can Explain this clearly.
    >
    > I have 2 PC's (desktop & laptop, botyh are running XP SP2.
    > I am using the MN700 as a router and the MN720 on the
    > laptop. The desktop PC is wired into the MN700. Both PC's
    > can access the internet. Both PC's can see the other if I
    > start the MS Broadband utility. I have file sharing enabled
    > on specific drives on the desktop PC, none on the laptop.
    >
    > My problem is that I cannot access anything that is on my
    > desktop from my laptop.
    >
    > I have even tried enabling file sharing on the laptop and
    > even then I cannot access anything on it from my desktop.
    >
    > The only thing I have been able to do is have the two PC's
    > see each other when I use the MS Broadband Utility.
    >
    > What have I missed?
    >
    > Thanks, Craig

    It's blank. I see neither the PC or any folders. I have
    tried from both PC's.

    Try going into Network Connections and right-click the icon representing
    your LAN and selecting Properties. Check to be sure you have (1) Client for
    Microsoft Networks, (2) File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks and
    (3) Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) installed. If not, install the missing ones
    and then restart your system.
    --

    "Craig" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > It's blank. I see neither the PC or any folders. I have
    > tried from both PC's.

    Checked both the desktop & laptop, all that you noted plus
    QoS Packet Sched. were already checked.

    Rather strange you're not seeing the other computer in Windows Explorer.
    What LAN name (don't tell me!) do you have, and is each computer reflected
    with the same name? You can check that first in your base station settings,
    then on each computer by right-clicking My Computer, selecting Properties
    and then going to the Computer Name tab. You'll see an entry for Workgroup:
    about midway on the screen. If they aren't the same, click the Change
    button, then at the bottom put a dot in the radial and enter the correct
    name. Then OK your way out and restart the system(s).
    --

    > Checked both the desktop & laptop, all that you noted plus
    > QoS Packet Sched. were already checked.

    OKay I checked the Workgroup name and all matched. While I
    had MS Broadband Utility on my laptop open I tried again to
    view something on my desktop ... this time it allowed me
    once I logged on. At that point I went back to Explorer as
    you mentioned on a previous note and still nothing there.
    Only when I went in thru the MS Broadband Utility could I
    view anything on the other PC. I rebooted the laptop to see
    if it work a 2nd time and it allowed me to access again but
    only from the Utility and again only after I logged in thru
    the Utility.

    I guess this brings up a new set of questions.
    1) Must I always go thru the Utility to access?
    2) What is missing to have it show up in Explorer?

    Craig

    I don't know, Craig. I've never used the utility. In fact, I don't have it
    installed on any Windows XP machine (all of them) here. Instead I've got
    Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control Panel/Administrative
    Tools/Services.
    --

    > OKay I checked the Workgroup name and all matched. While I
    > had MS Broadband Utility on my laptop open I tried again to
    > view something on my desktop ... this time it allowed me
    > once I logged on. At that point I went back to Explorer as
    > you mentioned on a previous note and still nothing there.
    > Only when I went in thru the MS Broadband Utility could I
    > view anything on the other PC. I rebooted the laptop to see
    > if it work a 2nd time and it allowed me to access again but
    > only from the Utility and again only after I logged in thru
    > the Utility.
    >
    > I guess this brings up a new set of questions.
    > 1) Must I always go thru the Utility to access?
    > 2) What is missing to have it show up in Explorer?
    >
    > Craig

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Well I was persistant during this evening and I finally
    found ways to map the drives from the desktop onto the
    laptop. What I ended up doing was opening the desktop from
    the MSBN Utility then right clicked what I wanted to map
    and selected map network drive. Did soemthing similar for
    the printer that I setup to share. Still very odd about the
    Explorer My Network Places not showing anything, but oh
    well at least It now works. Thanks for all your help and
    effort.

    Craig

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    No, it does not support WDS

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I don't know, Craig. I've never used the utility. In fact, I don't have
    >it installed on any Windows XP machine (all of them) here. Instead I've
    >got Wireless Zero Configuration enabled in Control Panel/Administrative
    >Tools/Services.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Craig" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> OKay I checked the Workgroup name and all matched. While I
    >> had MS Broadband Utility on my laptop open I tried again to
    >> view something on my desktop ... this time it allowed me
    >> once I logged on. At that point I went back to Explorer as
    >> you mentioned on a previous note and still nothing there.
    >> Only when I went in thru the MS Broadband Utility could I
    >> view anything on the other PC. I rebooted the laptop to see
    >> if it work a 2nd time and it allowed me to access again but
    >> only from the Utility and again only after I logged in thru
    >> the Utility.
    >>
    >> I guess this brings up a new set of questions.
    >> 1) Must I always go thru the Utility to access?
    >> 2) What is missing to have it show up in Explorer?
    >>
    >> Craig

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    You don't need the BroadBand Utility to access files and printers on other
    computers.

    On both computers, in the Local Area Connection Properties:
    1. select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP); click the Properties button
    2. click Advanced
    3. select the WINS tab
    4. select the "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP" radio button
    5. click OK; click OK; click Close

    "Browsing" won't work without NetBIOS over TCP.

    In Windows Explorer, select My Network Places, Entire Network, Microsoft
    Windows Network. If the Workgroup name you have chosen doesn't show up, try
    restarting the computer.

    If the Workgroup name shows up, click on the + sign beside it. It can take
    up to about 15 minutes for this list to be populated, although if you
    restart a computer, it should show up in the list on the other computer
    after a few seconds.

    If this doesn't work, please open a Command Prompt window, run the command

    ipconfig /all

    and post the results.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

    "Craig" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > OKay I checked the Workgroup name and all matched. While I
    > had MS Broadband Utility on my laptop open I tried again to
    > view something on my desktop ... this time it allowed me
    > once I logged on. At that point I went back to Explorer as
    > you mentioned on a previous note and still nothing there.
    > Only when I went in thru the MS Broadband Utility could I
    > view anything on the other PC. I rebooted the laptop to see
    > if it work a 2nd time and it allowed me to access again but
    > only from the Utility and again only after I logged in thru
    > the Utility.
    >
    > I guess this brings up a new set of questions.
    > 1) Must I always go thru the Utility to access?
    > 2) What is missing to have it show up in Explorer?
    >
    > Craig

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Thank you so much for this information! I spend 4
    frustrating hours trying to figure this out.

Routers Laptops File Sharing Desktops Networking