Athlon 2200+ for a non overclocker?

Yenny

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
Well, I don't think I'm going to wait anymore for the new AMD CPUs to come out. I was wondering if the AMD Athlon 2200+ is a good CPU for a non overclocker, I heard they run pretty hot. I wanted to get one of the new Athlons when they came out in case I wanted to overclock sometime down the line, but I figure by the time they come out it may even be longer after that to be available in retail versions.

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
If you are not planning on doing any OC'ing on the CPU the XP 2200 is fine. If you think you will ever OC the CPU then go with the XP 2000.

I crossed the line into insanity so long ago I no longer have any idea which way to go to get further from the line.

G

Yeah it runs hot, as does my old 1400 Tbird (up to 52C with a swiftech & pabst fan), but so what ? My cpu is still perfectly stable at 65°C, so "running hot" isn't something that bothers me much. Besides, those fast P4's also run pretty hot. Unless you want a VIA or a really low clocked .13 CPU, I guess heat, big heatsinks and casefans are something we"ll have to live with. I know I can though :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =