Last response: in News & Leisure
August 11, 2011 3:08:43 PM

Salary of retired US Presidents .............$180,000 FOR LIFE
Salary of House/Senate .......................$174,00​0 FOR LIFE
Salary of Speaker of the House ............$223,500 FOR LIFE
Salary of Majority/Minority Leaders ...... $193,400 FOR LIFE
Average Salary of a teacher ................ $40,065
Average Salary of Soldier DEPLOYED IN AFGHANISTAN $38,000
I think we found where the cuts should be made!
August 11, 2011 3:24:18 PM

Politicians shouldn't get a dime after they've left office and ideally they should be forced to join an HMO for healthcare and not make more than the median wage (yeah, I know this would only foster corruption instead of making politicians care more about people who are not in the 95th percentile, but a man can dream...)
August 11, 2011 3:32:16 PM

Yeah we can do it like no child left behind.

You receive compensation depending on how well you have done in office.....Or make a law saying that we get to tax the shite out of any future book deals or speaking fees. Its only fair....
Related resources
August 11, 2011 4:39:34 PM

My mother is a retired teacher and they should make a lot more; most are screwed-out of their Social Security because of their pensions. Thankfully, my father retired very well. Most people in politics don't care about their salaries - write a book for $5M~$8M+, some 'inside deal,' speaking for $50K~$100K for a day or two, etc. I personally know Vern Buchanan and he is obscenely wealthy.

I'm very thankful I have a good income, but there's no friggin way I want that fame from politics - just give me the $ and let me be in public in obscurely.

The company I own in part does economic forecasting -- you have NO idea how screwed we all are, and over the next couple years 'sub-prime' with be substituted for 'option-arm'.

Blame not only the 'puppet politicians' blame pure manipulative greed and those whom fund their campaigns and the lobbyists -- strings attached. We nor any 'modernized' country can compete with $0.75/hour labor. Stop SuperPac's and make lobbying illegal; anytime money/greed overrules good judgment -- we're all screwed -- big time!!!! Don't confuse Communism with Social Programs. I'll never be okay with allowing the true needy nor anyone suffer, leaders with the philosophy everyone should take care of themselves is from the Dark Ages, brutal and cruel and not the World of barbarism I enjoy living in.

The deficit acceleration root cause is/was funding wars {it's about OIL - the terrorist were from Saudi Arabia}, programs e.g. Medicare Part D {pharmaceutical industry}, you name it with borrowing instead of War taxes, Entitlement taxes, etc. I get lower taxes to a 'point' {diminishing returns} increases employment, but IF the demand isn't there there's no use in me hiring more workers regardless of taxes. Most wealthy people are paying capital gain rates. The entire tax code needs a complete redo. In essence BALANCE 'the' checkbook - it was called PayGo. The initial fix - raise import taxes (30%-50%), no multinational loop hole {if it comes in it gets taxed}, and require balanced trade agreements; this would fix unemployment in no time.

I'm stopping - I could write a book - We Think but We Know Nothing.
August 11, 2011 4:45:38 PM

preach on..
August 11, 2011 5:05:11 PM

The number #1 asset we have is the 'Intellect' of our people, the powers that be want cheap labor (ie morons). What are we going to do when we can mechanize 99% of labor? Technology is a duel edged sword.

My preach - most everyone is screwed. We the People ==> We the Corporation.
August 11, 2011 8:54:06 PM

Quote:
^ It started off with Harry Truman, so u can probably blame him for that.

Blame him? Why? For the concern of his fellows who were so dismayed that he wasn't doing well that they practically forced a retirement on him? And they had to get the personally wealthy Hoover to take it too, so Truman wouldn't feel pitied.

But at least it's taxable!

August 11, 2011 9:13:59 PM

You guys are worried about retired President's salaries, it's a tiny drop in the bucket -- factor in the millions per year per President, their family and for 10 years for the Secret Service.

BTW - most all President's have donated their salaries to charity.
August 11, 2011 10:47:32 PM

It is a tough one as these people ran the country, knew all of the secrets, handled really stressful national issues.

I think (depending on the time in office and seniority of the position) they are entitled to a salary.

Moreover, I consider they should continue to provide service for that salary, by being involved as panel members for think tanks / govt planning workshops etc ...

Get a bit of ROI for the salary.
August 11, 2011 11:39:49 PM

Yeah, I can see George W. in a think tank now. Sheesh reynod!!

They already get free security from the SS for life. I think all the corrupt deals they've made during their presidency should be able to sustain them for the rest of their lives.

I actually agree with Gulli on this one. cheers!
August 11, 2011 11:52:37 PM

they reformed the Secret Service protection rule.
August 12, 2011 12:04:10 AM

which is what.?
August 12, 2011 12:10:51 AM

Now? 10 years protection, formerly for life.

August 12, 2011 1:12:17 AM

that's somewhat of a cut back..
August 12, 2011 2:45:56 AM

...but, they still get Benjamins...
August 12, 2011 3:12:11 AM

Politicians should get payed dirt, that way we'll know for sure whether somebody is running, because they care or if they want the benefits and fame.

Also, jaquith, I agree, teachers should make more, but I'm sick and tired of the unions...a lot of teacher simply have got to go but they don't because of the unions.
August 12, 2011 3:32:20 AM

Dirt? Hell no! I'm not going to give them something useful.

Let's make them survive on the charity of their constituents.
August 12, 2011 3:43:15 AM

You mean lobbyists? Right?
August 12, 2011 3:47:44 AM

Hell no, I mean they have to find an actual individual voter of their district to give them succor.

August 12, 2011 4:28:04 AM

It was a comment of undesired response. Basically, I was responding to it as a question the related to the current stance of politics...the way they treat the almighty dollar.
August 12, 2011 7:48:31 AM

Oldmangamer_73 said:
Yeah, I can see George W. in a think tank now.

I agree with reynod on this. :o  Oh, wait. What did I say?

George Bush did it right. Like all good former presidents, he has all but faded away into obscurity.

Compare with Bill Clinton or Jimmy Carter. They are addicted to the limelight.
August 12, 2011 2:20:47 PM

@jsc - you're kidding right?!?

In the beginning I was a strong Republican until I figured-out I'm not wealthy enough to be one and I have plenty of money. If you have a company with $50M+ then yep I'd be a Republican.

Nixon, Reagan, and Bush(s) - pushing MFN {Most Favorable Nation} to China. Cheap labor - result destabilization of most industrial countries: USA & Japan.

Bush, SR - Head of CIA / later VP -> armed, funded & trained Bin Laden to get the Russian's out of Afghanistan 'Insurrection'. Then he screwed Bin Laden and left them to die. OIL
Bush, JR - 911 Bin Laden and Saudi Arabian terrorists, payback WAR in Iraq {WTHJ??!!}; created an entire region of NEW terrorists. Thousands are dead. Trillions USD unfunded aka Deficit. OIL

Carter - Invested in oil alternative research - some day if we don't burn Hydrogen will be burn algae/oil.
Clinton - PayGo and Deficit reduction policies; Bush poof - record deficit spending.

August 12, 2011 2:28:49 PM

jaquith said:
@jsc - you're kidding right?!?

In the beginning I was a strong Republican until I figured-out I'm not wealthy enough to be one and I have plenty of money. If you have a company with $50M+ then yep I'd be a Republican.

Nixon, Reagan, and Bush(s) - pushing MFN {Most Favorable Nation} to China. Cheap labor - result destabilization of most industrial countries: USA & Japan.

Bush, SR - Head of CIA / later VP -> armed, funded & trained Bin Laden to get the Russian's out of Afghanistan 'Insurrection'. Then he screwed Bin Laden and left them to die. OIL
Bush, JR - 911 Bin Laden and Saudi Arabian terrorists, payback WAR in Iraq {WTHJ??!!}; created an entire region of NEW terrorists. Thousands are dead. Trillions USD unfunded aka Deficit. OIL

Carter - Invested in oil alternative research - some day if we don't burn Hydrogen will be burn algae/oil.
Clinton - PayGo and Deficit reduction policies; Bush poof - record deficit spending.

http://obrag.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/budget_deficit_or_surplus.gif

nice info...
this is up your alley huh.?
August 12, 2011 2:29:25 PM

Quote:
^ That chart was a real eye opener :lol: 
Though I doubt most people will realize how bad the previous administration has made the economic situation and just blame Obama for everything, including the pre-election economic downturns

amen..
August 12, 2011 3:39:43 PM

Obama is okay, I really wanted Hillary to win - truth be told ;) 

People ass-u-me they understand 'how to World works' trouble is they don't.

Examples:
1. Bank bailout - say you didn't, honestly we'd be in a 'real' Global Depression, now let's say 'WE' owned a company with $50M in the 'Bank.' $40M was overhead OR we had our 401K with $300K. Now the Bank goes 'poof' and is liquidated. First NONE of our money is Federally Insured {FDIC or FSLIC}, in the sale maybe we get 25~35 cents on dollar IF the economy wasn't on a death spiral down. Best case - our business would end up in Chapter 11, we'd lay-off till we scream - we might cause more Chapter 11/13 for our suppliers, vendors, etc. Our 401K is now a 101K. This ignores to hellish others sharing our mess.

2. Automobile bailout - ~$50B in Bailout. Direct and indirect {payroll} taxes up until the crisis was $30B~$40B/year. Now if suddenly you have a Million+ people unemployed the US would have paid-out the same or more in unemployment and Federal tax loss. Look at it this way, simple, if through my actions you made $4,000 per year over decades and suddenly I faced going out of business -- would you borrow me $4,000 if the you would continue to profit $4000 per year? OR would you let me go out of business and not only lose $4,000/year but pay-out $3,000~$4,000 because I left you indirectly obligated to pay. Letting me go out of business - you'd be a moron. The Auto companies didn't cause the Global Recession.

My data. I knew about this crisis back in late 2004 and I was 100% certain in mid 2005. WHY? CPI {Consumer Price Index} If the CPI normally increases 2%~4% per year and 'costs' match no one notices and 'AFFORDABILITY' is unaffected; Income +4% - Costs +4% = 0. So how did I know 100%, history 101 - if you remember both the S&L Crisis & CA/TX Housing Crisis then you have a perfect match. During the 'Housing Bubble' {any bubble} the Housing rose at a rate of 20X CPI or 40%+/year -- unsustainable. Now factor-in a weakened economy, and (2) types of BAD LOANS: 1. Sub-Prime AND 2. Option-ARM. In an Option-ARM {7/23 or 5/25} the 'teaser rate' might be 3% and after 5 or 7 years it fixes to 9%, but you were qualified at say 5%. WTH do you do when it resets to 9%??!!

Take this Mortgage Reset Chart, in Sub-Prime add 12~15 months {Foreclosure time}, BUT now since the Banks don't want to load-up their 'Books' with LIS Pendens/NOD so the {Foreclosure time} is stretched-out to 36~48 months which takes us till 2015~2016 PLUS the time to liquidate REO {Foreclosure} OR 2016~2018. The real estate market will initially DROP another 20%~35%+ form it's current Market Values. The problem & solution is NEGATIVE EQUITY to refinance out of the OLD Option-ARM, and the solution 'may' be for the Banks to simply FIX the rate between the 'teaser rate' to 'borrower's qualified rate.' Seems simple but Investors {401K, Insurance Companies, Foreign, etc} dictate the terms NOT the banks.

THIS SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME DAILY!!!
August 12, 2011 3:51:14 PM

Obama bows down to republican pressure while Hillary I believe would stand up and not give in (as much)..
August 12, 2011 4:04:29 PM

But but Obama is the most draconian ulta-liberal in existence! That's why John Boehner only got 98% of what he wanted! That 2% is proof I tell you!

August 12, 2011 4:15:41 PM

@malmental - My 'feelings' are the same to a degree, but I also understand that she'd be faced with the same disaster. Clinton proved the myth of Supply-Side economics; scares the crap out of Republicans. Fear -> Anger! However, you cannot have an economy on the brink without stimulation. Obama knows all of {my} above, so what is he going to do lie out his a$$ or remain quite. I wish he would placate the sheep on TV.

Unfortunately, IF GNP drops or stalls then you MUST stimulate. The analogy - try starting a Diesel engine if it runs out of gas; it almost burns-out the starter and causes more damage. Think about it.

The thing that really chaps my a$$ is the Psychological Factor - the constant argumentativeness on Capital Hill only does harm to us the US and World horribly. Think of it this way - someone broadcasts in the media "The Interest Rates are going Up!". Okay, since money is a commodity - everyone runs to the bank and borrows at what they PERCEIVE is LOW {media} - that drives the demand up and supply down =====> Interest Rates 'magically' go up ;) 
August 12, 2011 4:20:01 PM

It's the classic concept of a run on a bank.

Enough people believe things will go wrong, and it becomes self-fulfilling.

August 12, 2011 4:37:28 PM

MysticMiner said:
It's the classic concept of a run on a bank.

Enough people believe things will go wrong, and it becomes self-fulfilling.

Yep!

Ditto with Republican deceptive bantering. I'm in the top tax bracket and I'm fine paying more taxes BUT ONLY for a more stable economy. Take me out of it, my father before he retired employed 10,000~15,000 people the DEMAND dictated his hiring NOT the tax rate.

The VOTES = OUTCOME. People aren't smart enough to make good decisions for themselves. They need a full blown Depression to 'learn' them. Maybe they'll figure-out they out number the head of Corporations and keep them out of controlling them. Corporation's laser focus of exploitation regardless of consequences. Every Fortune 500 CEO/President I met growing-up through my father felt that way. They'd throw a few million any day for a 100+ million in return; THE VOTE.

It's a disaster now because IMO people wanted that way, and still want more disaster to come.
August 12, 2011 8:57:38 PM

Quote:
^ That chart was a real eye opener :lol: 
Though I doubt most people will realize how bad the previous administration has made the economic situation and just blame Obama for everything, including the pre-election economic downturns

I don't blame obama for the economic recession. He inherited the recession. I do however blame him partially for not fixing it a good amount, because its now been 2.5+ years and we are still in terribly high unemployment, bigger debt, and bad recession.

However I do blame the democratic party in power for the recession, because they are responsible for it.

Saying you doubt most people will realize anything is hypocrisy, because you yourself haven't realized what happened. Part of understanding what caused the economic recession is first to accept the facts and evidence, then connect it together.
August 12, 2011 9:35:30 PM

I was telling people in 2005 that I'd be totally socked if we didn't end-up in either a US or Global Depression. So the 'Great Recession' is a real plus to me considering...

The Congress & Senate needed to use more money {Deficet Spending} for more Stimulus not some half baked 1/2 Stimulus + 1/2 Tax Breaks. Add on top of that several States refused the money!

Then Republican's criticised Obama for increasing the Deficit - making it virtually impossible for another Stimulus Package. GNP {up} = Employment {up} ; I'm thinking here Republican's have a death wish for the US economy to fail -- so they'll do the opposite of what they won't do today -- when they come in power as our 'saviors' tomorrow. This is madness for the US and World to be in this roller coaster ride.

As I said up top - if any politician takes SuperPac, etc money - they all have Corporate self interest attached.

Imagine if WE/everyone posting here own a company - our number #1 objective is profits - right?! So lets say we can produce 'GADGET X' in the USA for $400 or $200 in China -- DUH where are we going to produce it??!! Clearly, China or your off our Board {Bye - See Ya}. Our decision alone cost say 20,000 jobs. Okay, do you think we're to only ones with this 'brilliant' idea? So multiply that by say 100+ companies = 2,000,000 jobs. FIX: {see above - Taxes, Fair Trade, ie Protectionism}; IF China has a protectionism policy -- don't you think we should?! Or do you want to live like they do: 2 Cast Society, and Grass Huts aka Third World.
August 12, 2011 9:57:24 PM

Here's the thing, what if producing that gadget for 200 dollars produces one of half the quality, or worse, then the image of the company can go down.

But yes, I agree, many companies do operate on a profits-first basis. Not all. Some are oriented differently, much like different people have different priorities. This is why the government, which does not, and should not, operate on the same base as a commercial company, may need to stand up for the people as a whole.

August 12, 2011 10:11:45 PM

You also forget to mention that their healthcare is covered for the rest of their lives too
and you better believe they don't settle for the average doctors either. If I am not mistaken this also covers their immediate family for the rest of their lives too.
August 12, 2011 10:16:47 PM

Hmm...quality...ever looked at the back of your iPhone!? Pretty damn good quality.

Since China's Most Favorable Nation status the numbers indicate 10,000,000+ in jobs lost, just since 2001-2008 "Bush, JR" 2,400,000 jobs gone to China.

On the flip-side you ever hear of 'Chinese Drywall' Billions of dollars in damages. So are the Drywall companies paying-out anything in damages, are the out of business, is there a class-action law suit? NO. Those companies are owned, protected, and in full business - they're own by the People's Republic of China. Care to sue the China government - what's your chances of winning.

People are fools, companies are greedy, and life's not fair - facts of life. It's going to take a catastrophe to change.
August 13, 2011 3:01:48 AM

moderator, SPAM..
August 13, 2011 3:10:59 AM

Yeah my third post and counting with same spammer :fou: 
August 13, 2011 3:31:55 AM

Who is spamming you jaquith?
August 13, 2011 3:49:39 AM

@dsfgwegwe - all their posts are deleted now.
August 13, 2011 9:31:22 AM

The chart suggest Clinton did a great job.

How did he do it then?
August 13, 2011 2:00:24 PM

Then I prescribe BJ's & Cigars for all Presidents, it seemed to also work well for JFK :p 
August 13, 2011 2:54:06 PM

JFK at least had better taste ... MM was 10 times prettier than that chubby frump.
August 13, 2011 3:11:01 PM

Worst Arnold's OMG FUG! There's not enough alcohol or drugs...

Certainly neither has a AAA rating in taste. JFK had AAAAA+++
August 13, 2011 3:40:21 PM

Cigar in wrong orifice, a little further South ;) 
August 13, 2011 3:59:16 PM

you guys are fools...
LOL
August 13, 2011 7:43:53 PM

Cigar in [u said:
wrong orifice, a little further South]Cigar in wrong orifice, a little further South
[/u]
Definition of "Orifice" - an opening (as a vent, mouth, or hole - aka VJJ) through which something may pass.

Cigar {search for "Cigar"} -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monica_Lewinsky

NOW you get it?!
August 13, 2011 9:19:10 PM

Quote:
Probably should pay Bill clinton less to avoid more pregnant teens , huh ?
:lol: 
or u should just get Hillary plastic surgery

ACTUALLY, WHEN MR CLINTON LEFT OFFICE AS PRESIDENT, WE WERE NOT IN A DEFICIT AT ALL , IN FACT WE WERE IN THE PLUS + , IT WAS WHEN MR BUSH TOOK OVER AS PRESIDENT IS WHEN THE DEFICITS STARTED AND WE WENT STRAIGHT INTO AN OBLIVION OF DEBT OVER HIS TERMS OF PRESIDENCY. SO YOU CAN SAY WHAT YOU WANT ABOUT MR CLINTON BUT HE KNEW HOW TO KEEP US OUT OF DEBT AND WE STAYED OUT OF DEBT ALL DURING HIS PRESIDENCY...
August 13, 2011 9:27:09 PM

Quote:
YOU CAN SAY WHAT YOU WANT ABOUT MR CLINTON BUT HE KNEW HOW TO KEEP US OUT OF DEBT

Failed to mention Clinton's failed foreign policy was directly responsible for the war in Iraq.

Important Reminder: Your Caps Lock is locked on.

August 13, 2011 9:29:35 PM

Quote:
Probably should pay Bill clinton less to avoid more pregnant teens , huh ?
:lol: 
or u should just get Hillary plastic surgery

ACTUALLY, WHEN MR. CLINTON WAS IN OFFICE AS OUR PRESIDENT WE HAD NO DEFICIT . IN FACT WE WERE IN THE + . IT WAS WHEN MR BUSH TOOK OVER AS PRESIDENT THAT WE WENT FROM HAVING A + MARGIN TO ACQUIRING WHAT IS NOW THE BIGGEST DEFICIT OF ALL . IN HIS YEARS OF OFFICE MR. BUSH HAS SUCCESSFULLY LED OUR COUNTRY INTO A DOWNWARD SPIRAL OF DEFICITS , WHILE ENABLING THE RICH TO GET RICHER AND THE POOR REMAINING POOR OR EVEN POORER. AND NOW LOOK AT OUR DEFICIT . AND IF YOU THINK I AM WRONG LOOK IT UP FROM WHEN MR CLINTON RAN OUR COUNTRY AND FROM WHEN MR BUSH TOOK OVER AND OVER RAN OUR COUNTRY. IT IS THERE IN FINE INK .
August 14, 2011 9:14:14 PM

This is as entertaining and as enlightening a thread as I have read in a while. Interesting take on things folks.
!