Need Suggestions: Laptop for Blu-Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWAT

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2005
Hello, my girlfriend's dad is looking for a new laptop, of which I know nothing, so I asked him to answer the standard set of questions. It seems to me like it doesn't need to do anything more complicated than play Blu-rays. Can anyone offer up any suggestions? Thanks!

1. What is your budget?

(Around $800.00)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

(17+ inch screen)

3. What screen resolution do you want?

(I would like to view dvd's and blue rays on it so whatever is recommended for this)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

(Portable)

5. How much battery life do you need?

(Not sure what the choices are but it would be stationary most of the time using ac)

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

(No games)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

(Photo, Music tasks such as ITunes, as prevoiusly mentioned dvd & blue ray viewing)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

(I was thinking a minimum of 500G - that is what the desktop has.)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

(Amazon.ca, ITunes)

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

(Soon to be retired so as long as possible)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

(Bluray ROM if cost is feasible)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

(Prefer HP, Toshiba - don't like Acer, heard bad things)

13. What country do you live in?

(Canada)

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

(Will also use it to manage finances, on-line banking etc.)

The Asus would be a good choice.
But a I3-2330M would be about $100 cheaper and for intended use would not see a difference in watch a Blu-ray move. Blu-ray in requirements are not that high. I can play blueray on my C2D and intergrated GPU - The I3-2330m is a much higher performance laptop than mine. Altho I also recently bought a i5-2510M that came with Blu-ray (A Samsung RF711-S01)

Might check out both would meet your needs (Asus slightly higher reliability - But have two OLDER Toshibas both with bluray that work great. They did not come with blu-ray, had to replace the drive my self - Easy - on screw pop old one out stick new one in Cost $100, but then also have to buy the software ($65->$90)

These two have blu-ray Rom/DVD-RW drives and are I3-2330M. Did not check Ca availability.
Toshiba L775-S7350, I3 2330M (Newegg price $700)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214472
@ $600 L775-S7240 (Out of stock @ newegg.com)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214407

Status
Not open for further replies.