Dell XP Reinstallation CD

How is it different from a native XP CD? I want to reinstall XP without all
the extra stuff that Dell put on the pre-built machine. What is the
difference? There seems to be a Dell cab file in an OEM directory on the CD.
What is this?
16 answers Last reply
More about dell reinstallation

    It will install a clean copy of XP. Nothing else. The Dell folder adds any
    OS updates available at the time the CD was made.

    "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > How is it different from a native XP CD? I want to reinstall XP without
    > all
    > the extra stuff that Dell put on the pre-built machine. What is the
    > difference? There seems to be a Dell cab file in an OEM directory on the
    > CD.
    > What is this?

    Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall being
    provided one in the CD's that came with the system.

    Billy wrote:

    > Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall being
    > provided one in the CD's that came with the system.

    You don't need either. The CD is tied to the Dell BIOS and will
    recognize it when you install.

    Bob

    Bob,
    Will flashing the BIOS at a later point create a problem with
    re-installing XP.
    Paul

    "Bob Levine" <robjlevin.nospan@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Billy wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall
    >> being
    >> provided one in the CD's that came with the system.
    >
    > You don't need either. The CD is tied to the Dell BIOS and will recognize
    > it when you install.
    >
    > Bob

    "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote:

    >Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall being
    >provided one in the CD's that came with the system.

    Did you look at your computer case? Generally, beside/below the
    sticker with your Dell Service Tag and Express Service Code
    numbers there is another sticker, this one the MS Certificate of
    Authenticity that has the key code for your XP OS.
    --
    OJ III

    Apparently, _Ogden Johnson III_, on 19/11/04 16:16,typed:
    > "Billy" <nospam@comcast.net> wrote:
    >

    >>Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall being
    >>provided one in the CD's that came with the system.
    >

    > Did you look at your computer case? Generally, beside/below the
    > sticker with your Dell Service Tag and Express Service Code
    > numbers there is another sticker, this one the MS Certificate of
    > Authenticity that has the key code for your XP OS.

    Just a little question, I got a Dell computer from somebody (who bought
    a new one and wanted to give away the older Dell). Of the bunch of CD's
    that the guy gave, the XP Home CD is scratched or something and recently
    when I tried to reisntall the OS, the install process hanged. I also
    tried reading the CD, it hangs there as well.

    Now, would the XP-Home CD that came with a Dell Laptop work in the
    desktop with the desktop's key?

    "H. S." wrote:
    > Just a little question, I got a Dell computer from somebody (who bought
    > a new one and wanted to give away the older Dell). Of the bunch of CD's
    > that the guy gave, the XP Home CD is scratched or something and recently
    > when I tried to reisntall the OS, the install process hanged. I also
    > tried reading the CD, it hangs there as well.
    >
    > Now, would the XP-Home CD that came with a Dell Laptop work in the
    > desktop with the desktop's key?

    If you try it, please post your results here.

    *TimDaniels*

    The laptop disk should just fine. Just use the desktop's key.
    The CDs only look for a Dell BIOS.

    Bob Levine wrote:

    > Billy wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks. How do I activate the CD, and do I need a key? I don't recall
    >> being
    >> provided one in the CD's that came with the system.
    >
    > You don't need either. The CD is tied to the Dell BIOS and will
    > recognize it when you install.

    True. You can also use the Dell CD to install XP on a non Dell computer,
    but then you'll need a COA.

    Been there, done that, because IBM hasn't been able to send me working
    recovery CDs for my ThinkPad.

    No, didn't even think about it. I'll take a look, but it is the laptop that
    I purchased the s/w with, so I think I will not need it as the other poster
    said. Thanks everyone!

    Paul Schilter wrote:

    > Bob,
    > Will flashing the BIOS at a later point create a problem with
    > re-installing XP.
    > Paul

    It shouldn't.

    Bob

    Hello,

    What you have is a OEM copy of Windows XP from Dell.

    This CD will install XP on any computer provided you have the COA (Little
    sticker that is attached to the Dell Computer that it came with)

    The thing about the OEM software is that individuals looking to buy a LEGAL
    copy of XP are better off buying OEM as you can get it much cheaper versus
    the full retail price

    Full Retail approx - $198.00
    OEM - $59 to $79.00

    OEM sales are legal as long as they are sold with a qualifying piece of
    hardware (harddrive, etc) AND the COA that was attached to the original
    computer.

    The original installation of the OEM software has to be removed from the
    original system, etc.

    Do a search on Ebay (Ebay stores too) for XP HOME and you will find several
    copies being LEGALLY sold for MUCH cheaper than the retail jacked up price.

    --
    JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
    Technical Support Team

    Visit our forums for FREE technical support at
    http://jlaenterprises.ath.cx/phpbb2/index.php

    Check out some of the items we are offering
    Dell Laptop Docking Stations starting at $5.00
    Dell 20" Sony Trinitron Flat Screen Monitors starting at $35.00
    Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
    Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

    Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

    "JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION" wrote:

    > What you have is a OEM copy of Windows XP from Dell.
    >
    > This CD will install XP on any computer provided you have the
    > COA (Little sticker that is attached to the Dell Computer that
    > it came with)
    >
    > The thing about the OEM software is that individuals looking
    > to buy a LEGAL copy of XP are better off buying OEM as you
    > can get it much cheaper versus the full retail price
    >
    > Full Retail approx - $198.00
    > OEM - $59 to $79.00
    >
    > OEM sales are legal as long as they are sold with a qualifying
    > piece of hardware (harddrive, etc) AND the COA that was
    > attached to the original computer.
    >
    > The original installation of the OEM software has to be
    > removed from the original system, etc.
    >
    > Do a search on Ebay (Ebay stores too) for XP HOME and
    > you will find several copies being LEGALLY sold for MUCH
    > cheaper than the retail jacked up price.

    What does "COA" stand for?

    I presume you mean to say that one must know the sequence
    of alphanumeric characters printed on the sticky label. What
    does one do with those characters or "serial number"?

    Can one (as opposed to "may" one) install an OEM operating
    system on more than one PC sequentially if the installs are
    more than 120 days apart?

    *TimDaniels*

    > What does "COA" stand for?
    >
    > I presume you mean to say that one must know the sequence
    > of alphanumeric characters printed on the sticky label. What
    > does one do with those characters or "serial number"?
    >
    > Can one (as opposed to "may" one) install an OEM operating
    > system on more than one PC sequentially if the installs are
    > more than 120 days apart?

    COA stands for Certificate of Authenticity.

    DELL OEM Win XP searches for BIOS.

    You can install an OEM CD on as many computers as you like, provided that you
    have a unique and never-used COA for each... Ben Myers

    Timothy Daniels wrote:
    > "H. S." wrote:
    >
    >> Just a little question, I got a Dell computer from somebody (who
    >> bought a new one and wanted to give away the older Dell). Of the bunch
    >> of CD's that the guy gave, the XP Home CD is scratched or something
    >> and recently when I tried to reisntall the OS, the install process
    >> hanged. I also tried reading the CD, it hangs there as well.
    >>
    >> Now, would the XP-Home CD that came with a Dell Laptop work in the
    >> desktop with the desktop's key?
    >

    > If you try it, please post your results here.
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I tried once again using the Dell's Windows XP home edition cd to
    reinstall Windows on the Dell desktop. It hung up apparently due to
    scratches on the Dell Windows XP CD. So I just used the XP Home edition
    CD that came with my wife's laptop and it worked.

    --
    (Remove all underscores,if any, from my email address to get the correct
    one. Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to reduce spam.)

Dell Windows XP CD-Rom Computers