To Wait or Buy Now?

Rynthar

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
Over the past...four weeks I have been waiting for the XP 2600 to come out, hasnt yet, only 2400. A few days ago, I read a article on this site that AMD is planning to launch a new line of 2700+ and 2800+ chips that come out in mid october. Is that legit? Also, supposedly a 3000 and 3200 might come out in early decemeber. I hear some plans about possible 3.0's and 3.2's from Intel but no date.

So first, the question is, if my expected date to start building is in a month (as in thats when I order the parts) should I wait until thanksgiving to buy parts or do it then (odds are, I might be buying in 2-3 weeks instead).

But now, the question is AMD or Intel...and which speed. Right now, the two motherboards I will most likely get (95% chance unless a better version comes out) are AMD- A7V8X and Intel- P4T33 (are these good mobos?).

Help please =)

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
well depending on where you're sitting now with current specs. Myself, I'm sitting with an O/C'd 1700+. I'll upgrade before the year is out, but I'm waiting for the 'latest and greatest' to come out before I shell out the cash. Why? Because, i'm sitting above mainstream right now, I'm only upgrading because my 14yr olds 633 Celery is starting to show it's age. Prices will plummet as the newer faster chips come out, and if AMD goes to 166 FSB with the 2700+'s, I should get a sweet deal on the 'slower' 2600+ then. I will be set for another 1-2 years before the software even comes close to the performance of that chip,(or when my 12 year old's 950 Thunderbird starts showing it's age).

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Buying the top-end of anything is basically getting yourself set up for massive price gouging, in terms of price/performance. Usually, I get 2-3 levels below the best, therefore, I still get very good performance, but at a much lower price.

Don't expect an XP3000/3200+ before the beginning of next year.

Since there are quite a few new products coming out soon, you may wanna wait a bit, or if not, the P4 2.4B is one of the better price/performance chips in the high-end. An XP2400+ is more expensive.

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...

TRENDING THREADS