Sign in with
Your question

Do I have an AMD Thoroughbred "B"

Last response: in CPUs
September 19, 2002 5:56:03 PM

0.13 micron -- based on pictures provided by Tom, my PCB is numbered 27291 -- it supposed to be a 2200+??

Any other indications that I might have one? I've got it currently running at 2GHz in a Koolance based setup with no worries so far. Can these things really go to 2.1+ Ghz?

More about : amd thoroughbred

September 19, 2002 7:00:00 PM

The Thoroughbred B's have not been released yet.
September 19, 2002 7:51:32 PM

You pretty much summed the answer, no.
Why?
You used a Koolance, which I can assume it's water cooling, and you only got 200MHZ out of it. Yes you have Tbred A, Tbred Bs are not out.

--
Where did your THGC username come from and why did you choose it? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Tell here!</A>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 20, 2002 4:37:00 PM

Just measured my older AMD XP1900+ with my newer AMD XP 2200+ and there is indeed a 4mm size difference (per Tom's info). Is it possible it is 0.13 but doesn't have the optimizations of the "B" variant?

Koolance uses a mix of water and (as far as I can tell) anti-bacterial solution. 100% water would provide better cooling properties, but the bacterial build up over time would negate the efficiency of 100% water. I haven't tried more than 200Mhz overclock yet.

Not being out in terms of retail?? I can assure you there are many retail outlets in San Jose/Santa Clara/Fremont that get test units that DO make it to consumers. Tom is not the only one with access to "B" processors.

Eden, "...and you only got 200MHZ out of it." why the confrontational attitude - drop it please it serves no useful purpose.
September 21, 2002 2:15:53 AM

It wasn't directed as an insult to your watercooler, it was to show the actual fact that yes Tbred As give out such OCs. Sorry if I sounded like I insulted your property!

--
Where did your THGC username come from and why did you choose it? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Tell here!</A>
September 23, 2002 2:58:52 AM

Quote:
Is it possible it is 0.13 but doesn't have the optimizations of the "B" variant?

All T-Breds are .13

Quote:
Not being out in terms of retail?? I can assure you there are many retail outlets in San Jose/Santa Clara/Fremont that get test units that DO make it to consumers.

You don't have a "B". And good luck getting one when they're officially released. You can assure me by telling me where I could get one......if theres "many" retail outlets it should be easy for you. Money is of no concern, so lemme know.

[-peep-].
September 23, 2002 6:12:04 AM

AMD don't operate the same as Intel once a processor reaches a certain maturity level.

If money truely is no object for you, search and you WILL find. Although it does boggle my mind someone would value a CPU so highly.
September 24, 2002 12:41:51 AM

Quote:
search and you WILL find

Yeah ok. It'll be sitting right next to the holy grail. I really dont want a 2600+. I just wanted to know where your "many" retailers were.

Quote:
AMD don't operate the same as Intel once a processor reaches a certain maturity level.

What's that in response to? What're you talking about?

[-peep-].
September 24, 2002 4:06:27 AM

possibly that AMD isnt aiming to have the highest performance cpu, rather concentraiting on mainstream speeds?
or
amd doesnt run as fast due to core differences.
or
the first tbreds were somewhat design limited, needing higher voltages and wernt OC friendly.

take your pick :smile:

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>
September 24, 2002 9:23:40 PM

I want to know what that comment was directed at........It's as out of place as my 90 yr. old alcoholic smoker reference. Or like saying my AMD systems don't crash when gaming during a home studio debate :smile:
Thanks for the attempt at clarification btw. I'll choose C.....and your guess is as good as mine.

[-peep-].
September 24, 2002 11:22:28 PM

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeexactly!

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>
September 25, 2002 5:40:23 AM

So Tom is the Holy Grail?? Ok, "many" -- perhaps that is an overstatement, "a few" then.

In reality, I doubt I do have a "B". CPU didn't seem to like to go above 2.2 Ghz.

Be seeing you.
September 25, 2002 6:53:04 AM

Course you dont have a 'B'. takes time for the latest cpu's to filter down beyond the OEM's... and paper launches.

But even within the 'A' stepping there were different core codes that gave varying OC potentials. Like with any new cpu grade/stepping, the early ones overclocked the worse

<b>"True communication is possible only between equals, because inferiors are consistently rewarded for telling their superiors pleasant lies than for telling the truth."</b>
September 25, 2002 9:09:44 PM

"So Tom is the Holy Grail??"

No, it's a review site. AMD gives its chips to persons who are known to honor the NDA, and know will not go out auctioning their chips. How many samples do you think AMD put out the door to reviewers, OEMs, and Manu's for testing? I'd say 50. And if you had a "B", do you think you would've paid regular prices before official release? C'mon. What do you think a limited quantity processor (going by anything limited) costs? Chip so unavailable that you're the only one that Ive even seen question whether or not you own one or not....And then claim that retailers have em. Most others are just asking when are they coming out.

There go some other reasons to doubt you have a B.

"Be seeing you."

Ok.

[-peep-].
September 30, 2002 5:02:02 AM

Retailers -- ok system manufacturers/assemblers or OEMs such as Dell, HP, Compaq, Asus... etc. etc. I often don't discriminate between them, but I guess techincally most defined retailers are folks like Fry's, CompUSA, BestBuy, etc.

"...do you think you would've paid regular prices before official release?"

I never stated what I paid?

"I'd say 50" and how did you arrive at this number?

So one honors their NDA by publically writing up information about it on their web site? I prefer to call it leaked marketing & free advertisement.
!