grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
life sucks, school sucks, and now that my pc broke down its even worse. Can anybody help me out here? my pc is a modified dell system. I have a celeron 1400mhz processor (slot 1 -> socket 370 using a powerleap adapter). intel se440bx-3 motherboard, 384 of pc100 ram, sb live value , radeon 8500LE 128mb, ibm 25gb hd. My computer keeps on crashing/freezing every day or 2 and when i restart
i wont do anything. the computer would be on but nothing would happen, the monitor wont even be on, after i leave it alone for like a few hours then it would start working again, but then it would crash again in a day. anybody knows whats the problem. i dont know for sure if its overheating but i dont think it is (i havent overclocked anything yet) and i tried to replug everything back in and again and it doesnt work. PLZ help, i need my comp for games, work and internet...this is pissing me off... holla to all my old tomshardware buddies (crash, chuck, lhgpoo, etc... sorry i havent been posting lately but hs senior year takes a lot of my time) thanks

--------------------------------------------------
My computer is so fast it proves the theory of relativity wrong... :eek:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Odds are that the original system had a 120W-220W powersupply. If you haven't upgraded it, that would be the first place I would look.

Have you added anything new lately, or all of it lately, to make things go haywire?

What about drivers? Have you checked the device manager?

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah. i second dhlucke in saying that i believe the PSU may be on the fritz.
damn underpowered propritary dell poot.
so if its a dell PSU & motherboard then the replacment PSU also has to be dell, as dell bits arnt really ATX compatible.

<b>I'm Toms Hardware Guide Official Forum Strumpet! :cool: </b>

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
but it has been workin fine for almost 2 months since my last and only upgrade (powerleap celeron and radeon8500le 128mb), it only started acting up like 4 days ago. are u guys sure about this?

btw my power supply is dell NPS-200PB-73M so i guess that 200 means 200 watts

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Maybe the PSU has been on the limit, and lately has become unstable. After 2 months of running at its top capabilities ...

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well no, not unless we can get our hands on it, but bootup and stable running problems inevitably end up being the motherboard or the powersupply.

and yes, things can just happen. bits wear out, power supplies suddenly die, or they fade away cauzing random grief.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
well no, not unless we can get our hands on it, but bootup and stable running problems inevitably end up being the motherboard or the powersupply.

and yes, things can just happen. bits wear out, power supplies suddenly die, or they fade away cauzing random grief.

Its possible the added load of your last upgrade hastened the end.

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
I have a celeron 1400mhz processor (slot 1 -> socket 370 using a powerleap adapter).
My bet is on the Powerleap adapter. Last week my PL-370/T mysteriously died after five days of working fine. Actually, on the fourth night it crashed without explanation while loading Windows. On the fifth night, the computer refused to even boot (no beep, totally dead except for fans and drives). I posted about it <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">here.</A>

I had it diagnosed and sure enough, it was the Powerleap adapter. I'm in the process of returning it and getting another one, because it's the only way I can get this damn Tualatin to work on my 440BX mobo. The other option is the similar product by Upgradeware that THG did a review on several days ago. If my next Powerleap dies again, I'm ditching them and trying Upgradeware.

Ritesh

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I agree that it sounds like the power supply. If you haven't done so yet, try a can of compressed air and blow the crap out of that power supply. It <i>might</i> only be dust... Then again, 200W might need an upgrade.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

ritesh_laud

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001
Just curious, is the any PCI to ISA converter adapter?
I've looked on the Internet for such a device and have found nada. In fact, I've found explanations of why it's physically impossible. So I assume there aren't any such products out there. It would have to consist of a chip (a PCI-ISA Bridge chip) that interfaces with the South Bridge on your chipset. I don't see how this can be done with something sitting on a PCI slot.

Ritesh

grassapa

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
neutrality, shut the fuk up if u have nothing useful to say.
if i was admin, your bandwidth-takin-ass would be gone in a spiff.

ritesh...maybe its not my powerleap adapter because sometimes my computer does boot up, sometimes doesnt. sometimes when it freezes, my computer gives me this neverending BEEEEEEP sound out my speakers. my piece of sh!t is pissin me off....i wish i knew what to do. maybe ill just have to end up buying a cheap 300 watt psu.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Don't put an ATX power supply in a Dell machine. The Dell power supplies use the same ATX style connector but the pinouts are different.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>