Sign in with
Your question

Not sure on new laptop?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
October 23, 2011 4:26:16 PM

Really not sure on what to do about a new laptop. I need a new one within the next month really as my current one is a bit slow.... The dell that I've been looking at I can get down from £1000 ish to £750 with a 15% off voucher and up to 10% off with quidco. But I'd like to use the laptop for some decent gaming (dead island, mw3, bf3, fallout vegas) And I'm worried being a fairly lowend-medium card it might not cover it. But I also don't really want to be paying more. Is this the best card/laptop I'm going to be getting for my money? Thanks.

The specs are as listed :

Base :
2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz
Microsoft Operating System:
English Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
Memory:
6144MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [1x4096 + 1x2048]
Keyboard:
Internal Backlit UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
Video Card:
2GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M Graphics Card
Hard Drive:
750GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
Optical Devices
8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
Wireless Networking:
Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card)
Color Choice:
Metalloid Aluminum Cover
Standard Warranty Standard Service - 1 year of Collect & Return 10 day coverage included with your PC
Enhanced Service Packs 3Yr Next Day Hardware Support
LCD:
LCD 15.6"(40 cm) HD WLED TL (1366x768) 720p with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera

More about : laptop

a c 456 D Laptop
October 23, 2011 4:33:20 PM

The video card will bottleneck your gaming experience. At best you can set games to medium quality.

Since most games are GPU intensive rather than CPU intensive, my recommendation is to drop down to a dual core CPU and get a faster video card. Having a faster video card will give your laptop more longevity when you play more demanding games.
October 23, 2011 4:35:03 PM

That wasn't an option. This card is the best dell seem to do without moving to a alienware laptop. The CPU also definitely has to be a i5 or i7.
Related resources
October 25, 2011 4:16:02 PM

ah sorry I'm in the UK, the graphics are very poor on that anyway :p  Thanks for the suggestion though! Ended up buying that dell laptop last night anyway, should be here this weekend!
!