flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Ok, this is about cooling systems and ocing, but this section is really lively, so I'll prolly get better input,
First question is I got this hood range fan from my kitchen (it's actually 2 big powerful turbines that suck in air, and let it out throu an opening). Now, which would be a better way to cool using it?
1) Use it as a case fan
2) Using a pipe, channel air through the pipe, and fit pipe onto heatsink (so it cools heatsink AND spreads through case cooling other things down+ hot air gets sucked out by reg case fans)
3) get water cooling system, and use it as w/ radiator
What do u guys think?
Second question is a little extreme. Say I got a machine that use makes liquid nitrogen by splitting air up and making it liquid. What would it take to use liquid nitrogen to cool a CPU w/o freezing it- how much would u have to OC it so that it produced enough heat so that it could manage the low temp of the liquid nitrogen?

What if you had admin rights to life?

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
interesing questions
those fans would seriously suck... and you could put quite an adaptor on them as they could handle alot of static pressure, i.e. big fan with narrow opening.
course water cooling is allways better than the best aircooling, so i choose #3. you could probably mount that fan up against a small car heater element for a serious radiator :smile: .

L2. glorious stuff. i dont think there is any cpu that puts out enough heat to stop it from freezing period. its just too damn cold -196C is what it BOILS at. even if your cpu started off at room temp, the addition of liquid nitrogen induces a teriffic temperature gradient of 200 degrees C or more!

it may work with some other compound though... dry ice maybe, or some liquid hydrocarbon with a moderate boiling temp.

<b>I am an Emotional and Intellectual Strumpet! :cool: </b>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Yeah, I'm going with #3. Will be my Christams present- water cooling system, 2x window kits w/ nuclear symbol , blue or green light, and then I place this fan there.....mwahahahah. It's really silent actually, only thing u hear is the air cirulating, not a whir of the motors or anything.
As for #2, my uncle worked at a compressed air factory, and knows how to make all this stuff, and was telling me about this 120K rpm turbine they had to split air into oxygen and nitrogen, and then they used the nitrogen to keep liquid oxygen, which gave me an idea:)

What if you had admin rights to life?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
your going to keep a 120k rpm fan in the same room as your computer??? your crazy!!!!

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
At 120k RPM you could defiantly justify the Turbo button on the computer, as Turbochargers run at that speed.

Complicated proofs are proofs of confusion.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i miss that turbo button. it was kind of a placebo, i would be waiting for something and get frustrated so i would press the turbo button repeatedly thinking it was helping.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm. be interesting to know how much static pressure those fans can overcome.
generally all casefans can only handle low static pressures, and thus make them unsuitable for pushing air into area's with allready elivated pressures, and make 60mm to 80mm fan adaptors less efficient.

hmmm. liquid oxygen. not advisible to use that stuff as a coolant lol.

<b>I am an Emotional and Intellectual Strumpet! :cool: </b>