Not so good Tualatin Celeron 1400MHz

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Well, I got myself another 1400 MHz Tualatin Celeron to take the place of my late and incredibly fast 1400 MHz Tualatin Celeron which I destroyed in a very stupid way.

My old one was able to run benchmarks at 1822MHz watercooled, although Prime95 was not stable above 1764 MHz.

In comparison, the new one is a disappointment. It can't even boot into Windows above 1722MHz, also watercooled. Absolute stability is obtained around 1680MHz. Pack date is 08/06/02.

So my old Tualatin was really an exceptional sample. I miss it ... RIP.

<i>/Copenhagen - Clockspeed will make the difference... in the end</i> :cool:

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Well, I got myself another 1400 MHz Tualatin Celeron to take the place of my late and incredibly fast 1400 MHz Tualatin Celeron which I destroyed in a very stupid way.
I just got me a Tualatin-S 1.26 GHz and it's way faster than my previous P3/850. The 512K cache is killer. I'm expecting a nice overclock too, perhaps 1.5 GHz. I'm running with a Powerleap adapter on a 440BX.

Ritesh

eden

Champion
Heheh, that is indeed a "power leap"!

Most Tually P3s reach 1.583GHZ, based on so many recent OCers here, including Rick Criswell. And the results were astonishing due to the much needed higher FSB. I mean at 1.5GHZ, the AXP uses 2.1GB while the P3 uses 1.06GB, kinda turnoff no?

--
What made you choose your THG Community username/nickname? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A>

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Heheh, that is indeed a "power leap"!
I was nervous about getting the Powerleap but I found one on Ebay for a decent price and the silly thing actually works perfectly. It allows the Tualatin's new voltage signaling method to run on older chipsets.

I'm very impressed with the CPU. At the moment I'm temporarily underclocked because I found my graphics card doesn't like high AGP bus speeds (440BX doesn't have a 1/2 AGP divider). But even underclocked at 950 MHz, everything from games to regular stuff like web surfing and Explorer seem smoother and snappier. Definitely quicker than my P4 1.7 w/SDRAM at work! It's all because of the extra cache and also the data prefetch logic that Tualatins have.

Ritesh

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ritesh_laud on 09/21/02 07:52 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
Yes, the P3s indeed never unlocked their full potential, Intel just didn't do it. The first P3s never amazed me, I felt my P2 350MMX with 512K faster sometimes. But the Tuallies, IMO, with higher FSB, say 150MHZ are definitly prize winners. They even manage to compete and outperform 2GHZ P4s. If only they had SSE2.
The P3 could've been pushed further, no doubt, like the K7 is being now, there is a lot AMD can still do for the K7, such as now they are adding SOI to Barton, fix cache design, add cache. P3 could've undergone more, but already the added cache is something nice. I don't like anymore buying any CPU with less than 512K L2, it no longer feels 'smooth'. Despite I own an AthlonXP.

--
What made you choose your THG Community username/nickname? <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=19957#19957" target="_new">Tell here!</A>

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
As far as I know, the initial Clawhammers will have 256KB of L2 cache as well. So what're you gonna do? It's not 512KB. But then again, with the reduced latency from the memory controller, it doesn't need as big a cache.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

eden

Champion
Yeah I guess I went too fast judging. I guess that 256 number never was something me like!
512 has always been something I feel better on. But despite 256K L2, CH needs to be powerful if I was to consider such, even though a long time ago, it was slated to use 512K L2.

--

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
waiting waiting waiting for baaaaaarton lol

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>