burning cds & dvds

I need to educate myself on cd/dvd burning. We have tons of digital image
files that need to go on discs and the new computer is coming.

Can anyone direct me to a site where I can learn more about burning CD's and
DVD's???

The Dell we just ordered has a 16 x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/- RW) with double
layer write capability.

I don't even know the difference between DVD + RW and DVD - RW yet. Anyone
care to enlighten me?? What's with the whole plus & minus thing?? Thanks!!
5 answers Last reply
More about burning dvds

    I'll bet the burning software that comes with your computer has a Help file.

    You can also look here:

    "How Do I Use the Roxio Software with the CD-RW Recorder that Is Installed
    in My Dell™ Computer?"
    http://tinyurl.com/5ccel
    --
    Ted Zieglar

    "Mike" <iamglad@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I need to educate myself on cd/dvd burning. We have tons of digital image
    > files that need to go on discs and the new computer is coming.
    >
    > Can anyone direct me to a site where I can learn more about burning CD's
    and
    > DVD's???
    >
    > The Dell we just ordered has a 16 x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/- RW) with double
    > layer write capability.
    >
    > I don't even know the difference between DVD + RW and DVD - RW yet.
    Anyone
    > care to enlighten me?? What's with the whole plus & minus thing??
    Thanks!!

    Mike Richter, were you born with
    "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
    --------------------------------------
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3F2D8973.EBCD8386@mindspring.com

    ( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
    ( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

    Mike wrote:

    > I need to educate myself on cd/dvd burning. We have tons of digital image
    > files that need to go on discs and the new computer is coming.
    >
    > Can anyone direct me to a site where I can learn more about burning CD's and
    > DVD's???
    >
    > The Dell we just ordered has a 16 x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/- RW) with double
    > layer write capability.
    >
    > I don't even know the difference between DVD + RW and DVD - RW yet. Anyone
    > care to enlighten me?? What's with the whole plus & minus thing?? Thanks!!

    The most readable, concise CD Faq:
    http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/axatis/FAQs/CDR/

    CDR-Faq:
    http://www.cdrfaq.org/

    DVD Faq:
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

    What is DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-VCD, DVD-SVCD?
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvd
    http://www.videohelp.com/glossary
    http://www.videohelp.com/faq

    Best Buy is supposed to have Fuji DVD on sale. Get them if they have
    "Made in Japan" marking. Suggest you also get Verbatim DataLifePlus
    DVD+RW for testing.

    As starters unless they have changed the brand Dell is using Phillips
    writers which are a HUGE problem. So if you are having problems don't
    blame yourself or the software. It could be the drive.

    Here is a great site to help you out.
    http://www.videohelp.com/

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:23:12 GMT, "Mike" <iamglad@worldnet.att.net>
    wrote:

    >I need to educate myself on cd/dvd burning. We have tons of digital image
    >files that need to go on discs and the new computer is coming.
    >
    >Can anyone direct me to a site where I can learn more about burning CD's and
    >DVD's???
    >
    >The Dell we just ordered has a 16 x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/- RW) with double
    >layer write capability.
    >
    >I don't even know the difference between DVD + RW and DVD - RW yet. Anyone
    >care to enlighten me?? What's with the whole plus & minus thing?? Thanks!!

    My new Dell came with an NEC 3100 16x DVD writer.

    "tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > As starters unless they have changed the brand Dell is using Phillips
    > writers which are a HUGE problem. So if you are having problems don't
    > blame yourself or the software. It could be the drive.
    >
    > Here is a great site to help you out.
    > http://www.videohelp.com/
    >

    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:23:12 GMT, "Mike" <iamglad@worldnet.att.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I need to educate myself on cd/dvd burning. We have tons of digital image
    >>files that need to go on discs and the new computer is coming.
    >>
    >>Can anyone direct me to a site where I can learn more about burning CD's
    >>and
    >>DVD's???
    >>
    >>The Dell we just ordered has a 16 x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/- RW) with double
    >>layer write capability.
    >>
    >>I don't even know the difference between DVD + RW and DVD - RW yet.
    >>Anyone
    >>care to enlighten me?? What's with the whole plus & minus thing??
    >>Thanks!!

    Speaking of burning DVDs:

    ZipZoomFly has the top rated Lite-On DVD burner, SOHW-1633S, for $81.50,
    free 2nd day shipping included.

    From the ZZF site:

    Features and Benefits

    * Bulk w/Software and Cable

    * Color: Black

    * ATAPI / E-IDE Half-Height internal DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD+R9 / DVD-R /
    DVD-RW / DVD-ROM / CD-R / CD-RW / CD-ROM combination drive

    * Supported Double Layer DVD+R9 Recording Function

    * SMART-BURN avoiding Buffer UnderRun Error, Automatically adjusting
    writing strategy & running OPC to provide the best burning quality

    * SMART-X function adjusts CD-DA / VCD / DVD data extraction to a
    fastest allowable speed according to both data request rate from host
    and disk quality

    * VAS® system reduce vibration and noise during recording and reading

    * Support Fixed Packet, Variable Packet, TAO, SAO, DAO, Raw Mode Burning
    & Over-Burn

    * DVD read compliant : DVD single / dual layer ( PTP / OTP ), DVD-R (
    3.9 GB / 4.7 GB ), DVD-R multi-borders, DVD+R, DVD+R multi-sessions,
    DVD-RW, and DVD+RW

    * CD read compliant : CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM / XA, Photo-CD,
    Multi-session, Karaoke-CD, Video-CD, CD-I FMV, CD Extra, CD Plus, CD-R,
    and CD-RW

    * Supprot both 8 cm and 12 cm disc of CD and DVD family

    * Conform to Orange Book : Part 2 CD-R Volume 1, Part 2 CD-R Volume 2
    Multi Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 1 ( 1x, 2x, and 4x ), Part 3 CD-RW
    Volume 2 : High Speed, Part 3 CD-RW Volume 3 : Ultra Speed

    * Supported transfer mode : PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2 and Ultra DMA mode 2

    For the record, my only connection with ZZF/Lite-On is that I just
    bought one of these drives. It plays DVDs beautifully - haven't burned
    anything yet.

Dell Burner CD-Rom Computers