Arrush

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
hi guys

looking for some suggestions...

i reaplced my hsf yesterday, and after i was all done my computer didnt boot anymore. Power seems to work couse all the fans and hd power up, motherboard i'm not sure about, but the agp slot is getting power couse the fan on the vid card spins, and the heat sink still gets warm so i think the cpu work too? tried a few vid cards and still nothing... any suggestions on what i fried would be appriciated

Was it a standard heatsink fan that plugs into the M/B itself, or one with a sensing wire with a separate main power adapter, some of the latter setups have to have the Fan Off Control feature deactivated in the CMOS setup, or the safety feature shuts down the M/B, now thats common to newer M/Bs and you didn't post what you have.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Arrush

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
sorry ;) here are some more details

its a ECS K7S5A mobo, and the heat sink is the thermaltake 9 (its just set to default, with the jumper on running at 4800rpm, i didnt attach the sensor to it)

also, all i have connected is the vid-card, ram, power supply, and keyboard.

let me know if you need any other information.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Arrush on 09/25/02 10:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
No beeps, nothing on the screen, HD's led or CD-ROM activity?

Do you have another CPU to test it? I just hope you didn't hurt the CPU core when you change the HSF ...

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

Arrush

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
nope, no activity, no beeps of any sort, just the fans start up, and the hd's if i give them power, and the fan on the agp card..

would the cpu still get warm even thou it was damaged?
how easy is it to damage one anyways?

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Isnt that the board that runs unstable with anything less than a 350 watt PSU, if so the new fan could draw a teensy bit more than the old one, making it extremmely unstable.... ok bad idea. But what PSU do you have anyway?

My sig's faster than yours, and it overclocks better too....

Arrush

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2002
its a 300w antec supply, and currently the only thing running off of it, is that fan, so i doubt its that issue

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
If I'm not wrong, the CPU will warm even if it's broken. Happen to me with one broken EDO RAM (yeah, old times). I think the reason it's because the mobo still supply power to the CPU. Even the CPU can't do its job, it's consuming the energy (don't know if I have explained quite clear ...)

I you have already try to hook to your PSU the basic components and still doesn't boot, maybe it's time to quit your HSF and look carefully to your CPU core. Look for scratches, specially on the edges and corners. If it's perfect, try to get an AMD CPU from a friend just to make sure it isn't your CPU.

Hope this helps.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

TRENDING THREADS