Precocious Apprentice and Lyric Spell

(background: I've been working through a thought experiment about
a good Devoted Performer build)

So if one started out a human bard with Precocious Apprentice and
Practiced Spellcaster at level 1, and advanced a different class
up to sixth level, and took Lyric Spell at that point, what would
that character be able to cast using the feat? (assume he took
Heightened Spell at 3rd)

(a) obviously, he could cast his 0th level spells using Bardic Music.
(b) as a fifth level caster, how far could he Heighten his 0th level
spells? Normally, a fifth level bard could cast 2nd level spells.
(c) could he cast his 2nd level spell by expending three Bardic Music slots?

Slightly different question: if the character were to take three
levels of Bard instead of one, he would now be a seventh level caster
with 0th and 1st level spells, and one second level spell. Do the
answers to the question above change? (note that Bards usually get
3rd level spells at 7th)

Donald

Donald Tsang <tsang@soda.csua.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>(background: I've been working through a thought experiment about
>a good Devoted Performer build)
>
>So if one started out a human bard with Precocious Apprentice and
>Practiced Spellcaster at level 1, and advanced a different class
>up to sixth level, and took Lyric Spell at that point, what would
>that character be able to cast using the feat? (assume he took
>Heightened Spell at 3rd)
>
>(a) obviously, he could cast his 0th level spells using Bardic Music.
>(b) as a fifth level caster, how far could he Heighten his 0th level
> spells? Normally, a fifth level bard could cast 2nd level spells.
>(c) could he cast his 2nd level spell by expending three Bardic Music slots?
>

>Slightly different question: if the character were to take three
>levels of Bard instead of one, he would now be a seventh level caster
>with 0th and 1st level spells, and one second level spell. Do the
>answers to the question above change? (note that Bards usually get
>3rd level spells at 7th)

Whoops. Two problems:
(a) without Devoted Performer, this character won't have enough Bardic
Music uses to do much with Lyric Spell (whoops!).
(b) the three-bard-levels example should have him advance to at least
character level seven, of course.

So to fix this:

(a) Advancement as follows: Bard at 1, 6, 9. Paladin for the rest.
Max out Perform at each Bard level.
(b) Precocious Apprentice, Practiced Spellcaster at 1
(c) Devoted Performer at 3rd
(d) Lyric Spell at 6th
(e) Some sort of metamagic feat at 9th.

Side comment: paladin spells are gained far too slowly...

--
Donald