When does the Athlon XP 2600+ come out?

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
It is because they are not available and most likely won't be until mid-to-late October. So if the 2200+ isn't enough for you, and the misleading delays of AMD have you down; get a reasonably priced P4 2.66 or 2.8GHz :eek:)

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
If you go to AMD's website, it says they are now shipping the 2600+. it's been on the site for 3 weeks now, yet there's not one CPU in sight. As nja said, you probably won't see one till october.

- - -
<font color=green>All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things! :wink: </font color=green>

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
The few places I've looked at all have an eta of the 1st of the month. So you're looking at 8-14 days before you can probably get your hands on one.

I'm waiting for them to hit OEM as well, then again I'm also waiting to see if my KR7A mainboard will fully support it as well.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
We'll see about that. If I could, I would bet money that it won't be available on the 1st. Maybe I'll eat my words, but knowing AMD and their delays, I doubt that.

TJinsane

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002
Hey, if you dont mind waiting then wait. If intel keeps their high prices, then there is no point in spending an extra 200-300 on a proccessor that just barely out performs it. Any wayz, dont get a 2.66 or 2.8, they are not nearly as overclockable as the 2.5 with 100 mhz FSB. Either way, check out NetZip's Ebay auctions, they are realy cheap prices on most stuff. I mean relatively speaking, 235 is not a low price for an AMD 2400+ but, its a good start.

If a CPU can be overclocked, try and overclock it. Do this always and forever, unless, of coarse, you have a POS ecs motherboard. In that case, thank god it runs.

a2112a

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
ahaha, something tells me ur a fierce AMD fan, OmegaVader

The 2600+ is just slightly better than a P4 2.53 on average.
But it's 18% more expensive and may come out in a couple of weeks, probably more.

nja469

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Actually my system is powered by an XP 1900+. If you read into the recent press releases from AMD, you'd understand my caution since AMD is currently plagued by delays and is widely missing promises/projections. Again, I'll be surprised and will gladly eat my words if the 2600+ is readily available in 8 days like someone mentioned above.

A note about your performance comment: AMD has nothing that performs anywhere near Intel's top-o-line chips. It's already been shown the 2.66 & 2.8 outperform the 2600+ overall, and Intel will release a 3.06Ghz with hyperthreading in mid November, so AMD needs to not only get out the 2600+, but something else immediately thereafter to stay in the game. Right now, AMD's fastest chip, the 2200+, sells for about $149. P4 2GHz @ $160, the 2.26 for $189. <b>YEAH big savings there.. lol.</b> AMD <i>used</i> to be the way to go for price/performance. I can configure many P4 systems, even using PC1066, which are as little as $50 more than an AXP 2200+ config!

So no, I'm not suffering from fanboy'ism. I must suffer from realism. The reality is the 2600+ isn't available yet, and I doubt it will be in 8 days; even though it was "released" exactly a month ago today. Also the reality is I can build a system using a P4, PC1066 and OC the sh!t out of it for as little as $50 more than a 2200+ setup. <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nja469 on 09/22/02 10:30 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

LED

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
I wouldn't've went through all that trouble explaining. Besides, how can you compare anything to a processor that doesn't exist? You can't buy it, and theres no price. So the points made of price/value is intangible. It's a fairy tale processor....His next question is "How can I become a real boy?"

[-peep-].

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
I remember early this year that AMD was no longer actively trying to compete with intel for the 'top of the line' processors, rather going for the mainstream.

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>

lpenix

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Over at amdboard.com, they have a article that the 2400+ has a confirmed release date of 10/15/02. for what ever thats worth

I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE,,<--- comes out of the closet screaming i am an AMD bieocth fan boy..

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
join the poor saps in the corner, waiting and holding their breath since a month ago.

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

Dark_Archonis

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2002
Man, you must be real AMD fanboy. I mean, the price difference between a 2.4B P4 and a 2200+ Athlon is negligible. The "2600+" overclocks less than a P4, and it performs slightly less than a 2.5B, yet the estimated price will be higher than a 2.5B. Better value, don't make me laugh.

- - -
<font color=green>All good things must come to an end … so they can be replaced by better things! :wink: </font color=green>

OmegaVader

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2002
forget i said anything, yall are on crack. some of ya think the 2.6 and 2.8 is cheap (wtf is worng with u) which especially isnt true with rambus ram. and the 2600+ isnt that OC'able? read the tom's hardware article on OCing to a 3000+ equivalent and eat your own words. im out.

TJinsane

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002
In response to:
---------------------------------------------------------
the price difference between a 2.4B P4 and a 2200+ Athlon
is negligible. The "2600+" overclocks less than a P4, and
it performs slightly less than a 2.5B, yet the estimated
price will be higher than a 2.5B. Better value, don't
make me laugh.
---------------------------------------------------------

Latest price, says pricegraber.com for a P4 2.53 is $234.00 american curency. P4 2.5B is $251.51. As stated on AMD's website the 2600+ will be MSRPed at $297 and the 2400+ at $193. So, the price due to the price difference and the fact that the 2.5 with 100 mhz FSB has way better potential for overclocking, if you don't realy care about the price that much it is advisable to go with the 2.5 with 100 mhz FSB. just a thought.

If a CPU can be overclocked, try and overclock it. Do this always and forever, unless, of coarse, you have a POS ecs motherboard. In that case, thank god it runs.

FrizzleFried

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
But you all fail to take in to account that the STREET PRICE for new processessors NEVER are what is announced by the manufacturer. It is expected that tha XP2600+ will go for about $199 and the XP2400+ will be around $145 or so...

We shall see.

If I was to purchase a system TODAY (not 1 week from now, not a month)...I think I would go with the 2.5 Intel...or something close to that. Since I am sitting at about 2ghz right now, I am not needing of an upgrade until Spring. Thats when I will make a decision as to which direction to go. By then, the future path of both companies will be more clear.

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
I agree with Frizzle in most regards. I don't need an immediate replacement at the moment either, nor do I expect to see MSRP pricing when I go shopping. All I do know is that if I decide to upgrade later this year, if I can just plop in a new Athlon B and go with it, it'll save me $150 for a good mainboard, $350 for 512MB 1066 premium memory. So if the CPU's are the same price, I'm still ahead the game than having to switch back to Intel chipsets. Even if Intel has a faster chip. If I'm performing at 2.5Ghz+ what am I going to have trouble running for another 2 years?

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Not to mock AMD more than they deserve (although they deserve more mocking, for esentially lying to the news media, consumers, their own mothers, etc. regarding the wonderful "launch" of the non-existent chips :)), but this strikes me as a funny comment...
"I remember early this year that AMD was no longer actively trying to compete with intel for the 'top of the line' processors, rather going for the mainstream."

Does that sound similar to this statement..."We can't compete with Intel, because we can't produce things as quickly and fast as they can....so...we'll just try to compete with the celeron......ya", or is it just me?

Athlons and Pentiums are just melted rock. Who’s rock is better? Who cares, let’s play some games

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehehe true

but who can tell if it was a real strategy or just a acceptance that they couldnt keep up?

i tend to think it has a bit of validity, considering the effort AMD is investing in the hammer...

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
i tend to think it has a bit of validity, considering the effort AMD is investing in the hammer...
You mean the repeatedly delayed Hammer? ;)

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
Attention AMD Fans.... Don't worry about all the Intel boys riding you/us. For quite a while now we had our high time with the Athlon kicking around Intel's Pentium's performance. The Athlon core is showing it's age, although they still manage to tweak it here and there and slowly(a little too slow at the moment) increase it's core speed. At the moment I will give the performance crown to Intel, AMD caught Intel with it's pants down with the Athlon, time will tell if they can once again with Hammers.

All I can say is that this bickering is pointless, because the one thing we all have to be happy about is the cheap CPU's and great performance we can get no matter what your personal taste is.

shallowbaby

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
the question is not if intel has the performance crown, cos it does. the question is will amd survive, and if it does, will it be another apple?

<font color=green> there's more to life than increasing its speed -Ghandi</font color=green>

lpenix

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2001
Amd is like a battered wife, and Intel being the abusive husband, he smackes her around all the time, but sometimes she will fight back like knocking him upside the head with a Athlon XP coated fryingpan, then INTEL smacks her around a NORTHWOOD log , but she is getting fed up, so next she will crack his skull with a HAMMER.,,,,,,,,,lol

I CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE,,<--- comes out of the closet screaming i am an AMD bieocth fan boy..

Thats unusual that you would make that comparison using a battered wife as an example. I was a juror on a murder trial where the battered wife, got battered one time too many and she blew her husband away with a double barrel shotgun. After seeing the pictures of what he did to her we turned in a verdict of not guilty and let her go, I really hope you didn't use this example so casually because thats part of your lifestyle. Well they say you reap what you sow in life, maybe I'll get to be a juror on your trial.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.