need more "Powerleap" info please

bypick

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
In the "Powerleap" catalog, some CPU upgrades are referenced as "Tualatin." Please, someone tell me what is the difference between a "Tualatin" and a regular CPU.
Thanks! The unlearned old coot bypick........

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PIII cores were released in three versions.

"Katmai" cores were produced on a 0.25 micron process and ran up to 600MHz. These cores had 512kb off die L2 cache running at half the processor speed.

"Coppermine" cores were produced on a 0.18 micron process and run from 600 to 1100MHz. These cores have a 256kb on die L2 cache running at full processor speed.

"Tualatin" cores are the newest PIII cores and are produced on a 0.13 micron process and run from 1133 to 1400MHz. They are available with either 256kb or 512kb (for -S versions) on die / full speed L2 caches with data pre-fetch.

In short the Tualatin cores are faster and run cooler.

- JW

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Please, someone tell me what is the difference between a "Tualatin" and a regular CPU.
Also, even though Tualatins are Socket 370 they use a slightly different power delivery system than earlier Socket 370 processors. This unfortunately makes them incompatible with all older Socket 370 mobos. You need the i815b chipset for a Tualatin. Or you can use a Powerleap adapter to allow the Tually to run on an older mobo. I've got an adapter sitting at home and I'm awaiting delivery of a Tualatin-S 1.26 GHz. Should arrive tonight! When I get it set up in a couple days, I'll post here on whether the adapter works properly.

BTW, the Tualatin is available in both Celeron and Pentium 3 flavors. The Pentium 3 version is overall around 20% faster per clock due to double the L2 cache and a 33% faster FSB and memory bus.

Ritesh

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'll sell you a Powerleap IP3/T adapter for $60, you can pick whatever speed CPU you like, buy it retail, and get Intel's 3 year warranty in the process. But anything over 1GHz would need to be a Celeron to give you the 100MHz FSB.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

bypick

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
Thanks for the offer Crashman...I think powerleap offers a 3 year warantee on the whole thing...however, I still think I may just buy a new one and forget this stuff...Thanks everyone! You all are very helpful!