oxygene

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2002
Hello
I'm planning to purchase a new computer soon, but I still dont know what cpu I should get. This computer will be used for music, as in, running a secquencer with a lot of virtual instruments and effecets, so CPU and Ram are most important. I'm only planning to get the cpu, mobo, ram, hd and a case...and my budget is about 1000$ CAN. (around 700 US). I was thinking of the following:

P4 2.4 (533 or 400 FSB? what the heck is the differance?)
512 PC2100 ddram
Asus p4b533
W.D. 120 gig /8 cashe
some sort of a case with psu

what do u think? please help.;)

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I can help...but for what u listed u want you'll never get for $1000.....

as for Audio...and filling your budgest, id go for an AMD rig.......

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ RETAIL $265.00
ASUS A7S333 Motherboard $105.00
512MB PC-2700 DDR CL2 $199.00
W.D. Caviar 120GB 8M Cache $299.00
Antec SX1040 (400w TruPower)$179.00

TOTAL = $1047.00
w/ Tax = $1204.05 CDN

Intel PIV 2.4B RETAIL $325.00
ASUS P4B533 Motherboard $189.00
512MB PC-2700 DDR CL2 $199.00
W.D. Caviar 120GB 8M Cache $299.00
Antec SX1040 (400w TruPower)$179.00

TOTAL = $1191.00
w/ Tax = $1369.65

Your going over budget with either.....So really its up to you what you wanna do.......Id recomend increasign your budget and goign with a RAID 0 setup......lets say 2x 60GB W.D 8M Cache drives in raid 0.....much faster....that of ur gonan have to drop the 120GB drive for a much smaller one like a single 60GB drive......your budget is way to small for what you want....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Might as well get a nice case and PSU now, so he doesn't have to upgrade it later. I could understand a cheaper case, but you always need a good PSU.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

from www.newegg.com he (oops, he being my friend) got a 1.8ghz, new mobo, 512mB ram, and new case for 600 US. But thats newegg prices. chances are you won't get those prices. so ya, you won't get that for a 1000.

on a budget and need a computer upgrade now. AMD is the place to go. if you have a budget, get a pentium, if you can wait, wait to see what hammer can offer. But i'd wait 6 months after the reelase of hammer.

just my opinion.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 09/21/02 11:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I suggested that specific case becasue ive dealt/used/built systems around the SX1030 and SX1040 series cases....and they r a breeze to setup, they come with 2 case fans, there design and workmanship put into them are impecable.....upgradeability is there FORE SURE especially with the 400Watt TruPower PSU....theres lots fo room for big or small MOBO's and it cant be put together in a snap.....

i can list more reaons....but i also agree there are other cases out there for cheaper...but this oen makes sure it can be used lets say 3 years down the road......

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
<b>You're gonna want as much memory bandwidth as possible for what you want to do with your system, for that reason, AMD is not a great choice. The P4 system is gonna run $200 max over a AMD. Let's check it out.</b>

<i>P4 2.4 (533 or 400 FSB? what the heck is the differance?)</i>
<font color=blue>533 is desired, as its bus runs faster. I don't know about you, but I'd get the inexpensive 2.26 w/533fsb and do a modest overclock with stock cooling. Your ASUS board was made to OC, and the pentium chip won't have any issues hitting 2.4GHz, plus the faster FSB will make the system perform even faster. Change your FSB from standard 133 to 142 in BIOS (very easy to do) and you'll be at 2.4GHz and I guarantee your system won't have any issues with such a small OC. $195 shipped from googlegear.com (very rupitable, order from them and newegg many times with similar experiences)</font color=blue>

<i>512 PC2100 ddram</i>
<font color=blue>Nah, let's do RDRAM and get full thoroughput from your system! If you went with DDR400 for say, it'd run for $175 for good quality RAM. On the other hand, RDRAM 1066 (533MHz, which is synchronise to your CPU's FSB) will be a bit more, with better bandwidth/performance. Get 2/256MB SAmsung sticks (RDRAM needs to be in pairs of two) for a total of $233 from googlegear. Only $50 more, much better performance over DDR 400.</font color=blue>

<i>Asus p4b533</i>
<font color=blue>How about the P4T533, same board but using RDRAM instead of DDR. Yes DDR is getting faster, but as of right now RDRAM is king for pentium 4 performance. $179 a newegg shipped.</font color=blue>

<i>W.D. 120 gig /8 cashe</i>
<font color=blue>Good choice, but I'd go with the 80GB model which runs for about $110 at most places. I don't know how much the 120GB costs, but I'd assume about $250.</font color=blue>

<i>some sort of a case with psu</i>
<font color=blue>Find whatever. Most ppl here will recommend a $80 dollar PSU, if you wan to do that fine, but last time I spent $$$ on an antec PSU is was dead and my generic 400W PSU that came with my case works fine and I have alot of components. Get a nice looking case with a 400W or better PSU. A good one w/400W should be about $60</font color=blue>

<b>So we're at about $920US. If you kill off that HD and get the 80GB model, which may or may not be enough for you, you'd bring that total to about $780US/1,230 CDN; which is less comparable to the P4 system recommended above, but I used RDRAM over DDR!

If you do want a better quality PSU than the standard case offering, I'd recommend a 350W enermax, which should be more than enough for your system that costs about $65, or the 430W model for about $85!</b>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nja469 on 09/22/02 01:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Bud...i already set him up with some hardware with pricing in CDN dollars which after u convery is MUCH cheaper than what u have suggested for him.....anyways.....he said he was on a budget...therefore i believe RD-RAM based P4 system is out of the question, the P4 system in general is already pushign it for his budget, he didnt wanna exceed $1000 CANADIAN.....plus, a P4 is not that much betetr if at all compared to a fast AXP system in Audio encoding....

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
LOL CALM DOWN. You don't need to defend someone else. He is allowed to read over more opinions than just yours.

Also, RDRAM, as in a lowsy $50, is too much? If you truly wanted to keep him in budget; get rid of that overly expensive PSU/case and allow that extra money to go towards the PC1066 for performance.

Looking it all over, my setup offered top of the line parts (533 fsb chip, mobo, and PC1066 [which cost more]), but overall was cheaper anyhow. Allow him to decide for himself, sheesh!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel chipsets have the fewest hardware issues with various audio cards, SiS is close to Intel, and then there's VIA, the company responsible for most SB Live problems.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
It really sucks recording a track or two and having a freeze before saving......I would stay away from AMD for that reason alone. Platform isn't as stable as one with an Intel chipset. As a matter of fact, I recommend a Mac for Audio. That's the platform with the best software available. If I wasn't the casual gamer I would be writing this on a Mac.

[-peep-].

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
not stable u reckon?
oh dear... i wonder how i ran my PC for 17 hours straight yesterday gaming and encoding divx and running cure for cancer in the background then! :smile:
musta been luck :wink:

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
Some Audio/Tracking software are notorious for crashing on AMD machines. Good to hear your machine ran great yesterday. I knew a guy who smoked 2 packs of cigarettes and drank a bottle of bourbon everyday and lived to 90.....there must be nothing wrong w/ smoking and drinking.

[-peep-].

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
what audio tracking software?
i use cooledit pro quite alot to do audio mastering and editing. it works well. also do lots of cd DAE and mp3 encoding. no problems their either.

and i gotta ask, how do u equate AMD systems to drinking and smoking?

<b>ANY</b> system is as stable as you want to make it. Just depends on how much time effort and quality components you invest in it.

i could have easily got my XP1800+ with a shitty 300W psu, some cheapass generic PC2100 ram and other crud then complain that my system sucks.
could have done the same with a C3 or P4 as well!

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
What does cure for cancer, and games for 17 hrs have to do w/ audio? I was pointing out that just cause you're an exception, it doesnt mean everyone will get the same results.

Go to www.digidesign.com and look at some "known incompatabilities"......I believe they worked out most of the problems, but there was a time where certain dd products would not run on AMD machines AT ALL. Overall Mac is best for their software, but there's windows versions.

Off of stienbergs site.......

"We have found that some audio cards do not run properly with this VIA chipset:
Echo Darla, Darla24, Gina, Layla
Sonorus Studi/o
Lexicon Core32 (the core card of the Lexicon Studio System)
Also the Korg 1212 might be troublesome but we cannot confirm this so far."

"Using AMD processors and VIA chipsets you might encounter problems in the Universal Host Controller driver that may prevent USB devices from being properly enumerated under specific timing conditions."

[-peep-].

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ahhhh. now ya talking. allthough the original poster wasnt specific in what he was using 'audio' wise, external or internal.
anyway. he could get a SiS :smile:

p.s. i hardly think stability is an exception. if it were, would amd still be in busness?
games & C.F.C were included as other things that amazing dont make my system crash.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
anyway. he could get a SiS
When AMD platforms are used it is stressed that a Pure VIA chipset is used.......Not gonna look for links, but I think it's more to do w/ testing and support than stability and technology preference.

i hardly think stability is an exception. if it were, would amd still be in busness
Let's be honest, they've survived through some lousy processors, and crap chipsets. So yeah, they would still be in business :lol:

[-peep-].

FrizzleFried

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
#1 Don't let LED scare you from AMD. I have been using an AMD box for over a year, and Intel prior to that (and my wifes box is still Intel). I have experienced NO additional stability issues with my AMD than I did with Intel. Stability is NOT an issue with new AMD chips.

He also mentions that some audio software causes problems with AMD...I challange...no...I DARE him to present ONE known issue with ONE audio software package in regards to the AMD chip.

I have been sequencing (tracking) music for over 10 years and have not had ONE issue with any audio software that I could blame AMD for. Lets see...some of the audio software I have used:

Audiograbber
Cool Edit
Sound Forge
Impulse Tracker
Modplug Tracker
Cakewalk Pro

...just to name a few. I am not promoting AMD over Intel for music....but keep in mind that those who ARE in fact trying to deter you from a specific processessor are doing so with no clue.

FrizzleFried
www.trackedaggression.com

peter21

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
For your budget i suggest an AMD system. Heres what i found at www.canadacomputers.com

MSI KT3 Ultra2 - $130.00
AMD Athlon XP 2000+(retail) - $184.00
512MB PC2700(DDR333) - $210.00
Western Digital 120 gig(8MB cache) - $272.00
AOPEN Case - $30.00
Enermax 350W(whisper PSU) - $70.00

Grand Total: - $896.00
with taxes - $1030.00

--------
The only thing i know...

is that i know nothing at all.

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
He also mentions that some audio software causes problems with AMD...I challange...no...I DARE him to present ONE known issue with ONE audio software package in regards to the AMD chip.
AMD Platforms.......not chips. While all the audio software you mentioned are fun, none of them are Pro-Tools. You failed to mention your hardware specs over those ten years.....soundcards etc. I provided quotes above, read em. And you can go to <A HREF="http://www.digidesign.com" target="_new">http://www.digidesign.com</A>....search their knowledge base.
Also, for you cakewalk fans.....<A HREF="http://www.cakewalk.com/press/08-27-01-intel.asp" target="_new">http://www.cakewalk.com/press/08-27-01-intel.asp</A> Another reason to buy Intel.

And just to clarify, I never mentioned anything about the chip itself. Now untangle your panties and sit still. :smile:

[-peep-].

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
......... in fact trying to deter you from a specific processessor are doing so with no clue.
I havent been at it for 10 years, but I sure as hell know what I'm doing. And instead of asking me for links to further prove my point......prove me otherwise with links of your own. Provide links that show AMD as the superior solution to Intel in this situation.........and no, I don't mean a webmall price comparison lol

[-peep-].

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Allrighty then. glad thats worked out.

So my computer, my ex-gf's pc, my current gf's pc my mums laptop and the 8 dualcpu boards downstairs at work are just statistical outliers, and thus can be safely ignored :smile:
PHEW!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007

So my computer, my ex-gf's pc, my current gf's pc my mums laptop and the 8 dualcpu boards downstairs at work are just statistical outliers, and thus can be safely ignored :smile:
PHEW!

amd is bad... all hail intel yay

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007

PHEW!

amd is bad... all hail intel yay

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
cool! triple post!