Sign in with
Your question

NEW CPU QUESTION!!!

Last response: in CPUs
September 18, 2002 3:38:39 AM

I recently bought a retail Athlon XP 1900+, Arctic Silver III, and a MSI K7T266 Pro2-A mobo.

My question is, how do i put on the arctic silver on my cpu/hsf?? The heatsink fan came retail w/ the cpu... so should i even apply some at all??? Why?? And if so, how so??

Should i put it on the core?? or on the hsf??? I'm thinking on the core, because since i know that's where it's intended to go, that's where it should be... right? Oh, and i don't think i should bother cleanin the surfaces... because I haven't even removed them out of their packages yet... so they still are clean... right??

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!

More about : cpu question

September 18, 2002 3:50:57 AM

If your not planning to overclock I don't think you should put any ASIII on the chip. I think the voids your warrenty. If you are going to overclock you need a better hsf. If you are going to put some on, then go to articsilver's website and they have detailed instructions on how to put the stuff on.
September 18, 2002 3:52:46 AM

no... im not going to overclock... and this pc is for a friend that don't konw much about pc's. Will it affect the pc later on when he uses it... say in like 18 months?

Related resources
September 18, 2002 4:03:49 AM

I have a very similar setup. Same processor, chipset, and thermal grease. Arctic Silver 3 will make a difference regardless of heatsink so I'd use it. It is best to take a look at the Arctic Silver website, but here are the instruction verbatim:

1) Yes you must still clean your heatsink and processor if they are new. Make sure you clean off (avoid scraping)all the thermal compound that came on the heatsink. They say use 99% alcohol, but that's hard to find and 91% will work just fine.

From this point on don't touch with fingers. Use clean credit cards, lintless rags, whatever works.

2) Apply an extremely small of Arctic Silver 3 to the bottom of your heatsink. Rub it in like a polish. The heatsink should look the same as it did before aplication, save it will be duller.

3) Apply a thin layer to the core of the CPU. It doesn't take much at all. Thicker is not better.
When mounting the heatsink, try not to wiggle it. It can make a mess and reduces the effectiveness.

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.
September 18, 2002 4:20:37 AM

so but it on the hsf like a polish... polish it only on the spot where the cpu core will touch?? or polish it on the whole bottom part of the hsf??

Oh, and what will happen if a little of the paste squeezed out (when i mount the hsf to the cpu) of the core and got on the cpu itself... will i have a dead cpu?? will it still work? should i clean it with the acetone??

September 18, 2002 4:57:55 AM

no one here knows?!??!

September 18, 2002 5:15:50 AM

anyone?

September 18, 2002 6:12:47 AM

it wont hurt anything, unless your talking about gobs and gobs of it. there are instructions on the artic silver website.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
September 18, 2002 7:33:52 AM

whats this crap about arctic silver voiding warantee's??? sheer bollocks.

all you need is the tinyiest amount on the central core, applied with a razor blade or credit card... paper thin if not thinner.

as for overclocking, so long as you dont damage the cpu by letting it grossly overheat or too much voltage (2v+)it should be fine.

yes overclocking does shorten the lifespan, but the lifespan of a typical cpu is 10 years or so... inconsequential.

<b><font color=green>A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing! :lol:  </b></font color=green>
September 18, 2002 1:12:06 PM

"This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."

This is straight off the AMD's Website. It doesn't say anything about thermal grease but I'd play it on the safe side and not apply any. He's not overclocking so what difference is 2C going to make? If he does overclock he shouldn't be doing on the retail hsf anyway.
September 18, 2002 4:20:27 PM

Quote:
This is straight off the AMD's Website. It doesn't say anything about thermal grease but I'd play it on the safe side and not apply any. He's not overclocking so what difference is 2C going to make? If he does overclock he shouldn't be doing on the retail hsf anyway.

What are you clinically insane? Or do you just enjoy giving out bad advice? If you're honestly that clueless, then you really shouldn't even be giving advice in the first place.

Thermal conductants (grease, pads, etc.) are a practical necessity when dealing with CPUs these days. They're not covered by the warantee simply because AMD doesn't endorse any specific method or brand. However, to not use one would be insane. Air is a <i>horrible</i> heat conductant and so not using <i>anything</i> can be incredibly dangerous to the CPU because <i>any</i> gaps between the heatsink and the die surface would therefore mean thermal death.

So unless you want people to turn their CPUs into overpriced smoking keychains, I highly suggest you stop telling people to mount a heatsink without any sort of thermal conductant.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>
September 18, 2002 4:30:26 PM

<A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com" target="_new">http://www.arcticsilver.com&lt;/A>

follow the links and look for directions/help on appling paste/grease.

and yes your amd athlon NEEDS to have AS3 on. otherwise your risking overheating. AS3 will reduce your temps by 5 degrees celsius

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 09/18/02 12:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 18, 2002 8:50:00 PM

Quote:
otherwise your risking overheating. AS3 will reduce your temps by 5 degrees celsius

Oh so if the thermal pad HSF provided 50ºC, and AS3 gets you 45ºC, you are preventing overheating risks?
That was a very misinformed argument/comment by you. Any retail HSF retail AMD CPU can use thermal pads IF it was included in Retail, which is safe. Otherwise AMD would not put thermal pads in retail CPUs, no?
The conclusion is, to correct you, if you get a Retail Athlon CPU that comes with thermal pad HSF, you CAN use it because it was included, and therefore there is NO RISK as it was approved. You can remove it and use paste if you want, but you DO NOT risk overheating.

--
Where did your THGC username come from and why did you choose it? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Tell here!</A>
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2002 9:19:42 PM

Dude, I dubble ASIII on with the tip of the tube to get a thin uneven layer. When I put the sink on and remove it, I always find the stuff has flattened out completely to the point the the high spots on the sink/core interface are bare.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
September 18, 2002 9:50:38 PM

I always tell people to put on as much AS3 as possible. 3-9 full size tubes worth. Eventually it will spill out all over your memory and your northbridge, coating the motherboard. Enough and your HS will simply "float" above the CPU on cooling currents of silver! SHIBBY!

My pc is now completely coated in silver, every component a beautiful dull gray. You can't even imagine how cool my pc runs now, I get Athlon XP temps of like 12 degrees C. The pc won't actually turn on, but how 'bout those temps!

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>
September 18, 2002 11:28:14 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
*wipes tear*

i needed that.

think we need a summary here.
A. Modern CPU's need decent heatsinks.
B. Some come with sticky pads or pre applied thermal paste, which is ok if you are not overclocking.
C. The processor may work without any thermal interface material, <b>however you should be praying like hell that both the surface of the core and the bottom of the heatsink are perfectly flat!<b> In reality they are not. both have tiny/microscopic ridges and grooves that prevent perfect contact. thus the need for a mobile medium (paste) to fill the gaps.
D. Using arctic silver MAY reduce temps by 5C, but probably only if you are comparing it to a thick & bulky thermal pad.
E. If you arnt overclocking, then any thermal paste will work acceptably... hell dan @ <A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com" target="_new">http://www.dansdata.com&lt;/A> once used toothpaste and vegemite with similar results! (but such substances would smell bad and dry out over time)
F. <b>DO NOT</b> reuse a thermal pad once it has melted to the shape of the core. If you have to take off the heatsink, remove the pad and use thermal grease instead.

think thats about it.

<b>Small.Cute.Fluffy.Evil. And Creator Of Perminant Hearing Loss If Ever Used As A Qtip!</b>
September 19, 2002 1:28:15 AM

Of course, but the claim of risk of overheating is very FUD-directed.
That is all I wanted you to know, because I get 55ºC temps often in Summertime, with no paste on, probably thermal pad that came with Volcano 7.

--
Where did your THGC username come from and why did you choose it? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Tell here!</A>
September 19, 2002 1:50:21 AM

What are you flaming me for? The quote was straight off AMD's website. All I said is that it might void his warrenty and that ASIII is not necessary if he isn't overclocking. The retail heatsink comes with some sort of thermal substance. If he is overclocking, he should get a different HSF, because even with ASIII the retail hsf probably won't be enough. Read post carefully before you go about flaming people for bad advice.
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2002 2:25:34 AM

Sarcasm of course being the lowest form of humor. But anyway, all I'm suggesting is that there is no need to freak out about putting on a few micrograms too much. I've done various testing and found that a small amount is fine and if the excess is very little, the amount squeezed out is very small, so the "mess" is very small. And that the viscosity of ASIII is so low that if you DID put a whole freaking tube of the stuff on, the pressure of the clip would STILL squish out any excess. So go ahead and coat your whole motherboard, you might create a short and blow it up, but rest assured your CPU will still have proper contact with the heatsink.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
September 19, 2002 2:53:53 AM

right, if you applied AS3 correctly it would probably be down to 50. ya know?

for example.... my pentium 4 ... i didn't apply any paste or anything. temps were at like 48. popped on some AS2, it droped to 43.

i'm not fudding lol ... just stating my point of view. i see your pov too .. like why bother at 55 it'll still work.

Temperature isn't all that critical.... and ya you can make that arguement and win.

i think it used for overclockers. thats a different issue then.

but ya overheating happens. it's like this, you put on AS3 your temps drop 5C. It makes a difference if your computer locks up because it overheated or not.

so in all logical sense, it does infact make sense. it's like 5 extra point on your final average. think it's stupid... well it's a difference from an 85 and a 90. B or an A ... thats a difference of 3.0 or 4.0 averaged into your gpa.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
September 19, 2002 4:31:51 AM

Sarcasm being a low form of humor? How dare you? Oh oh like you're one to talk with yer fancy nick....
worst....comment.....ever....

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
September 19, 2002 4:21:47 PM

BTW, that wasn't directed at you. I too put a little extra mound dead center. In reality (where I don't like to dwell to often) it makes NO difference. I've used too much, too little. Finally I poored the right amount and my pooridge ladies and gentlemen is JUST RIGHT!

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>
!