Sign in with
Your question

system question

Last response: in Applications
March 18, 2003 3:47:04 PM

I am going to start to get into video-editing and had a question about minimum system requirements. I have to build from scratch because I have an AMD K2-300 and 64 Megs of RAM.
Since prices are pretty low, I will probably end up with an AMD 2.0 GHz machine.
Will Intel CPUs produce less frame drops?
Does it make much difference whether the RAM is 2100, 2700 or 3200? When I ask difference, I am stricly speaking of frame drop and quality not time.
How much RAM should I get?

Thank you in advance for your help.

<b> Hey, I always notice that bored look in their eyes. </b> :redface:

More about : system question

March 19, 2003 12:49:02 AM

AMD 2.0GHz is fine for video editing. Don't be brainwashed by the myth that Intel CPUs are superior than AMD when it comes to video editing. That's just not true. Also the speed of DDR RAMs won't affect the quality or frame drop. It's the amount of memory that matters. Get at least 512MB of memory.

Frame drop is usually caused by hard disk, which is the slowest part of the system. It happens when hard disk is not fast enough to store the incoming stream of video during capture. So it's a good idea to defrag your HD and close all other running programs before you capture videos.

Any of the today's hard disks (at least 5400rpm) should be fine for video capturing/editing. If you're really worry about frame drop, you may consider raid 0 setup.
March 19, 2003 2:13:51 PM

Thank you for your honest reply. I have seen too many replies, in other groups, that are obviously from fan-boys. I didn't even think of the harddrive, but I have been looking at 7200 RPM drives with 8 Megs of cache.

<b> Hey, I always notice that bored look in their eyes. </b> :redface:
Related resources
March 22, 2003 8:20:52 PM

Here's the scoop as i'm getting into video editing myself and have experience for what it's worth.

AMD or Intel is fine as long as the Intel cpu is beyond 2ghz. AMD i would say around 2000+ which i think is 1.67ghz i think. Anything below that is unacceptible.

The 3 big things you NEED for video editing well four. Fast processor, lots of ram, fast hard drive, and lots of hard drive space.

so i recommend this from experience ...

-Intel 2ghz or amd 2000+ or greater. Anything more is better.
-512MB of RAM or more. No less!
-Nothing less then a 7200RPM harddrive. It MUST be 7200RPM or more
-At least a 120GB Hard drive. You gotta take into consideration for other programs, games, and your video editing software and your large files. Files can get as big as 7GB. So you NEED windows 2000 or windows XP with NTFS file system.

From experence you should get the fastest RAM Available either DDR-SDRAM or RDRAM for future upgrades.

If you can for DDR, go dual Channel DDR.

those are the 4 main things you need. ALong with software. And Pinnical Studio 8 seems pretty good. Ulead Video studio 6 is good, i think 7 is out now. good luck!

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
!