how to find the correct Devices after reinstall of XP

I reinstalled XP on my wife's bosses Dell 2400 and when finished I can't
find the model and numbers for the devices so to get the correct drivers..
All paper work is missing on this computer and in Device manager is doesn't
give for example which video card is installed, need to know all devices for
updates.. is there a program I can run that will identify my particular
devices?
10 answers Last reply
More about find correct devices reinstall

    "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I reinstalled XP on my wife's bosses Dell 2400 and when finished I can't
    >find the model and numbers for the devices so to get the correct drivers..
    >All paper work is missing on this computer and in Device manager is doesn't
    >give for example which video card is installed, need to know all devices
    >for updates.. is there a program I can run that will identify my particular
    >devices?

    Windows key+pause/break / hardware tab / click on 'device manager'.

    If you don't see any yellow "!" or "?" indicators of problem devices, then
    there's no need to look up drivers.

    I agree that Belarc PC Audit ( a free download) will do pretty well in
    ID'ing your installed hardware and software.

    Stew

    start looking for another job, how about the disk the comes with it.
    It had all the drivers on it.
    "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I reinstalled XP on my wife's bosses Dell 2400 and when finished I can't
    >find the model and numbers for the devices so to get the correct drivers..
    >All paper work is missing on this computer and in Device manager is doesn't
    >give for example which video card is installed, need to know all devices
    >for updates.. is there a program I can run that will identify my particular
    >devices?

    Wow nice,,, this isn;'t my "job".. what an @$$... never been slammed at this
    Dell newsgroup in the 7 years I've been here...
    Yes I have the dell drivers disc but it has drivers for multiple devices in
    the same category (such as different Drivers for different model
    soundcards).. and yes in device manager there are " yellow "!" or "?".....
    ..

    In news:n66dnX_UX6g2XQHcRVn-ug@adelphia.com,
    Pinger <Pinger@yahoo.com> opined:
    > I reinstalled XP on my wife's bosses Dell 2400 and when finished I
    > can't find the model and numbers for the devices so to get the
    > correct drivers.. All paper work is missing on this computer and in
    > Device manager is doesn't give for example which video card is
    > installed, need to know all devices for updates.. is there a program
    > I can run that will identify my particular devices?

    www.belarc.com
    Belarc advisor Free
    Just download and run -- will tell you all you want to know
    :-)
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply

    Thank You yddap,,,

    "Yddap" <yddap@spyentrailsmac.com> wrote in message
    > In news:n66dnX_UX6g2XQHcRVn-ug@adelphia.com,
    > Pinger <Pinger@yahoo.com> opined:
    >> I reinstalled XP on my wife's bosses Dell 2400 and when finished I
    >> can't find the model and numbers for the devices so to get the
    >> correct drivers.. All paper work is missing on this computer and in
    >> Device manager is doesn't give for example which video card is
    >> installed, need to know all devices for updates.. is there a program
    >> I can run that will identify my particular devices?
    >
    > www.belarc.com
    > Belarc advisor Free
    > Just download and run -- will tell you all you want to know
    > :-)
    > --
    >
    > Yddap
    > Remove guts to reply

    Just go to Dell tech support and plug in the service tag. Look at the
    original configuration.

    "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I reinstalled XP on my wife's bosses Dell 2400 and when finished I can't
    >find the model and numbers for the devices so to get the correct drivers..
    >All paper work is missing on this computer and in Device manager is doesn't
    >give for example which video card is installed, need to know all devices
    >for updates.. is there a program I can run that will identify my particular
    >devices?

    Tried that but for some reason the specifics are not there... wierd huh..
    going to try Yddap's suggestion..

    > Just go to Dell tech support and plug in the service tag. Look at the
    > original configuration.
    >
    > "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I reinstalled XP on my wife's bosses Dell 2400 and when finished I can't
    >>find the model and numbers for the devices so to get the correct drivers..
    >>All paper work is missing on this computer and in Device manager is
    >>doesn't give for example which video card is installed, need to know all
    >>devices for updates.. is there a program I can run that will identify my
    >>particular devices?

    The Dell Dimension 2400's are based on a variant of the Intel 845 chipset, so go
    to www.intel.com , enter the downloads section, download and install first the
    basic 845 chipset drivers. Next, download and install the 845 graphics drivers.
    The latter will not work properly until the former are installed.

    Modern (Pentium I or later) Intel chipset drivers will work with most any brand
    of motherboard. The Dimension 2400 board uses an Intel design, but another
    contract manufacturer such as Foxconn cranks out the actual boards.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:33:00 -0500, "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I reinstalled XP on my wife's bosses Dell 2400 and when finished I can't
    >find the model and numbers for the devices so to get the correct drivers..
    >All paper work is missing on this computer and in Device manager is doesn't
    >give for example which video card is installed, need to know all devices for
    >updates.. is there a program I can run that will identify my particular
    >devices?

    if you run the Dell soultion provider drivers disk it willidentify all the
    drivers needed for that machine and each driver ticked will with moise over
    tell you which O/S its for
    > Just go to Dell tech support and plug in the service tag. Look at the
    > original configuration.
    >
    > "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I reinstalled XP on my wife's bosses Dell 2400 and when finished I can't
    >>find the model and numbers for the devices so to get the correct drivers..
    >>All paper work is missing on this computer and in Device manager is
    >>doesn't give for example which video card is installed, need to know all
    >>devices for updates.. is there a program I can run that will identify my
    >>particular devices?

    OHH yes I nearly forgot you must load the Intel chipset drivers 1st and then
    reboot before you load anything else
    > The Dell Dimension 2400's are based on a variant of the Intel 845 chipset,
    > so go
    > to www.intel.com , enter the downloads section, download and install first
    > the
    > basic 845 chipset drivers. Next, download and install the 845 graphics
    > drivers.
    > The latter will not work properly until the former are installed.
    >
    > Modern (Pentium I or later) Intel chipset drivers will work with most any
    > brand
    > of motherboard. The Dimension 2400 board uses an Intel design, but
    > another
    > contract manufacturer such as Foxconn cranks out the actual boards.
    >
    > ... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:33:00 -0500, "Pinger" <Pinger@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I reinstalled XP on my wife's bosses Dell 2400 and when finished I can't
    >>find the model and numbers for the devices so to get the correct drivers..
    >>All paper work is missing on this computer and in Device manager is
    >>doesn't
    >>give for example which video card is installed, need to know all devices
    >>for
    >>updates.. is there a program I can run that will identify my particular
    >>devices?

Dell Devices Windows XP Computers