OS architecture

amir89hamzah

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
When i try to install window7,there are some option that make me to chose architecture 64x or 86x.
What is the "architecture"? and what is mean by architecture 64x and 86x?

Solution
Did you buy the retail version of Windows 7? If so, you should have two disks, one with the 32bit version (x86) and the other with the 64bit version.

Windows 7 64-bit supports the use of 64-bit capable software, and also allows you to use more than 4GB of RAM. Be aware that if you install Win 7 64, some older software (especially 16-bit) may not work.

Did you buy the retail version of Windows 7? If so, you should have two disks, one with the 32bit version (x86) and the other with the 64bit version.

Windows 7 64-bit supports the use of 64-bit capable software, and also allows you to use more than 4GB of RAM. Be aware that if you install Win 7 64, some older software (especially 16-bit) may not work.

Solution

panto

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
The question is essentially do you want to install 32 or 64 bit windows. If it's asking you then whatever you're installing from is able to install either architecture. If you have a 64 bit cpu then install x64, otherwise install x86. 32 bit applications will work on a 64 bit OS (for Intel and AMD anyway) but not the other way around. If you don't know whether your cpu is 32 or 64, just wikipedia or google it.

And as herr_koos said, 16 bit apps probably won't work - if you have apps that are.. i dunno, say, more than 10 years old? You'd need some kind of 16-bit virtual machine to run it :S

Its asking if you wish to install the 32 bit version or 64 bit version of Windows 7.

His version has a start menu which asks you to select the X86 or X64 version. I have a Windows 7 ultimate disk that does this.

I was able to install my C&C Gold from 1995 on Win 7 32, but it doesn't work in Win 7 64, so I'm not sure I agree with you.

As far as I know, Windows 7 32 bit will still run 16 bit code. No version of 64 bit windows supports 16 bit software.

windows7guy

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Hello amir89hamzah,

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.

Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP

I hope that helps you out!

You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support