Status
Not open for further replies.

mershaq

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Hello toms. I'm new to the world of laptops but know a bit about desktops,

My friend is going to America in late November and wants to buy a gaming laptop

1. What is your budget? 1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? the biggest possible least 13", again not sure about how this will affect the cost

3. What screen resolution do you want? Unsure, best possible for price

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need? 2hr least, not sure what is common

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? YES, highest possible. BF3, MW3, deux ex

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) None

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. anywhere

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2 years but would like to the upgradability (is that a word) of laptops

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. best for gaming

13. What country do you live in? Australia, buying in America

Thanks in advice and opinions would be great

Solution
Hello, not sure why you got so little response, maybe because you gave very little info.

13" size is that the maximum or minimum that your friend is looking for?

a decent size laptop I'd say is a 15.6" they come out to 1920x1080 resolution.

The typical gaming brands out there are Alienware, Asus G-series (G53/54/73/74), Toshiba Qosmio, MSI GT series (680/780), Sager NP8100 series (NP8130/50/70). There could be other options out there from custom builders or overupgraded budget models.

Typically hardware would be somewhere in the neighborhood of i7 quad core, nVidia GTX560 or ATI 6950, 8gb ram and 500gb hdd. Everything else comes with default features that are good enough most of the time.

You said you buying in america so I'll...
Hello, not sure why you got so little response, maybe because you gave very little info.

13" size is that the maximum or minimum that your friend is looking for?

a decent size laptop I'd say is a 15.6" they come out to 1920x1080 resolution.

The typical gaming brands out there are Alienware, Asus G-series (G53/54/73/74), Toshiba Qosmio, MSI GT series (680/780), Sager NP8100 series (NP8130/50/70). There could be other options out there from custom builders or overupgraded budget models.

Typically hardware would be somewhere in the neighborhood of i7 quad core, nVidia GTX560 or ATI 6950, 8gb ram and 500gb hdd. Everything else comes with default features that are good enough most of the time.

You said you buying in america so I'll assume the budget is in USD and you're looking for USA based websites for the purchase. Newegg is a good overall search source, you can also try manufacturer websites directly or some boutique vendor like xoticpc (NE), but depending on where your friend is going you might look for something closer to him (digitalstorm - CA, or OriginPC - FL)

Good luck, if you got more questions, ask.

Solution

mershaq

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I'm not really sure about laptops so not sure what is decent screen size for that budget, so is 15" and 1920x1080 standard for that price range?.

Can you give some suggestion to start the search?

What default features should I be looking for?

He is going to to NY and DC.

perfectblue

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
The best laptop for that price is MSI 683 GTR or GT780DXR. Both have the latest 570GTX graphic card and carry 1 year international warranty.

For this range you can go brands which offer warranty globally (MSI or ASUS) or in USA only (SAGER, etc).

Look for full hd 1920 x 1080, 15 or 17 inch.
Video cards: 560 GTX and above.
Processor: i7 quad core
Ram: 8GB +

Status
Not open for further replies.