Worried! How hot is this for my 2200+

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
I recently bought a 2200+ and I used a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ and Arctic Silver III on it...I mostly use my PC on games like CS, UT2003 and WC3...There are times when my PC hangs after about 1 hour of playing CS...I suspected it was the CPU that I may have installed or had the fan settings wrong...what I did was after it crashed I immidiately restarted windows xp and checked the BIOS health window and it reported that my 2200+ was 61 degrees hot!!! that's hot right? 60 is like warning already right?

anyway I have my Volcano 7+ set to medium because high setting jsut made the noise of the fan interrupt with the sounds from the game...even wearing headphones you'd still hear the fan a bit...I haven't tested yet if CS will hang if I put the fan setting to high...what's makes me wonder is I spend also more than 1 hour on UT2003 but it never hangs...could it be CS files got corrupt somehow?

disregarding everything said above I just want to know if 60 degrees CPU temp is too high for just gaming? What temp should a 2200+ be at on idle and on gaming conditions.

chris_m

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
Don't worry it's not too hot at all!!! AMD states that 60-65 Celsius are normal!
I run the 2200+ on an ASUS A7V333 with 256MB RAM and my idle temp. is between 53-55 celsius. I have a Titan cooler with alu heatsink, but I am planning to get the Cooler Master HHC-L61 with copper heatsink and heat pipe!
So I don't think you have to worry!
chris

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm. im thinking its not likely to be cpu temp as it tends to rise quickly and settle at some rough temp, within a matter of 5 to 10 minutes, not an hour.

just to make sure its not the cpu, download prime95 and run its torture test, while watching your CPU temps.

P.S. software monitoring of system temps can be decidedly unreliable, depend on what package you use. One of the better ones is Motherboard Monitor 5.200

if its not cpu temp it could be anything, corrupted files, conflicts, graphics card overheat, memory errors, u name it

<b>I'm Toms Hardware Guide Official Forum Strumpet! :cool: </b>

NEUTRALITY

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
Here's another option you might wanna follow if you don't like strumpet's answer. What kind of video card are you using and how's your airflow around it. I could pretty much count on all of my directx8 games freezing after 5 minutes until I put a case fan next to my video card turned around so that cool air would be brought into the case and blow on the backside of the video card. I blamed my video card memory for getting really hot...it was located on the backside of the board. For reference I use an ati aiw radeon 8500dv. These 8500's have really crappy coolers. You can also try one of these slot fans that fit in your expansion slots and stick it next to, or 2 slots away from your video card as most video cards say that the space next to the video card's fan is supposed to be free.

Man, I typed a lot. But I'm just trying to help.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Im thinking though that the easiest thing to do is to reinstall CS, and install the latest patches. see if that helps.

<b>I'm Toms Hardware Guide Official Forum Strumpet! :cool: </b>