Sign in with
Your question

OMFG !!!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
September 18, 2002 4:10:50 AM

** i lied, go away **

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.

More about : omfg

September 18, 2002 4:23:08 AM

where did you get these benchmarks from?!?!? a link or some concrete evidence would be nice.

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!
September 18, 2002 4:24:17 AM

Too bad their stock hit a 52 week low at 6.83. If you truly believe your source...

I would love to see further details on this...I hope some public articles hit the street soon.

Complicated proofs are proofs of confusion.
Related resources
September 18, 2002 4:29:38 AM

Too bad this CPU is going to run at like 100 celsius probably :p 
September 18, 2002 4:32:31 AM

** nothing to see here, move along **

Benchmarks are like sex, everybody loves doing it, everybody thinks they are good at it.
September 18, 2002 5:31:12 AM

"Where the hell are ya Matisaro?"

Need someone to pass the crack pipe too?

I saw it sitting there on the table and damn, it sure was fast...

Hopefully AMD can get new XP chips out now, paper launches are worthless hype.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.
September 18, 2002 5:53:56 AM

That is some good news (to some :)  ).
if you'r friend get to bench Hammer again please ask him (if posible) to run <A HREF="http://www.specbench.org/osg/cpu2000/" target="_new">SPEC_CPU2000</A>. this benchmark is composed of SPEC_int and SPEC_fp and is the standard for mesuring CPU preformance and should give us a better prespective on Hammer. The benchmark have to be compiled, if your dude has acsess to X86-64 compilers that would be just perfect.

Im assuming you mean <A HREF="http://www.specbench.org/gpc/opc.static/opcview70.html" target="_new">SPECviewperf</A>? thats also a good bench sence it is composed of number of test instead of just one.

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 09/18/02 09:01 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 18, 2002 6:46:32 AM

Quote:
Where the hell are ya Matisaro?

iib imed me, I was gonna check the forum on friday because I get 3 hours of sleep between my 16 hour workdays lately, but this call motivated me to do so earlier.

removed by request

:wink: Heatsinks, if you dont overclock, use the <b>STOCK!</b> :wink:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Matisaro on 09/19/02 00:02 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 18, 2002 7:09:03 AM

These pictures, they intrigue me. Are they used for blackmail to extract information from AMD?

Complicated proofs are proofs of confusion.
September 18, 2002 7:16:06 AM

Thanks a lot Texas, this is fresh air for our hopes. And I think is better for everyone, because competition give us better CPUs for less money. So good for AMD and Intel fans.

Just a question: I'm quite sure that 100% in that benckmark won't mean 100% is games, encoding, etc. Anyone can guess what could be the % in each area? (I mean someone who knows a rough correlation between benchmarks ...)

Oh yes, if I haven't say it ... GREAT!

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
September 18, 2002 8:10:21 AM

Actually, I don't think this is too unexpected. I mean, if you run code that used huge integers a 64-bit capable CPU would score well in excess of 200% more than a 32-bit capable CPU. Did your friend use the standard Spec suit or is this SpecInt? Also what did he use to compile it with and was the code changed in any way?

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
September 18, 2002 10:01:34 AM

it is SPECviewpref - a 3d redering benchmark based on openGL. I dont see how rendering can benfit greatly from 64bit integers. SPECviewpref comes compiled and ready to run as I understand (and see at specbench.org).

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by iib on 09/18/02 01:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 18, 2002 10:56:34 AM

specviewperf wvwn a 1ghz t-bird beat a 4 ghz P4 that dont mean much on real 3D rendering that a others story

At the end i have speak with a horny lady
September 18, 2002 11:03:52 AM

SPEC CPU 2000 int FPU that a bench.A comanche benchmark will be also good it like big cache memory systemes and CPU power.

September 18, 2002 4:48:04 PM

hopes? hopes for what? make it sound like if amd went under the world is over.

Of course hammer is better. It's a new core. but can you wait till mid 2003? People buy computers for school and graduation. AMD might be on target for the graduating year in spring. Christmas is doubtful.

Note: never buy new technology when it first hits the shelves. wait 6 months. thats a general rule of thumb with new technology. like the radeon 9700 pro for example.

well good luck to the company AMD.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
September 18, 2002 5:19:48 PM

Sure you have a source... Bahaha as if some AMD employee is going to willfully release impertinent data on their next generation CPU to the likes of texas techie... Bahahaha that’s the funniest [-peep-] I have every heard next thing you’ll tell me is your sleeping with the CEO of Intel and the President comes over for supper on a regular basis.

You sound like the sour AMD investors that started up last year about Intel's P4 scaleing capacity unlikely hood.

-Jeremy

<font color=blue>Just some advice from your friendly neighborhood blue man </font color=blue> :smile:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 18, 2002 6:07:00 PM

I hope you'll forgive me for having my reservations ?
A possible picture with you and an AMD dude isnt exactly very convincing (heck, you all know very well I could post a pic with me next to Hector Ruiz :-D); but if this is true, that so much the better. COuld you perhaps link to older posts of you with AMD related predictions that came true ? It would certainly increase your credibility.

Did your source say anything on the reasons of the delay ? At this point, I'm much more concerned about shipping dates than performance. If it ship december 2003, 100% better than a 2.8 on SPEC will almost be bare necessity..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
September 18, 2002 7:16:47 PM

Threads like this are always good for a laugh, for many reasons.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>
September 18, 2002 7:24:44 PM

Please explain the humor. I don't get it.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>
September 18, 2002 7:27:10 PM

Well, this is the first time that I see texas_techie so excited yet so affirmative.

I guess this post will decide texas_techie's credibility.
This has nothing to do with our hopes or fears.
It's a good thing to have a forum member with inside information.
So, <b>texas_techie, thanks for sharing them with us.</b>
Now we can only wait.

We will be able to tell for sure when the first Hammer models leak to the press.
But it would be a good explanation why Intel was in a hurry to show they've got ready their 3-4GHz models.
Let's wait and see.

<font color=white>if you can read this, then my sig fell off.</font color=white>
September 18, 2002 7:52:36 PM

Think of texas_techie as Pavlov.

(Not a derogatory thing towards him, BTW)

September 18, 2002 8:15:16 PM

Agreed with everyone making hype of the hammer.-But its BS wait till it drops. Of course it will be better look how old the P4 processor are now. There almost 2 years old. i have read an article about the P4's how they said that by christmas there pushing for 3ghz cpu's.... Thats insane..i remember when 300mhz was all you needed to run warcraft 2 lol now we need 4ghz processor an a ati radeon 9700 on steriods to run Doom 3 wtf lol....BTW whats the word on halo did it fall of the planet or did i miss the launch release i been wanting to play halo on the PC =)

References to my comments....
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=4556
http://www.digitalproducer.com/2002/07_jul/news/07_22/c...
http://firingsquad.gamers.com/features/idf2002/default....

and something from a japanese site for $hits an giggles
http://www.dj.st44.arena.ne.jp/xwin2/mainhtml/intelcpu/...
September 18, 2002 8:19:54 PM
September 18, 2002 9:46:38 PM

He actualy stated with the release of the first t-bred that AMD knew there was an problem with the core that prevented it from scaling further. Apparently Mat has seen his proof and believes him as well.

He hasn't been 100% accurate, but who is? I know that I generaly trust him

Also, not knowing to much about the benchmark, I can't say if I'm impressed or not. I'd rather see several different benchmarks before I celebrate a victory for AMD.

Intel still has plenty under it's sleave too, so if hammer is as good as most people hope it is, and Intell pulls out all it's rabits, well, it could be fun for CPU buyers :) 

If ignorance is bliss, then why is everyone so miserable?
September 18, 2002 9:50:33 PM

I think fat burger want to say it that(if true) Texas-tencie have only take the bench i like to tell us.On Game like Quake 3 it wont run faster that a P4 2.53 Pc1066

September 18, 2002 10:07:17 PM

I never thought of that. That's realy quire hilarious Fatburger.

September 18, 2002 10:16:33 PM

Ok, for that those that don't know, here's what Fatburger is talking about.

Pavlov is a scientist who researched conditioning. What he did, was ring a bell, and then feed a dog. He would do this repeatedly, ringing the bell first, then feeding the dog. It got to a point where he could simply ring the bell and the dog would start salivating because he expected a treat. (It's scary and it works. I had a teacher do this to me and another student with Candy. It was only a five minute test, but it works).

So, here's Texas Techie ringing his bell and everyone comes salivating over the new chip, even though he didn't provide anything of real substance (Not doubting the validity nessessarily, simply it is only one benchmark and no exact numbers).

As I stated before, it is quite funny if you look at it that way.

September 18, 2002 10:28:25 PM

As I stated before, it is quite funny if you look at it that way.

Your is even more interesting.It easy to start pro-hammer discussion.Let wait a others 9 month to know.

September 18, 2002 11:32:47 PM

Quote:
You still consider texas_techie as sharing false info or simply creating FUD news?

"Still"? I never have, and still don't. But I have never seen him post anything that couldn't easily be fake.

And of course he's contradicted himself a couple times, but who hasn't?

September 18, 2002 11:34:40 PM

If true, all we need to do is see who buys a lot of AMD stock. I like AMD's efforts, products, prices and their business plan. This type of hype is not part of it! We all feel bad that Intel seems to have the edge right now, however, let it be real!
September 18, 2002 11:45:29 PM

Well, truth be told, texas_techie has provided some useful information in the past. So I would give him some credit. I'm not exactly sure what "I have proof" is, but generally speaking, I will take into consideration what he says. It should be noted that something is only considered real when it is released, and Hammer has not been nor has its performance numbers.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
September 18, 2002 11:45:48 PM

<b>*DROOLS OBEDIENTLY*</b>
:smile:

<b><font color=green>A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing! :lol:  </b></font color=green>
September 19, 2002 4:41:30 AM

** nada **

September 19, 2002 4:48:06 AM

Matisaro - I deny any knowledge of what your referring to. In fact, check your PM.

September 19, 2002 7:02:56 AM

Quote:
Sure you have a source... Bahaha as if some AMD employee is going to willfully release impertinent data on their next generation CPU to the likes of texas techie... Bahahaha that’s the funniest [-peep-] I have every heard next thing you’ll tell me is your sleeping with the CEO of Intel and the President comes over for supper on a regular basis.

Spud hes so legit it isnt even funny.

September 19, 2002 7:07:22 AM

Quote:
Matisaro - I deny any knowledge of what your referring to. In fact, check your PM.

.......dude, its one thing to be paranoid, but this takes the cake man.

September 19, 2002 3:00:21 PM

Quote:
My apology, I judged you without knowing who Pavlov is, until Bront did, so sorry for that.

Doesn't bother me, I figured that was the case. Though I'm beginning to wonder what they're teaching in high schools nowadays :tongue:

September 19, 2002 3:37:45 PM

Quote:
Though I'm beginning to wonder what they're teaching in high schools nowadays

What, you think they actually <i>teach</i> in <i>school</i> still? These days I thought they just pushed everyone through... It certainly <i>seems</i> that way.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>
September 19, 2002 3:59:14 PM

In reply to:

Though I'm beginning to wonder what they're teaching in high schools nowadays

Well when I first read the post with the comparison to pavlov I thought pavlov was a member of the community that I hadn't run into yet.

I crossed the line into insanity so long ago I no longer have any idea which way to go to get further from the line.
September 19, 2002 4:01:42 PM

I do not believe this crap you spew, It is not thought out at all. AMD has nothing to offer, it has been that way for a very long time. You talk about crap that will be released many months on how it beats the best P4 by 100% yet AMD cannot get crap out the door today, that makes a lot of sense as AMD is bleeding to death.

I have a new Tbred direct from AMD, week 34 (you do the math) that cannot break 2Ghz. The cores still suck ass.

Not to split hairs, but clarify this for the masses... when you say, "beat it by over 100%" meaning that the bench runs were faster than a 5.6Ghz P4(2x 2.8Ghz) or it beat it in all test by x FPS or x nanoseconds? Making sure in case you reword that "by over 100%" to "beat it in 100% of the tests". We do not want the lemmings who are "salivating" to get confused.

September 19, 2002 4:56:05 PM

"I do not believe this crap you spew, It is not thought out at all. AMD has nothing to offer, it has been that way for a very long time."

...and this is comming from a person named FUGGER?

<smile>

FrizzleFried
www.trackedaggression.com
September 19, 2002 5:30:51 PM

I believe the sayig goes "money talks, bullshit walks"

I forgot to post my <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/2200.jpg" target="_new">week 34 2200+</A>

September 19, 2002 6:15:43 PM

** blah blah blah **

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
September 19, 2002 7:20:38 PM

I always have to laugh when I see your "title" below your nick: Fugger (Honorary poster).. LOL.. (Bandwith Hog) would often be a much more suitable title.

You do seem to have a nice digital camera though, or did you scan the cpu pic ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
September 19, 2002 7:30:56 PM

Quote:

...and this is comming from a person named FUGGER?

He actually behaved OK for a while, until somebody suggested that AMD wouldn't actually stay in second place for much longer. Whenever AMD has a product that's clearly better than Intel's offering, FUGGER goes wild, posts BS, maligns posters, makes up FUD, etc. Which means he was behaving like an ass for two years straight.

Apparently, it no longer takes a released product to get under his craw. Just start the rumor that there might be an AMD product in the works capable of crushing Prescott, and we've got the old FUGGER back.

It's like the reverse of Pavlov--every time the scientist rings the bell, the dog gets a slap in the face. :wink:

<i>I can love my fellow man...but I'm damned if I'll love yours.</i>
September 19, 2002 7:55:50 PM

I learned about Pavlov in Elementry school. Times have changed (And I'm not that old!)

September 19, 2002 8:00:24 PM

Quote:
The only other bench I saw was science mark (which I posted about) and it too showed over a 100% improvement over all other chips.

All other chips? Was this 100% in the SpecviewPerf over the best AMD chip as well? Or was it simply vs an Intel 2.8 GHZ?

!