Imagine Mozilla Firefox Without Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I'm not sure I follow. They think that if Firefox shipped with a different home page that people would switch from Google to that new search engine partner? I doubt it. The first thing I do when I start up a new browser is change the start page. I would use Google regardless of my choice of browsers.

macer1

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Fuser were not the majority. MOST if not ALMOST ALL people who use a web browser couldn't even tell you how to even clear your browsing history , cache & cookies. so yea if firefox shipped with a new start page I'm sure the new start page would see a healthy increase in "searches"

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I think it's just a bad idea to cut ties with Google as it is the world's largest search engine. Heck, it's become an instinct for me to type www.google.ca without thinking whenever I need to look up something even when there's a Google searchbar.

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]macer1[/nom]Fuser were not the majority. MOST if not ALMOST ALL people who use a web browser couldn't even tell you how to even clear your browsing history , cache & cookies. so yea if firefox shipped with a new start page I'm sure the new start page would see a healthy increase in "searches"[/citation]
I would argue that the majority of those using Firefox actively chose a different browser, and would thus be intelligent enough to change their home page. It's the first option on the first tab in Preferences, or you can just drag the icon by the url about 20 pixels to the left to the home icon.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I agree with macer1. The reason IE is still king is because many people don't even know there are other browsers out there, much less how to install them. This is why having that IE icon on the desktop by default is such a big issue with the EU and its anti-trust litigation. Its easy to say people will download or change what they want, but most people aren't technically inclined (this is why linux fails). These people are lucky they can find the power button on their computer. This deal between Google and Mozilla affects people who probably had FireFox installed on their computer by a friend or family member, and otherwise have no idea whats going on behind the scenes. All they do is search in Firefox, and right now that leads to Google. In the future it might lead to Yahoo! or Ask, who knows.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
[citation][nom]skine[/nom]I would argue that the majority of those using Firefox actively chose a different browser, and would thus be intelligent enough to change their home page. It's the first option on the first tab in Preferences, or you can just drag the icon by the url about 20 pixels to the left to the home icon.[/citation]

I really want to believe most of those who use Firefox use a different browser, but I myself use Google esp with the search bar on the top right. Would you have any research to back up this claim?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Regardless of internet savvy, I'm sure that Firefox switching default search companies would have an effect on the search engine market. It might only shift it a couple of percent, but that's a sizable amount. Of course I'm using Chrome as I type this (switched from FF), so now it seems that world of search has calmed down and the browser wars are starting to heat up again (especially with the new EU push to get IE out of Windows 7).

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]that_aznpride101[/nom]I really want to believe most of those who use Firefox use a different browser, but I myself use Google esp with the search bar on the top right. Would you have any research to back up this claim?[/citation]
I'm confused as to what you want me to back up. Firefox does not ship with Windows or Mac operating systems, which account for 98% of total operating system market share. Thus, for Firefox to hold 22% of the market, many using Mac or Windows must have actively installed Firefox as their primary browser.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]I agree with macer1. The reason IE is still king is because many people don't even know there are other browsers out there, much less how to install them.[/citation]
I disagree. Anyone who reads a newspaper or watches television knows about Firefox. Back when IE was getting hit with malware on a weekly basis it was a regular feature on network news. People are just lazy.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Nah, you give people too much credit. Most people are extremely computer illiterate and don't even know what a browser is. One of the most frustrating things is trying to help friends and family with their computers because they're completely clueless about everything, even ones who grew up with computers still don't know how to do much besides install games or use basic software. I think laziness factors in too but it's not that big of a percentage.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I use google a lot for my browsing and searching with Firefox. That's mainly because of the convenience of it being located in my address bar. I could change it any time, but I have no reason yet to do so.

TH has had some good articles today, most of them very interesting to read and respond to.

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
I'm confused. If firefox and google go their separate ways, does this mean that www.google.com wouldn't exist when browsing the internet on firefox, or would this just mean that the default homepage on firefox would be different?

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]I'm confused. If firefox and google go their separate ways, does this mean that www.google.com wouldn't exist when browsing the internet on firefox, or would this just mean that the default homepage on firefox would be different?[/citation]

Unless google and firefox started despising each other and decided they would not allow users to use each other's services, then Google and Firefox will always work together. If Firefox stopped allowing Google to be used, Firefox would lose tons of market share. If Google decided to stop allowing Firefox users, Google would lose tons of market share.
I'm not an expert, so take my opinion with a grain of salt!

engrpiman

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
if they changes it , I would change it back to Google!

There are a lot of technology illiterate people out there (I work with some).

skine

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
[citation][nom]twisted politiks[/nom]I'm confused. If firefox and google go their separate ways, does this mean that www.google.com wouldn't exist when browsing the internet on firefox, or would this just mean that the default homepage on firefox would be different?[/citation]
I'm confident in saying that Firefox blocking any website would go against the whole concept of open source.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Lol, exactly the type of people the guys are talking about up above. Even on an enthusiest site, you'll see people who really dont have the time, passion, or ability to be educated about this type of thing, and will use just whatever is avaliable and wont inconvenience themselves to change it.

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I really don't like this move for Firefox, especially if the company switch is to yahoo!, which I for one hate with a passion. It's those bloody ask/yahoo search bars that keep popping up when I least expect them.

The Firefox/Google combo has been a winning combo for years, why change a good thing?

twisted politiks

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
[citation][nom]curnel_d[/nom]Lol, exactly the type of people the guys are talking about up above. Even on an enthusiest site, you'll see people who really dont have the time, passion, or ability to be educated about this type of thing, and will use just whatever is avaliable and wont inconvenience themselves to change it.[/citation]

Excuse me but you sir/mam are an a**hole. I feel I'm pretty educated with computers, seing as i have built very decent computers myself, have many certs, work on computers on my freetime/ IT person for my work. so if you would call that uneducated then idk what would be considered educated short of having a degree in computer physics, etc. I was just confused as to the ability to still use google as a general search engine with firefox, not whether it would still be the default homepage, seeing as i actually have www.tomshardware.com/us as my homepage.

Status
Not open for further replies.