Help with XP

Hi
I have a Dimension 2350 which requires
a HD format and OS reinstall.
The PC has MS XP Home Ed, with which I am not familar. I do have the Dell OS
reinstallation CD.
Does this CD require startup diskettes
like win2k? Or does this PC boot from this
Reinstallation CD?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Fred
5 answers Last reply
More about help

    Dell's reinstall CD is just about identical to an OEM Windows XP Home CD. Put
    it in the CD-ROM drive and go. You'll also need any driver CDs Dell provided
    with the system... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:25:31 GMT, "FreddieN" <Pacbel2973@dlink.net> wrote:

    >Hi
    >I have a Dimension 2350 which requires
    >a HD format and OS reinstall.
    >The PC has MS XP Home Ed, with which I am not familar. I do have the Dell OS
    >reinstallation CD.
    >Does this CD require startup diskettes
    >like win2k? Or does this PC boot from this
    >Reinstallation CD?
    >
    >Any advice greatly appreciated.
    >Thanks
    >Fred

    OK...so after formating, the PC will boot from the CD and OS will install.
    Yes I have the other CD from Dell with all the drivers.
    Thanks very much
    Fred

    FreddieN wrote:

    > OK...so after formating, the PC will boot from the CD and OS will install.
    > Yes I have the other CD from Dell with all the drivers.
    > Thanks very much
    > Fred

    Set the BIOS to boot to the CD first. Put the CD in and start the
    computer. At one point you get an option to delete any partions. Do that
    and then recreate the partition. XP will format the drive and install
    Windows.

    If you've done a Win2K install, it's practically identical.

    Bob

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > Dell's reinstall CD is just about identical to an OEM Windows XP Home CD. Put
    > it in the CD-ROM drive and go. You'll also need any driver CDs Dell provided
    > with the system... Ben Myers

    If your 2350 has chipset drivers, install them first (otherwise you
    might get weird errors in Device Manager).

    The XP CD will install a working and error-free Windows XP. The graphics
    drivers will be somewhat crippled compared to the true required drivers, but I
    have not seen Device Manager errors when reinstalling Windows XP on modern P4
    Dell computers. XP is a little more tolerant than its predecessors regarding
    drivers.

    Same with the motherboard chipset drivers which handle IDE/ATAPI devices. XP
    has a least common denominator driver with works with virtually all IDE/ATAPI
    controller chipsets... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:30:22 GMT, Sparky <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >> Dell's reinstall CD is just about identical to an OEM Windows XP Home CD. Put
    >> it in the CD-ROM drive and go. You'll also need any driver CDs Dell provided
    >> with the system... Ben Myers
    >
    >If your 2350 has chipset drivers, install them first (otherwise you
    >might get weird errors in Device Manager).

Dell Windows XP CD-Rom Computers