Do I want a smartphone or a PDA?

June 1, 2005 12:03:40 AM

Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
phone.

But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
them.

Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?

Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?

More about : smartphone pda

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:10:20 AM

me@privacy.net wrote:
> Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
> phone.
>
> But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
> them.
>
> Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?
>
> Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?

I think that the future all will become integrated.

If you are going to buy now think seriously in get only 1 device integrated,

you have also other options like sonyericsson P900 series (Symbian OS)
but I prefer Palm.

There are disadvantages in terms of with these smartphones: they are not
so portable like the small phones today so take your time to think if
you really want to pay this price to have all in one device.

no wifi? There is no perfect device: it will always lack a detail when
you see the details pane carefully.

good luck.

Franco - Become a PalmOS Beta Tester:
http://www.micromagiclabs.com/beta.html
Visit PalmOS forums at: http://forums.micromagiclabs.com
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 12:37:40 PM

In article <2b2q91tdal0ivuc6egcvtqri43bev2t8q6@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
wrote:

> Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
> phone.
>
> But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
> them.
>
> Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?
>
> Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?

A person should keep them separate if one wants to carry two devices.

I love my Kyocera 7135. Had to replace one that went overboard.

One device to sync. One charger to carry, One device to remember where
it is. All my phone contacts and schedule with my phone. The ability to
bring along a folding keyboard and work for hours on a plane.

As the other poster states, there will always be features you want that
are not included with those you need -- unless you invent your own
smartphone.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
June 1, 2005 6:45:55 PM

It is alleged that Harlan Lachman claimed:

; One device to sync. One charger to carry, One device to remember where
; it is. All my phone contacts and schedule with my phone. The ability to

Indeed. That's why I went the smartphone route almost two years ago. I
was tired of wanting to call someone, and having to open up my PDA
because I never copied over the phone number to my cell phone, and
realizing that even the most basic cell phones were including
"smartphone" functions anyway. And needing two pockets or pouches, one
for the phone and one for the PDA.

; As the other poster states, there will always be features you want that

Though often, there are also features that I don't want. Forex, I
really don't want a camera on my phone, and I have no use for either
Bluetooth or WiFi.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Go ahead, maybe one more death will help balance out the books. Go on
get it over with, it'll save us both the trouble later. [Kosh releases
him.] "I will do as you ask. But there is a price to pay. I will not
be there to help you, when you go to Z'Ha'Dum." "Yeah, you already
said if I go to Z'Ha'Dum I'll die." (Capt. Sheridan and Amb. Kosh, B5
"Interludes and Examinations")
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 6:56:37 PM

Harlan Lachman wrote:

> In article <2b2q91tdal0ivuc6egcvtqri43bev2t8q6@4ax.com>, me@privacy.net
> wrote:
>
>> Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
>> phone.
>>
>> But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
>> them.
>>
>> Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?
>>
>> Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?
>
> A person should keep them separate if one wants to carry two devices.
>
> I love my Kyocera 7135. Had to replace one that went overboard.
>
> One device to sync. One charger to carry, One device to remember where
> it is. All my phone contacts and schedule with my phone. The ability to
> bring along a folding keyboard and work for hours on a plane.
>
> As the other poster states, there will always be features you want that
> are not included with those you need -- unless you invent your own
> smartphone.
>
> harlan

I used to keep the two separate (to be honest, no integration was available
at the time) and I now have no cellular phone. In my case, it just became
quite unnecessary.

My experience has taught me that it is valuable, as was said already, to
have one charger, one bulgy object in your pocket plus the ability to
combine the power of both. Imagine yourself what a nuisance it is to enter
address book entries without a keyboard or a stylus... or write an E-mail
and later synchronise to send it...

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com

>Indeed. That's why I went the smartphone route almost two years ago

what brand/model do you have?
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 9:40:22 PM

Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> It is alleged that Harlan Lachman claimed:
>
> ; One device to sync. One charger to carry, One device to remember where
> ; it is. All my phone contacts and schedule with my phone. The ability to
>
> Indeed. That's why I went the smartphone route almost two years ago. I
> was tired of wanting to call someone, and having to open up my PDA
> because I never copied over the phone number to my cell phone, and
> realizing that even the most basic cell phones were including
> "smartphone" functions anyway. And needing two pockets or pouches, one
> for the phone and one for the PDA.
>
> ; As the other poster states, there will always be features you want that
>
> Though often, there are also features that I don't want. Forex, I
> really don't want a camera on my phone, and I have no use for either
> Bluetooth or WiFi.

You may find Bluetooth handy with a PDA phone--it's kind of hard to use the
PDA pard while you're holding it up to your ear. Of course a wired headset
does that too but I find the Bluetooth sets more convenient.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

It is alleged that me@privacy.net claimed:

; >Indeed. That's why I went the smartphone route almost two years ago
; what brand/model do you have?

Kyocera 7135 via Verizon. They did not have the Treo 600 at that time,
and I did not think it worth paying the early termination fee on top of
the new equipment price to change carriers just to get the Treo.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your
head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations
that some favors come with too high a price. I want to look up into
your lifeless eyes and wave like this." <Vir wiggles his fingers at
Mr. Morden> "Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr.
Morden?" (Vir Coto, B5 "In the Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum")
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 5:04:01 PM

It is alleged that J. Clarke claimed:

;
; You may find Bluetooth handy with a PDA phone--it's kind of hard to use the
; PDA pard while you're holding it up to your ear. Of course a wired headset
; does that too but I find the Bluetooth sets more convenient.

I've gone almost two years now without needing that.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Would you like to tell us what's waiting for us on the other side?" "A
beginning." (Cmdr. Ivanova and Marcus Cole, B5 "Matters Of Honor")
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 5:15:44 PM

Jeffrey Kaplan <cspp@gordol.org> writes:
> It is alleged that J. Clarke claimed:

> > You may find Bluetooth handy with a PDA phone--it's kind of hard
> > to use the PDA pard while you're holding it up to your ear. Of
> > course a wired headset does that too but I find the Bluetooth sets
> > more convenient.
>
> I've gone almost two years now without needing that.

I sometimes use bluetooth to sync my Treo650 with my computer,
but that's about the extent of it. 99% of the time, I leave
bluetooth turned off completely - just wastes battery (on my
previous phone, a non-PDA Sony, leaving BT turned on cut battery
life roughly in half).

And I almost *never* actually hold the phone up to my face.
I use a wired earbud. I've *got* a bluetooth headset, but
I've found that (a) it's another damned battery to keep
charged and (b) coordinating turning it on with using the
phone is just too clunky compared to just using a wired
earbud.

(Jabra Earboom, by the way.)

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
June 2, 2005 6:51:38 PM

>I sometimes use bluetooth to sync my Treo650 with my computer,
>but that's about the extent of it. 99% of the time, I leave
>bluetooth turned off completely - just wastes battery (on my
>previous phone, a non-PDA Sony, leaving BT turned on cut battery
>life roughly in half).
>
>And I almost *never* actually hold the phone up to my face.
>I use a wired earbud. I've *got* a bluetooth headset, but
>I've found that (a) it's another damned battery to keep
>charged and (b) coordinating turning it on with using the
>phone is just too clunky compared to just using a wired
>earbud.
>
>(Jabra Earboom, by the way.)

Thanks good info!
June 3, 2005 5:54:33 AM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 20:03:40 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

>Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
>phone.
>
>But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
>them.
>
>Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?
>
>Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?

I'm going to keep carrying two devices for a number of reasons:

1. I'm an old foggy and these new fangled devices confuse me. I'll
stay with paper and pencil (2 devices).

2. If I loose one (short memory span) I've only lost part of what I
need to live.

3. What if I decide to change phone providers? Do I really want to
have to buy another PDA just to switch from Sprint PCS to Verizon?

4. What do I do if the PDA quites working? Send it in for repair and
go without a phone while it's gone.

5. I can get a free phone just by siging a 2 year servce agreement
and a Tungsten E is around $200.00 vs $600 or $700 for an all-in-one
(I'm cheap too).

That's just off the top of my head. If I work at it I could come up
with another 5 or 6 reasons. Ever here of the saying:

"He's a jack-of-all trades and a master of none."

Jack
Do the obvious to respond my e-mail.
June 3, 2005 5:54:34 AM

>That's just off the top of my head. If I work at it I could come up
>with another 5 or 6 reasons. Ever here of the saying:

Thanks Jack

I appr4eciate your input
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 10:11:57 AM

On Thu 02 Jun 2005 07:54:33p, Jack, wrote:

> I'm going to keep carrying two devices for a number of reasons:
>
> 1. I'm an old foggy and these new fangled devices confuse me. I'll
> stay with paper and pencil (2 devices).

Newfangled contraptions! I'll stick with my chisel and stone slab, thank
you. :~]

> 2. If I loose one (short memory span) I've only lost part of what I
> need to live.

You could rely on pure, dumb luck, like me.

> 3. What if I decide to change phone providers? Do I really want to
> have to buy another PDA just to switch from Sprint PCS to Verizon?

But you're going to have to get another phone anyhow.

> 4. What do I do if the PDA quites working? Send it in for repair and
> go without a phone while it's gone.

I think Sprint (for one) gets you a replacement pretty quickly.

> 5. I can get a free phone just by siging a 2 year servce agreement
> and a Tungsten E is around $200.00 vs $600 or $700 for an all-in-one
> (I'm cheap too).

Well... if you are changing service providers (or just want to change
plans) and you're going to sign up for a 2 year contract anyhow, you can
get the Treo 650 for as low as $229 from Cingular, $289 from Sprint, or
$329 from Verizon. I don't know what you have to sign away to get that
price but, if you've been happy with your provider there's probably a
pretty decent chance you'll be with them in a couple years anyhow.

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"

>get the Treo 650 for as low as $229 from Cingular, $289 from Sprint

is it really that low thru sprint?
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 4:06:03 PM

me@privacy.net writes:

> >get the Treo 650 for as low as $229 from Cingular, $289 from Sprint
>
> is it really that low thru sprint?

I thought it was about a hundred more through cingular (I'd
gotten a cingular one via Amazon, but ultimately returned it
and got an unlocked one to use on T-mobile).

Anyway, figure on spending another $70 or so for an SD card
(that's about the rate for a 1GB card, which I certainly
would not do without). And probably another hundred or so
for various bits of software. Of the things I use most on mine
few were free. (ie. SnapperEmail, Verichat, MemoSafe, though
other folks use other things, of course)

No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
June 4, 2005 7:24:36 AM

On Fri 03 Jun 2005 08:35:08a, , wrote:

>>get the Treo 650 for as low as $229 from Cingular, $289 from Sprint
>
> is it really that low thru sprint?

"After the rebate." <-- don't you hate those words?

--
RonB
"There's a story there...somewhere"
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 5:25:54 PM

"Jack" <jackj1//hates spam//@adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:p ucv915pg9uehriuh2f95kv2ub5ts9udt2@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 20:03:40 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:
>

> 3. What if I decide to change phone providers? Do I really want to
> have to buy another PDA just to switch from Sprint PCS to Verizon?

Buy the unblocked version and then you are not restricted to a carrier. For
GSM version, this has the added advantage of using local prepaid SIM card
when you travel abroad. You do not want to find out your carrier's
international roaming charges!
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 2:35:09 AM

Hello, alexhwang!
You wrote:

> Buy the unblocked version and then you are not restricted to a
> carrier. For
> GSM version, this has the added advantage of using local
> prepaid SIM card
> when you travel abroad.

quick question: will the unblocked version still work with the
"high speed" networking options some carriers use? specifically,
will the unblocked phone be able to transfer data at full speed
on the Cingular EDGE network, or is EDGE support specific to the
Cingular branded Treo?

Thanks.

Remove NOSPAM from addr to reply
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:26:51 PM

I am guess it would. The block seems to be in the firm ware, not by the
carrier. ATT (now part of Cingular) is the only one that I am aware of that
blocks from the carrier side.

With GSM, it is easy to try it out. Go to Cingular service center and ask to
try out a SIM card of theirs and see if all services work. My unblocked GSM
works with Cingular and China Mobile and .... etc. fine.

Todd Tannenbaum" <tannenba@NOSPAMcs.wisc.edu> wrote in message
> Hello, alexhwang!
> You wrote:
>
> > Buy the unblocked version and then you are not restricted to a
> > carrier. For
> > GSM version, this has the added advantage of using local
> > prepaid SIM card
> > when you travel abroad.
>
> quick question: will the unblocked version still work with the
> "high speed" networking options some carriers use? specifically,
> will the unblocked phone be able to transfer data at full speed
> on the Cingular EDGE network, or is EDGE support specific to the
> Cingular branded Treo?
>
> Thanks.

> Remove NOSPAM from addr to reply
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 6:35:36 PM

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:26:51 -0700, "alexhwang" <alexhwang@nospami.com>
wrote:

>I am guess it would. The block seems to be in the firm ware, not by the
>carrier. ATT (now part of Cingular) is the only one that I am aware of that
>blocks from the carrier side.

No, blocks of all stripes like this are put in by the carrier. It's
called a "subsidy lock." Some, such as T-Mobile will willingly give
you the unlock code after a period of time. I don't recall about
Cingular, but the old AT&T Wireless would never give it to you.

All GSM providers lock their phones from the get go, but some will
give you the code later. TM will usually give it to customers in good
standing after 90 days.

An unlocked phone will work with any carrier and give you the full
benefit of whatever you're paying for as long as the equipment is
compatible with the services you want. (e.g. you're not going to get
EDGE out of a Treo 600).

>With GSM, it is easy to try it out. Go to Cingular service center and ask to
>try out a SIM card of theirs and see if all services work. My unblocked GSM
>works with Cingular and China Mobile and .... etc. fine.
>
>Todd Tannenbaum" <tannenba@NOSPAMcs.wisc.edu> wrote in message
>> Hello, alexhwang!
>> You wrote:
>>
>> > Buy the unblocked version and then you are not restricted to a
>> > carrier. For
>> > GSM version, this has the added advantage of using local
>> > prepaid SIM card
>> > when you travel abroad.
>>
>> quick question: will the unblocked version still work with the
>> "high speed" networking options some carriers use? specifically,
>> will the unblocked phone be able to transfer data at full speed
>> on the Cingular EDGE network, or is EDGE support specific to the
>> Cingular branded Treo?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Remove NOSPAM from addr to reply

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:32:32 PM

On Tue, 31 May 2005 20:03:40 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:

>Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
>phone.
>
>But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
>them.
>
>Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?
>
>Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?

I oprefer to keep them seperate. That way if something happens to one
I does lose both when I get the one repaired, or replaced.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:25:00 PM

"NASCAR20" <nascar@rules.20> wrote in message
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 20:03:40 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:
>
>>Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
>>phone.
>>
>>But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
>>them.
>>
>>Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?
>>
>>Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?
>
> I oprefer to keep them seperate. That way if something happens to one
> I does lose both when I get the one repaired, or replaced.

Tough to look up or enter info into pda while talking on the phone if both
are the dame device. Also the price of the combined units even with two or
three year contracts is too high. a decent pda and an upscale phone can be
had for less than the purchase of a combined unit.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:25:01 PM

walt peifer wrote:

> "NASCAR20" <nascar@rules.20> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 31 May 2005 20:03:40 -0500, me@privacy.net wrote:
>>
>>>Was on the verge of getting a Treo 650 palm based smart
>>>phone.
>>>
>>>But there are things it lacks....wifi being one of
>>>them.
>>>
>>>Should a person keep his cell phone and PDA separate?
>>>
>>>Or is it better to "combine" them ala "smarthphone"?
>>
>> I oprefer to keep them seperate. That way if something happens to one
>> I does lose both when I get the one repaired, or replaced.
>>
> Tough to look up or enter info into pda while talking on the phone if both
> are the dame device.

Why? Or are you one of these people who walks around all day holding a cell
phone up to his ear instead of using a headset?

> Also the price of the combined units even with two or
> three year contracts is too high. a decent pda and an upscale phone can be
> had for less than the purchase of a combined unit.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 6:25:01 PM

It is alleged that walt peifer claimed:

; Tough to look up or enter info into pda while talking on the phone if both
; are the dame device. Also the price of the combined units even with two or

If that is your sole concern, then you can either put it in
speakerphone mode when you need to look something up or use a headset.

; three year contracts is too high. a decent pda and an upscale phone can be
; had for less than the purchase of a combined unit.

I priced that option when I changed cellular carriers. Treo 650 with 2
year voice contract on Cingular cost me $450 (if I had gotten a data
plan with it, it would have been $400), this is my comparison price. If
I had gotten separate items this time, I'd have gone for either the P1
T|E2 ($250) or P1 Z72 ($300), and I'd have been severely tempted to go
for a Moto Razr at $200, if for no other reason than to reduce the
"carrying two items instead of one" factor.

So, $200 + $250 = $450 = same price. If I wanted BT to connect the
two, then I'd have to get the Z72, which raises the total price to more
than the Treo 650.

My considerations are apparently different than yours. Using a
Smartphone works for me. If it doesn't work for you, that is why there
are choices.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I'm glad they see it my way." "They do not, but public opinion is on
your side." (Cmdr. Sinclair and Sen. Hidoshi, B5 "By Any Means
Necessary")
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 10:36:39 PM

"Jeffrey Kaplan" <cspp@gordol.org> wrote in message
> It is alleged that walt peifer claimed:
>
> ; Tough to look up or enter info into pda while talking on the phone if
> both
> ; are the dame device. Also the price of the combined units even with two
> or
>
> If that is your sole concern, then you can either put it in
> speakerphone mode when you need to look something up or use a headset.
>
> ; three year contracts is too high. a decent pda and an upscale phone can
> be
> ; had for less than the purchase of a combined unit.
>
> I priced that option when I changed cellular carriers. Treo 650 with 2
> year voice contract on Cingular cost me $450 (if I had gotten a data
> plan with it, it would have been $400), this is my comparison price. If
> I had gotten separate items this time, I'd have gone for either the P1
> T|E2 ($250) or P1 Z72 ($300), and I'd have been severely tempted to go
> for a Moto Razr at $200, if for no other reason than to reduce the
> "carrying two items instead of one" factor.
>
> So, $200 + $250 = $450 = same price. If I wanted BT to connect the
> two, then I'd have to get the Z72, which raises the total price to more
> than the Treo 650.
>
> My considerations are apparently different than yours. Using a
> Smartphone works for me. If it doesn't work for you, that is why there
> are choices.
>
> --
> Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
> The from userid is killfiled Send personal mail to gordol
>
> "I'm glad they see it my way." "They do not, but public opinion is on
> your side." (Cmdr. Sinclair and Sen. Hidoshi, B5 "By Any Means
> Necessary")

sorry i spoke to soon about the price difference. checked today and several
local carriers have the combined unit in the 400-500 range.Still the TE not
TE2 can be had for under 200 and a decent phone can be hard for under 30
bucks'
as far as holding a phone up to my ear. Yes i do. i think that those with
the wear bud either wired or wireless look like ranting lunatics, holding
conversations with imaginary friends. I think that someone wandering around
the mall talking to the air is much ruder(sp) than havind a phone ring
saying excuse me and taking the call and then getting off the phone as soon
as possible. Those i've observed with the ear buds tend to chatter on for
endless minutes ( must have good plans or have someelse paying the bill) oft
times discussing such world shattering evetns as what flavor ice cream to
buy or how's taking how to the movies.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:33:20 AM

It is alleged that walt peifer claimed:

; sorry i spoke to soon about the price difference. checked today and several
; local carriers have the combined unit in the 400-500 range.Still the TE not
; TE2 can be had for under 200 and a decent phone can be hard for under 30
; bucks'

The T|E2 adds bluetooth, which if I'd go back to separate devices I'd
want, a newer version of the OS and a faster CPU. As for the phone, it
would need bluetooth, so I can use the address book from the PDA, have
a very good speakerphone built-in or a car speakerphone kit available.

; as far as holding a phone up to my ear. Yes i do. i think that those with

Same here. So far, I've had no problem saying, "just a sec, I need to
look that up" on the rare occasion I needed to access the PDA while
using the phone.

; as possible. Those i've observed with the ear buds tend to chatter on for
; endless minutes ( must have good plans or have someelse paying the bill) oft
; times discussing such world shattering evetns as what flavor ice cream to

Speaking of which, last week I saw someone walk into the ice cream
store talking on a cellular headset. Must've been a very good headset,
because it was LOUD in there.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I have done 400 years of penance in their service. A job for which
they said I was ideally suited. Now, perhaps they will finally let me
die." "I think that might be wise." (Sebastian/Jack and Capt.
Sheridan, B5 "Comes The Inquisitor")
!