XP 1600 not @ 1.4

efript

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
I just had my comp upgraded. when i took it home and hooked it up it kept freezing after 3 minutes of post-boot. i went into bios and lowered fsb to 100mhz, now its running at 1050mhz but its stable. i tried it at 133mhz again and it kept locking up. what is going on, i paid for a 1.4 gig i should be getting it! my mobo is a sis 735 (the one that supports both sd and ddr ram). im on a 300 watt ps too, please help

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
take it back where you got it upgraded

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
I AM HAVING !!!THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!!. My xp1600 won't go to 1.4GHz, because of not stable. However, it too will stay stable if i lower it fsb to 100mhz, thus also just giving me 1050MHz. I know it's not the cpu, because in my last motherboard, i got 1400MHz with the same cpu. With my knew mobo (a soltek one), i can't reach 1400MHz... in fact... funny thing, in bios, the fsb option lets me only go up to 132 and not 133... ain't that weird?!?!!?!

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!

JPWRana

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
so if someone else can also help me w/ that exact same prob... i'd really appreciate it.!!!

The greatest risk of all is not taking one!

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
my mobo is a sis 735 (the one that supports both sd and ddr ram).

It seems that you have a ECS SiS 735 mobo. ECS mobos (especially this mobo) are known for problems. Search in motherboard and chipsets forum, you will find tons of problems caused by this mobo. Changing mobo may solve your problem. Plug your processor in a good non-ECS Socket A mobo, and then if you see all problems are vanished, you should replace your mobo.

<b><font color=red> Long live piracy! </font color=red></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your motherboard is letting you go to 132 but not 133, you have 1 of two problems!
1) If you have a VIA KT133 chipset, it won't run 133MHz. Anything above 100MHz is overclocked, and usually anything above around 115MHz is unstable for that chipset
2) If you have a KT133A or newer chipset, you might have to use a jumper to change from the 100-132MHz setting to the 133MHz+ setting.

At 132MHz EVERYTHING is overclocked extremely, your PCI cards, your AGP card, everything.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
ECS boards are known to destabilize as you increase power draw (fasster processors, etc) due to poor electrical noise filtration. The cure is to use a high quality power supply with better filters built in.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, you have a far different problem than him (even if the results are similar).

G

I'll second crashman's opinion: try another PSU. I have the same board as you, worked fine with my trusty old Duron. I upgraded to a 1400 Tbird (133 fsb), it would work fine for months, but all of a sudden I got reboots, lockups, etc. I checked my voltages and found them way too low on 3v and 5v. Even 12v was like 11.3. Mind you, that was with an Enermax 350W PSU !! I switched it for a 430W PSU, and all was fine again. The Enermax 350W worked (and still works) just fine on a friends Asus KT333A board..

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It might not be the power rating, but the NOISE LEVEL. You don't seem to understand that the voltage level is not constant. Let's take the 3.3v line for example, since that's the one that powers the CPU, RAM, and video card:

Power supply A) 3.10 to 3.60v swinging at around 60Hz.
Power supply B) 3.25 to 3.35v swinging at around 60Hz

Now, it wouldn't matter much if Power Supply A was 500W and Power Supply B was 300W, B would always result in a more stable system than A.

It takes very large capacitors to stabilize a power supply. Good power supplies might have $10 in capacitors, while cheap ones might use $2 in capacitors. So obviously the manufacturer can use higher quality parts with a $10 budget than with a $2 budget.

I don't know what size your power supply is right now, but if it follows a scenario similar to A above, it's going to give you problems. I've seen even low end Antec power supplies with this problem.

The new high end Antec True Power power supplies are supposed to be more stable. As are Enermax. I hear Sparkle is a good brand. And there are a couple top brand Japanese companies I can't even remember the names of.

I recommend 350W in a HIGH QUALITY power supply.

Bahumut

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
I've seen this board and had the same problem. Get rid of it and get a new one(ASUS, GIGABYTE, MSI, ect.)

I would like to nothing better than to remove SIS from the chipset manufacturing industry. However, they make prices competitive, so I simply avoid any and all maotherboard with their chips. Of the 300+ computers I've worked with, no SIS based board has worked properly (sorry SIS fans).

ECS isn't my favorite either, but I've had ECS boards that work fine.

If you need a board that supports both SD and DDR, get one with an ALI chip, otherwise get a VIA or NVidia based board.

Pain is the realization of your own weakness.