JDavis2003

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
One of my slower computers is beginning to lag behind. It has a 550MHz Pentium III with 256 MB of memory. 550MHZ is the highest speed the motherboard will accept. I use it for Office XP, a bit of Photoshop and some gaming. Would adding a second CPU be a good idea, or would I be better off adding another 256MB of memory? Would either make a significant difference?

edpsx

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
When you say 2nd CPU do you mean another computer? or another on board processor(dual)? And ram definitely helps on any XP application.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I suppose you have a dual mobo, because if not, install another CPU is imposible. But even if you have it, I think you won't benefit too much from it. The reason: as far as I know, Office, games and alike don't take advantage of dual CPU.

Windows XP is known to be a RAM eater, but 256Mb is a decend amount. 256Mb may help, but not sure it's worth. Try if some friend can give you some just for testing purpouses.

Another option is try to overclock the CPU and/or the system. Do you have the option to increase the FSB? This combined with good cooling can help and cost nothing to you. If you are interested in overclocking and don't know how to, post you entire system as detailed as you can and people here will help you.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, 550MHz is not the fastest processor your motherboard will accept, it will accept at least an 850, probably a 1000E, and most likely a Celeron Tualatin 1.4GHz if you use a Powerleap IP3/T adapter.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You can save quite a bit of money by just getting a new mainboard and a really cheap 1.3ghz duron, too.

There's several different options.

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
id stay away from the socket adapters if possible...Seen a couple cases of instability when those are used.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There were some junk adapters, Powerleap isn't a junk manufacturer though.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>