HD IDE Cable - New XPS Gen 3

Quick question... I just purchased a new XPS Gen 3 (3.6) with a single 74GB
10,000 RPM HD. I did not get a second drive since I already have some large
drives here that I planned to add. Problem is since I only ordered the
computer with one drive, the primary IDE cable for the HD only has a single
connector. Is this typical? Can I just pick up a standard two-connector
IDE cable in order to add the second drive?

TIA for your suggestions!

Doug
15 answers Last reply
More about cable

    Are you talking about the IDE cable or the SATA cable. The 74GB drive is
    not an IDE drive. It is a SATA drive and it requires a SATA cable. If you
    order the retail version of the drive, it will come with a SATA cable.

    "Doug Miannay" <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Quick question... I just purchased a new XPS Gen 3 (3.6) with a single
    > 74GB 10,000 RPM HD. I did not get a second drive since I already have
    > some large drives here that I planned to add. Problem is since I only
    > ordered the computer with one drive, the primary IDE cable for the HD only
    > has a single connector. Is this typical? Can I just pick up a standard
    > two-connector IDE cable in order to add the second drive?
    >
    > TIA for your suggestions!
    >
    > Doug

    I guess that in my ignorance I ordered a configuration where I can't add an
    IDE drive to the same cable as the SATA drive. Am I correct? That poses a
    problem for me... I'm going to have to find some other solution to allow me
    to use the 160GB IDE drive I have all my data on from the computer the XPS
    is replacing.

    > Are you talking about the IDE cable or the SATA cable. The 74GB drive is
    > not an IDE drive. It is a SATA drive and it requires a SATA cable. If
    > you order the retail version of the drive, it will come with a SATA cable.
    >
    > "Doug Miannay" <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> Quick question... I just purchased a new XPS Gen 3 (3.6) with a single
    >> 74GB 10,000 RPM HD. I did not get a second drive since I already have
    >> some large drives here that I planned to add. Problem is since I only
    >> ordered the computer with one drive, the primary IDE cable for the HD
    >> only has a single connector. Is this typical? Can I just pick up a
    >> standard two-connector IDE cable in order to add the second drive?
    >>
    >> TIA for your suggestions!
    >>
    >> Doug

    If you only have one optical drive, the IDE drive can go on that. If it
    only has one connector, then, yes, a cable with two connectors is all you
    need.

    tom
    >I guess that in my ignorance I ordered a configuration where I can't add an
    >IDE drive to the same cable as the SATA drive. Am I correct? That poses a
    >problem for me... I'm going to have to find some other solution to allow me
    >to use the 160GB IDE drive I have all my data on from the computer the XPS
    >is replacing.
    >
    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Are you talking about the IDE cable or the SATA cable. The 74GB drive is
    >> not an IDE drive. It is a SATA drive and it requires a SATA cable. If
    >> you order the retail version of the drive, it will come with a SATA
    >> cable.
    >>
    >> "Doug Miannay" <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>> Quick question... I just purchased a new XPS Gen 3 (3.6) with a single
    >>> 74GB 10,000 RPM HD. I did not get a second drive since I already have
    >>> some large drives here that I planned to add. Problem is since I only
    >>> ordered the computer with one drive, the primary IDE cable for the HD
    >>> only has a single connector. Is this typical? Can I just pick up a
    >>> standard two-connector IDE cable in order to add the second drive?
    >>>
    >>> TIA for your suggestions!
    >>>
    >>> Doug

    plus you could also by an external usb2 HDD enclosure
    > If you only have one optical drive, the IDE drive can go on that. If it
    > only has one connector, then, yes, a cable with two connectors is all you
    > need.
    >
    > tom
    > "Doug Miannay" <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>I guess that in my ignorance I ordered a configuration where I can't add
    >>an IDE drive to the same cable as the SATA drive. Am I correct? That
    >>poses a problem for me... I'm going to have to find some other solution to
    >>allow me to use the 160GB IDE drive I have all my data on from the
    >>computer the XPS is replacing.
    >>
    >> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Are you talking about the IDE cable or the SATA cable. The 74GB drive
    >>> is not an IDE drive. It is a SATA drive and it requires a SATA cable.
    >>> If you order the retail version of the drive, it will come with a SATA
    >>> cable.
    >>>
    >>> "Doug Miannay" <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    There are adapters made by several manufacturers that
    will convert between PATA and SATA. You could use
    one of those to connect your PATA drive to the SATA
    controller. If your PC's PCI Express bus is backward
    compatible with PCI, another alternative is to get a PCI
    card with an ATA controller on it. You can get those
    from Promise, SIIG, HighPoint, etc.

    *TimDaniels*

    "Fixer" wrote:
    > plus you could also by an external usb2 HDD enclosure
    >
    > "Tom Scales" wrote:
    >> If you only have one optical drive, the IDE drive can go
    >> on that. If it only has one connector, then, yes, a cable
    >> with two connectors is all you need.
    >>
    >> "Doug Miannay" wrote:
    >>>I guess that in my ignorance I ordered a configuration
    >>>where I can't add an IDE drive to the same cable as
    >>>the SATA drive. Am I correct? That poses a problem
    >>>for me... I'm going to have to find some other solution to
    >>>allow me to use the 160GB IDE drive I have all my data
    >>>on from the computer the XPS is replacing.

    I installed my spare IDE drive in a $27 USB2 external hard drive enclosure.
    Works great!

    "Doug Miannay" <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >I guess that in my ignorance I ordered a configuration where I can't add an
    >IDE drive to the same cable as the SATA drive. Am I correct? That poses a
    >problem for me... I'm going to have to find some other solution to allow me
    >to use the 160GB IDE drive I have all my data on from the computer the XPS
    >is replacing.
    >
    > "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Are you talking about the IDE cable or the SATA cable. The 74GB drive is
    >> not an IDE drive. It is a SATA drive and it requires a SATA cable. If
    >> you order the retail version of the drive, it will come with a SATA
    >> cable.
    >>
    >> "Doug Miannay" <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>> Quick question... I just purchased a new XPS Gen 3 (3.6) with a single
    >>> 74GB 10,000 RPM HD. I did not get a second drive since I already have
    >>> some large drives here that I planned to add. Problem is since I only
    >>> ordered the computer with one drive, the primary IDE cable for the HD
    >>> only has a single connector. Is this typical? Can I just pick up a
    >>> standard two-connector IDE cable in order to add the second drive?
    >>>
    >>> TIA for your suggestions!
    >>>
    >>> Doug

    On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:43:33 -0500, "Doug Miannay"
    <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >I guess that in my ignorance I ordered a configuration where I can't add an
    >IDE drive to the same cable as the SATA drive. Am I correct? That poses a
    >problem for me... I'm going to have to find some other solution to allow me
    >to use the 160GB IDE drive I have all my data on from the computer the XPS
    >is replacing.

    My Dimension XPS (Gen 2, almost a year old), was ordered and shipped
    with a single SATA drive.

    I added two "old" IDE drives (which, along with CD and DVD burners,
    makes a total of 4 IDE devices). And since I have a drawer-full of
    old IDE drives, I installed one of those removeable drive ports, so I
    can swap them in and out.

    And, as I recall, there is still a second SATA receptacle on the
    mother board, so I could add a second SATA drive, giving 4 internal
    HDs.

    Doesn't your Gen 3 have two IDE channels?

    --John W. Wells

    NO, four SATA and one PATA.

    "John W. Wells" <djinn@7Tsimmery.axe> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 21:43:33 -0500, "Doug Miannay"
    > <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I guess that in my ignorance I ordered a configuration where I can't add
    >>an
    >>IDE drive to the same cable as the SATA drive. Am I correct? That poses
    >>problem for me... I'm going to have to find some other solution to allow
    >>me
    >>to use the 160GB IDE drive I have all my data on from the computer the XPS
    >>is replacing.
    >
    > My Dimension XPS (Gen 2, almost a year old), was ordered and shipped
    > with a single SATA drive.
    >
    > I added two "old" IDE drives (which, along with CD and DVD burners,
    > makes a total of 4 IDE devices). And since I have a drawer-full of
    > old IDE drives, I installed one of those removeable drive ports, so I
    > can swap them in and out.
    >
    > And, as I recall, there is still a second SATA receptacle on the
    > mother board, so I could add a second SATA drive, giving 4 internal
    > HDs.
    >
    > Doesn't your Gen 3 have two IDE channels?
    >
    > --John W. Wells

    Thanks everyone for the valuable comments. My choices are clear:

    1. Get an SATA to PATA adapter PCI board, or
    2. Pick up a new SATA HDD drive (which includes the cable).

    I believe choice # 2 is the way to go since a new HDD will increase the
    overall storage I have on our home network. The IDE drive I wanted to
    install in the new XPS Gen3 can just stay in my older Dimension 8250 since
    it's on the network anyway. I really just need a second larger drive in the
    XPS so I can get all my data off the primary partition (74GB WD HDD).
    Drives are pretty cheap so adding more storage space is the right way to go
    here.

    Again, thanks for all the responses.

    Doug

    "Doug Miannay" wrote:
    > Thanks everyone for the valuable comments. My choices are clear:
    >
    > 1. Get an SATA to PATA adapter PCI board, or
    > 2. Pick up a new SATA HDD drive (which includes the cable).

    For the record, the SATA/PATA adapters are not necessarily
    PCI boards (those contain the entire IDE controller), but rather
    are cards measuring somewhere around 1 1/2 in. by 2 in.
    and they plug directly into the PATA hard drive. Here is
    one sold by Kingwin:
    http://kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=49&ID=218

    Here are current prices for the unit:
    http://www1.pricetool.com/xGS-Sata_Converter~NS-1~linkin_id-3064974

    *TimDaniels*

    I had the same problem with the 8400. I had a brand new IDE drive
    waiting to install into the new computer when I got it. NO GO. I got
    an external Maxtor and love it.

    Recently my old computer went down. I reinstalled windows and had all
    the docs backed up on the external drive along with other info that
    was very pertinent. Hooked the drive to the USB port and restored it
    all. Great way to go.

    >Thanks everyone for the valuable comments. My choices are clear:
    >
    >1. Get an SATA to PATA adapter PCI board, or
    >2. Pick up a new SATA HDD drive (which includes the cable).
    >
    >I believe choice # 2 is the way to go since a new HDD will increase the
    >overall storage I have on our home network. The IDE drive I wanted to
    >install in the new XPS Gen3 can just stay in my older Dimension 8250 since
    >it's on the network anyway. I really just need a second larger drive in the
    >XPS so I can get all my data off the primary partition (74GB WD HDD).
    >Drives are pretty cheap so adding more storage space is the right way to go
    >here.
    >
    >Again, thanks for all the responses.
    >
    >Doug
    >
    >"Doug Miannay" <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> Quick question... I just purchased a new XPS Gen 3 (3.6) with a single
    >> 74GB 10,000 RPM HD. I did not get a second drive since I already have
    >> some large drives here that I planned to add. Problem is since I only
    >> ordered the computer with one drive, the primary IDE cable for the HD only
    >> has a single connector. Is this typical? Can I just pick up a standard
    >> two-connector IDE cable in order to add the second drive?
    >>
    >> TIA for your suggestions!
    >>
    >> Doug

    I guess my biggest issue would be any performance degredation due to having
    to go through an adapter. Is the performance degraded much? Would an
    equivalently sized SATA drive connected directly to the MB perform better
    than and IDE drive connected via an adapter?

    Thanks again for all your help with this!

    Doug

    "Doug Miannay" wrote:
    > "Timothy Daniels" wrote
    >> "Doug Miannay" wrote:
    >>> Thanks everyone for the valuable comments. My choices are clear:
    >>>
    >>> 1. Get an SATA to PATA adapter PCI board, or
    >>> 2. Pick up a new SATA HDD drive (which includes the cable).
    >>

    >> For the record, the SATA/PATA adapters are not necessarily
    >> PCI boards (those contain the entire IDE controller), but rather
    >> are cards measuring somewhere around 1 1/2 in. by 2 in.
    >> and they plug directly into the PATA hard drive. Here is
    >> one sold by Kingwin:
    >> http://kingwin.com/pdut_detail.asp?LineID=&CateID=49&ID=218
    >>
    >> Here are current prices for the unit:
    >> http://www1.pricetool.com/xGS-Sata_Converter~NS-1~linkin_id-3064974
    >

    >I guess my biggest issue would be any performance degredation due to having
    > to go through an adapter. Is the performance degraded much? Would an
    > equivalently sized SATA drive connected directly to the MB perform better
    > than and IDE drive connected via an adapter?

    I'm not an electrical engineer, but my educated guess would be that
    the speeds would be *virtually* identical for hard drives having the
    same rated speed - not enough to justify a difference in cost. Of more
    concern might be the increase in circuitry to go wrong and another
    set of connectors to get corroded. If you want to use that PATA
    hard drive in your new machine, the adapter would be a cheap
    way to go. But if you have another use for it, and you can afford to
    buy a SATA drive, go ahead and keep your new machine "clean" by
    going with a SATA hard drive. For now, though, with the currently
    available SATA drives, there is no real speed difference and no
    performance "hit" by using a PATA drive with an adapter.

    *TimDaniels*

    Thanks folks! Excellent discussion and clear choices on which way to
    proceed!

    Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving to those of you who celebrate!

    Doug

    "Doug Miannay" <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Quick question... I just purchased a new XPS Gen 3 (3.6) with a single
    > 74GB 10,000 RPM HD. I did not get a second drive since I already have
    > some large drives here that I planned to add. Problem is since I only
    > ordered the computer with one drive, the primary IDE cable for the HD only
    > has a single connector. Is this typical? Can I just pick up a standard
    > two-connector IDE cable in order to add the second drive?
    >
    > TIA for your suggestions!
    >
    > Doug

    Oh, and the final follow-up. I purchased a Western Digital 120GB SATA drive
    for the new Dell XPS Gen3 and when I went to install it I was stopped
    because the new HD drive had the old style 4-pin power connector, which was
    clearly not compatible with the new SATA-style 15 pin power connector cables
    from the motherboard. I went to a local computer store to find an adapter
    cable to go from the SATA power cable to the 4-pin HDD power connector but
    couldn't find one with the proper male-female arrangement. I ended up
    getting am=n ols style 4-pin "Y" splitter power cable and branched off the
    DVD-RW 4-pin power connnector cable and now all is well.

    You know, it really does pay to do the research BEFORE heading to the store!
    I'm disappointed I didn't do more research first... ah, but you live and
    learn!

    Happy Thanksgiving again to all the USA readers!

    Doug

    > Thanks folks! Excellent discussion and clear choices on which way to
    > proceed!
    >
    > Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving to those of you who celebrate!
    >
    > Doug
    >
    > "Doug Miannay" <dmiannayREMOVE_THIS@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >> Quick question... I just purchased a new XPS Gen 3 (3.6) with a single
    >> 74GB 10,000 RPM HD. I did not get a second drive since I already have
    >> some large drives here that I planned to add. Problem is since I only
    >> ordered the computer with one drive, the primary IDE cable for the HD
    >> only has a single connector. Is this typical? Can I just pick up a
    >> standard two-connector IDE cable in order to add the second drive?
    >>
    >> TIA for your suggestions!
    >>
    >> Doug

Dell HD Cable Computers