XP product key on new Dell?

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have the obligatory Dell COA/product key on my new Dimension 8400.

However, if I run Aida32 or Everest, the product key reported is
different from the one on my case.

Makes something of a mockery of Microsoft's anti-piracy stance surely?
9 answers Last reply
More about product dell
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Not necessarily. The Dell systems are imaged from a master image. You'll
    probably never need the product key on the side of the system at all - if
    you do a clean install (where still possible; Dell has begun ceasing
    shipping a true XP install CD with new systems), you would not need a
    product key at all.

    Effectively, Microsoft is removing XP CDs of this type from circulation with
    OEM computers - none of the majors now ship true OS CDs with their newer
    systems. That includes eMachines/Gateway, HP/Compaq, and now Dell.


    "Alex Flaherty" <vanessa.savage@webtribe.net> wrote in message
    news:8fe7dc43.0411200659.6a9baed6@posting.google.com...
    >I have the obligatory Dell COA/product key on my new Dimension 8400.
    >
    > However, if I run Aida32 or Everest, the product key reported is
    > different from the one on my case.
    >
    > Makes something of a mockery of Microsoft's anti-piracy stance surely?
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Apparently, _Edward J. Neth_, on 20/11/04 11:41,typed:
    > Not necessarily. The Dell systems are imaged from a master image. You'll
    > probably never need the product key on the side of the system at all - if
    > you do a clean install (where still possible; Dell has begun ceasing
    > shipping a true XP install CD with new systems), you would not need a
    > product key at all.
    >
    > Effectively, Microsoft is removing XP CDs of this type from circulation with
    > OEM computers - none of the majors now ship true OS CDs with their newer
    > systems. That includes eMachines/Gateway, HP/Compaq, and now Dell.


    er .. if I am I paying for "OS: Windows XP Home edition", don't I have a
    right to the OS installation CD?


    ->HS
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    For an OEM version wqith a new computer, MS only requires that some
    method be provided to let you restore the OS and applications as
    originally preinstalled.


    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:51:18 -0500, "H. S."
    <g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Apparently, _Edward J. Neth_, on 20/11/04 11:41,typed:
    >> Not necessarily. The Dell systems are imaged from a master image. You'll
    >> probably never need the product key on the side of the system at all - if
    >> you do a clean install (where still possible; Dell has begun ceasing
    >> shipping a true XP install CD with new systems), you would not need a
    >> product key at all.
    >>
    >> Effectively, Microsoft is removing XP CDs of this type from circulation with
    >> OEM computers - none of the majors now ship true OS CDs with their newer
    >> systems. That includes eMachines/Gateway, HP/Compaq, and now Dell.
    >
    >
    >er .. if I am I paying for "OS: Windows XP Home edition", don't I have a
    >right to the OS installation CD?
    >
    >
    >->HS
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Techically, no, since you're not the licensee - Dell is. I suspect a couple
    of things are at work:

    First, the installation and configuration of Windows has gone beyond what
    the average PC user can handle, at least without a lot of (expensive for
    Dell) handholding by technical support. Microsoft allows one method of
    backup to ship with the PC - and Dell chose the easier one to support (i.e.,
    customer presses a key at boot, starts up a recovery and within minutes the
    system is restored). It is very likely that Dell saves money by not
    shipping media at all, and would have to pay MS twice were it to ship both a
    recovery method and an OS CD.

    A ground-up installation of Windows XP, fully patching it, reinstalling apps
    and patching them, and installing drivers takes at best a few hours of work
    now - Dell can't maintain the margins it needs for its shareholders if it
    has to walk even a small percentage of its customers through that procedure.

    No, the system isn't ideal for an experience PC user - nor is it good for
    anyone who wants to customize the system - but remember that a fully
    configured Dell, Gateway etc., PC used to come with a full version of Office
    as standard equipment - now if you want it, you have to pay for it.
    Microsoft is likely taking the same tack with the operating system. The
    strategy is not without risk - revenues from Office are falling -- partly
    because people don't need the added features, of, say, Office 2K3 over
    Office XP -- and no doubt partially because there are at least a few
    alternatives available at low or no cost, which will serve the software
    needs of a significant proportion of users. It may just be that some people
    decide that paying an extra $100 or more for a full copy of Windows, isn't
    worth the cost - and decide to try an alternative operating system.

    Dell is clearly not out to serve the enthusiast market - a market that is
    becoming more and more accessible to people each day - now that you can buy
    fundamental PC parts like power supplies, fans, mainboard, and cases as
    close by as your nearest Staples, Circuit City or Best Buy.


    "H. S." <g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:hCKnd.36905$rc.2350456@news20.bellglobal.com...

    > er .. if I am I paying for "OS: Windows XP Home edition", don't I have a
    > right to the OS installation CD?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    In other words, Micro$oft imposes great hardship on end-users who need to reload
    the OS somehow, all in the guise of reducing software piracy. Consider the case
    where the computer's hard drive croaks and you need to reinstall the OS. What
    next? You have to get yourself a copy of the OS CD, either from someone who
    will copy theirs, or buying one at retail. Ka-ching! goes the Micro$oft money
    machine.

    Before anyone slams me for Microsoft bashing... Yes! I am bashing Microsoft. I
    admit it. Guilty as charged. So save yourself the energy and don't bother
    commenting in this regard... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:38:53 -0500, Jerome M. Katz <jerrymkatz@NOSPAM@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >For an OEM version wqith a new computer, MS only requires that some
    >method be provided to let you restore the OS and applications as
    >originally preinstalled.
    >
    >
    >On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:51:18 -0500, "H. S."
    ><g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Apparently, _Edward J. Neth_, on 20/11/04 11:41,typed:
    >>> Not necessarily. The Dell systems are imaged from a master image. You'll
    >>> probably never need the product key on the side of the system at all - if
    >>> you do a clean install (where still possible; Dell has begun ceasing
    >>> shipping a true XP install CD with new systems), you would not need a
    >>> product key at all.
    >>>
    >>> Effectively, Microsoft is removing XP CDs of this type from circulation with
    >>> OEM computers - none of the majors now ship true OS CDs with their newer
    >>> systems. That includes eMachines/Gateway, HP/Compaq, and now Dell.
    >>
    >>
    >>er .. if I am I paying for "OS: Windows XP Home edition", don't I have a
    >>right to the OS installation CD?
    >>
    >>
    >>->HS
    >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.net> wrote in message
    news:309abcF2uc33vU1@uni-berlin.de...
    > Not necessarily. The Dell systems are imaged from a master image. You'll
    > probably never need the product key on the side of the system at all - if
    > you do a clean install (where still possible; Dell has begun ceasing
    > shipping a true XP install CD with new systems), you would not need a
    > product key at all.
    >

    FWIW, my 8400 arrived on Thursday complete with an XPSP2 Home CD so (here in
    the UK at least) the cessation of shipping OS CDs hasn't begun yet.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    This is what I wrote about a couple of weeks ago...The recovery only cd
    image. I called Gateway and they assured me they are still sending the os
    cd. IF by chance they don't, I agree about using a "pirated copy".
    I know they were tying it to the bios of the computer...no problem, but at
    least let us have the os disk. I think in the long run, there will be many
    more pirated cd's rather than fewer.

    <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    news:419f8379.9173668@nntp.charter.net...
    > In other words, Micro$oft imposes great hardship on end-users who need to
    > reload
    > the OS somehow, all in the guise of reducing software piracy. Consider
    > the case
    > where the computer's hard drive croaks and you need to reinstall the OS.
    > What
    > next? You have to get yourself a copy of the OS CD, either from someone
    > who
    > will copy theirs, or buying one at retail. Ka-ching! goes the Micro$oft
    > money
    > machine.
    >
    > Before anyone slams me for Microsoft bashing... Yes! I am bashing
    > Microsoft. I
    > admit it. Guilty as charged. So save yourself the energy and don't
    > bother
    > commenting in this regard... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 12:38:53 -0500, Jerome M. Katz
    > <jerrymkatz@NOSPAM@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>For an OEM version wqith a new computer, MS only requires that some
    >>method be provided to let you restore the OS and applications as
    >>originally preinstalled.
    >>
    >>
    >>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 11:51:18 -0500, "H. S."
    >><g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Apparently, _Edward J. Neth_, on 20/11/04 11:41,typed:
    >>>> Not necessarily. The Dell systems are imaged from a master image.
    >>>> You'll
    >>>> probably never need the product key on the side of the system at all -
    >>>> if
    >>>> you do a clean install (where still possible; Dell has begun ceasing
    >>>> shipping a true XP install CD with new systems), you would not need a
    >>>> product key at all.
    >>>>
    >>>> Effectively, Microsoft is removing XP CDs of this type from circulation
    >>>> with
    >>>> OEM computers - none of the majors now ship true OS CDs with their
    >>>> newer
    >>>> systems. That includes eMachines/Gateway, HP/Compaq, and now Dell.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>er .. if I am I paying for "OS: Windows XP Home edition", don't I have a
    >>>right to the OS installation CD?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>->HS
    >>
    >
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    computer user wrote:
    > This is what I wrote about a couple of weeks ago...The recovery only cd
    > image. I called Gateway and they assured me they are still sending the os
    > cd. IF by chance they don't, I agree about using a "pirated copy".
    > I know they were tying it to the bios of the computer...no problem, but at
    > least let us have the os disk. I think in the long run, there will be many
    > more pirated cd's rather than fewer.

    Sometimes I feel that is something what MS wants - or at least doesn't
    work hard to prevent. I am sure they can stop piracy with vigor ... only
    if they want to. But fighting privacy ernestly would mean decrease in
    popularit of MS OS.


    ->HS


    --
    (Remove all underscores,if any, from my email address to get the correct
    one. Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to reduce spam.)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Microsoft is doing quite well at cutting down software piracy already, thank
    you. Their product authentication scheme is much more effective compared to any
    earlier COA validation alone... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 16:10:03 GMT, "H. S." <g_reate_xcalibur@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >computer user wrote:
    >> This is what I wrote about a couple of weeks ago...The recovery only cd
    >> image. I called Gateway and they assured me they are still sending the os
    >> cd. IF by chance they don't, I agree about using a "pirated copy".
    >> I know they were tying it to the bios of the computer...no problem, but at
    >> least let us have the os disk. I think in the long run, there will be many
    >> more pirated cd's rather than fewer.
    >
    >Sometimes I feel that is something what MS wants - or at least doesn't
    >work hard to prevent. I am sure they can stop piracy with vigor ... only
    >if they want to. But fighting privacy ernestly would mean decrease in
    >popularit of MS OS.
    >
    >
    >
    >->HS
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >(Remove all underscores,if any, from my email address to get the correct
    >one. Apologies for the inconvenience but this is to reduce spam.)
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Windows XP Computers