coppermine tualatin speed difference

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
If I'd change my P 3 933MHz (coppermine) to a Celeron 1.4MHz (tualatin), how much would it increase the performance?

I don't think I'm gonna do it, because I have enough performance now.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It would result in a DECREASE in performance, I tested a 933 against a Celeron 1.2GHz overclocked to 1480 and got similar performance. The Celeron Tualatin is still a Celeron, it has 1/4 less bandwidth than your 933 and a lot more cache latency (1 cycle as compared to 0 cycles). I see a lot of so called "hardware" site extolling the virtues of these worthless processors without any real benchmarks to back them up, except some esoteric benches like Prime 95 or something that is based soley on CPU cycles, something real programs like games don't do.

If you would like to experiment with the Tualatin Celleron, I suggest a 1GHz version, as you could likely overclock that to 1.4GHz at 140MHz FSB, as opposed to the stock sucky 100MHz FSB, and you'd probably get at least 25% better performance from a 1000@1400 than a 1400@stock simply because of the increased bus speed.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
First of all, do you have a board that would take a Tualatin? Also, keep in mind that a Celeron at 1.4 would have a bus speed of 100MHz vs the 133MHz on the P3 CuMine. What I'd suggest is a Celeron 1.1 overclocked to 1.46. That would run it at 133MHz FSB and it would definitely be a big speed increase. As for the disadvantages of the Celeron's L2 cache latency, the data prefetch logic more than makes up for it as seen <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/celeron-1200/" target="_new">here</A>. Whether the extra FSB of the CuMine will benefit you more than the extra clockrate is anyone's guess and would depend greatly on what you do. However, as most applications are more CPU dependent at the 1.4ish GHz mark for that particular core, I'd say you will indeed see a speed increase in your average application. Although how much is up to debate.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
My board (Asus CUSL-2C) would need an adapter for FCPGA2. It seems to be supported by the upgradeware's 370GU-adapter.

This is something I might do when the processors are dirt cheap as I don't think I really need one now.

A completely new system would be better I guess.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
indeed. hold off for a while.
your system is still decent. 933mhz is nothing to sniff at. wait until a cheap replacment blows the socks of your current system ;)

<b>I am an Emotional and Intellectual Strumpet! :cool: </b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like I said, you MIGHT see a reasonable improvement with a Tualatin Celeron 1000 at 1400, but you WON'T with a stock Celeron 1400.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>