Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Will windows 7 64 bit and XP 32 bit dual boot

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
June 3, 2010 9:19:57 PM

Hello,
I have windows 7 64 bit running and need to dual boot XP 32 bit due to my Pitney Bowes LPS-1 thermal shipping label printer only has drivers upto XP 32 bit. I created a 3 Gig partition on the same drive as my Windows 7 64 bit (Volume Label "C")OS and gave it a volume label of "B". But everytime I put the XP disc in and try to load OS it will get to the point where it loads the drivers and when it says starting windows for install it gives me the blue screen of death. Ant Ideas?
a c 255 $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 9:31:07 PM

Can you do it? Yes. You did not have to setup the "B drive" the way you did because XP (in your case) will see that as its C drive when installed. Regardless, the following link (there are many such) should point you in the right direction. Good luck!

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-ins...
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 10:54:34 PM

Hmm if you have working drivers for the software regardless of 32 / 64 bit it should still work on Windows 7.

PB's website shows the printer will work with Windows 98 / ME / 2000 / XP - Windows 7 can me be made to run in XP Compatability mode so I cant see why you have a driver issue.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 11:10:54 PM

Yes, I think as long as your system is equipped to run 64-bit, and you install Windows 7 64-bit on a separate partition you should be able to dual boot the two. The Seven Forums tutorial that COLGeek will be very helpful to you.

Let us know what happens!
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 11:14:58 PM

digistyle said:
Hello,
I have windows 7 64 bit running and need to dual boot XP 32 bit due to my Pitney Bowes LPS-1 thermal shipping label printer only has drivers upto XP 32 bit. I created a 3 Gig partition on the same drive as my Windows 7 64 bit (Volume Label "C")OS and gave it a volume label of "B". But everytime I put the XP disc in and try to load OS it will get to the point where it loads the drivers and when it says starting windows for install it gives me the blue screen of death. Ant Ideas?

If your bios uses sata in other than ide mode, then you need to supply appropriate drivers via a floppy disk
m
0
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 3, 2010 11:59:34 PM

Before you get into the dual booting scenario, you might want to consider using Windows XP Mode as a means to using your label printer. If you have Windows 7 Professional or higher, click here to go to the Windows XP Mode download page. This may be a more effective solution.
m
0
l
June 4, 2010 12:11:27 AM

If you don't have a XP mode compatible Windows 7, you can download VirtualPC 2007, and install with your Windows XP disk.

I used this method when I upgraded to & and my scanner would not work as no drivers were available. A virtual machine with shared folder did the trick for me.


Sun VirtualBox would do the same than Virtual PC.
m
0
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
June 4, 2010 1:48:22 AM

pat said:
If you don't have a XP mode compatible Windows 7, you can download VirtualPC 2007, and install with your Windows XP disk.

I used this method when I upgraded to & and my scanner would not work as no drivers were available. A virtual machine with shared folder did the trick for me.


Sun VirtualBox would do the same than Virtual PC.


Good point. VMware Player 3.1 is another good option. Link goes to FileHippo, as downloading directly from the VMware website requires you to create an account first.
m
0
l
June 4, 2010 10:32:46 PM

Hello digistyle,

For the actual Windows 7 and XP -Yes you can "multiboot" to Windows XP and Windows 7. *(After installing Windows 7, default Windows 7 is selected and that will be the primary choice for booting to Windows 7).
See the following detailed instructions on the Microsoft website:
http://tinyurl.com/ycqbde4
Essentially, these are the important steps to pay attention to:
"On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.
On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, select the partition or disk where you want to install the new Windows operating system.
Be sure to install Windows on a different partition from the one where the earlier version of Windows is installed.
Click Next to begin the installation. You might see a compatibility report."

Additional information about Multiboot from the Microsoft website:
Can I have more than one operating system on my computer (multiboot)?
http://tinyurl.com/yccnt22

Let me know if this helps!
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support
m
0
l
June 5, 2010 5:49:00 AM

Sorry according to the url directed to by Microsoft windows client support the answer is no.
Question was, already have windows7 installed and now need to install xp with dual boot.
The url directed to explicitly states you MUST install the older operating system first.
Based on this it would appear to be a clear NO, or is there another url to which one would need to be refered to at Microsoft?
The apparent known problem is the Ntldr from the earlier xp and from what I've read a lack of desire to build the capability into either Vista or Windows7. Despite this other programs have been made to enalble this feature and although cumbersome apparently work.
Just an observation, would like to wrong though.
m
0
l
June 5, 2010 3:43:55 PM

roonj, I beg to differ: it is possible to install Windows XP after having installed Windows 7. the SF tutorial referred above shows how. It is not recommended, though, since it is more work and you can hit some snags, which can be solved, but with some additional efforts.

I would also recommend using a virtual machine with XP, since the OP has an XP license. Then he can have access to the Windows 7 programs too without having to reboot.

One last question to the OP: have you tried to install your printer in compatibility mode? Look here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-...
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2010 7:31:09 PM

wallyinnc said:
roonj, I beg to differ: it is possible to install Windows XP after having installed Windows 7. the SF tutorial referred above shows how. It is not recommended, though, since it is more work and you can hit some snags, which can be solved, but with some additional efforts.

I would also recommend using a virtual machine with XP, since the OP has an XP license. Then he can have access to the Windows 7 programs too without having to reboot.

One last question to the OP: have you tried to install your printer in compatibility mode? Look here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-...


Exactly what is the issue if you have windows-7 installed first, and then try to dual boot from a XP installed later?
I think I might want to do this to run XP 32 bit so I can properly play civ 2.42 and dual boot to windows-7 64 bit. Early on, I tried a virtual xp machine, but civ did not play properly.
m
0
l
June 5, 2010 8:25:26 PM

When you install XP it will mess up Win7 bootloader. After you install XP you have to install and run EasyBCD or BCDEdit to repair the BCD file and be able to boot to both OS's

Take a look at this tutorial and you will see that it is much more complicated to do it this way: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-ins...

Ideally, as MS recommends, install XP first, then Win7.

Another, maybe less elegant, solution is to perform a dual boot from BIOS, that is, you install the OSs on separate drives (one connected to the computer at a time, or it won't work) and when booting you have to enter your BIOS option for primary boot device and select the one with the OS you want at that point. Kinda cumbersome, but also works
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 5, 2010 9:49:29 PM

wallyinnc said:
When you install XP it will mess up Win7 bootloader. After you install XP you have to install and run EasyBCD or BCDEdit to repair the BCD file and be able to boot to both OS's

Take a look at this tutorial and you will see that it is much more complicated to do it this way: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-ins...

Ideally, as MS recommends, install XP first, then Win7.

Another, maybe less elegant, solution is to perform a dual boot from BIOS, that is, you install the OSs on separate drives (one connected to the computer at a time, or it won't work) and when booting you have to enter your BIOS option for primary boot device and select the one with the OS you want at that point. Kinda cumbersome, but also works

Thanks for the info.
I have a trim enabled SSD for windows-7, so the bios needs AHCI. Installing XP with AHCI is more complicated; I may have to install a F6 floppy. So, not only would I need to alter the boot order, but also change the sata from ahci to ide. I guess I will have to understand the complicated tutorial If I want to do it right.
m
0
l
October 17, 2011 5:28:46 AM

i just loaded up my lps-1 as a brother ql-500 in vista, which is a pre-loaded driver, they are similar, I even downloaded the p-touch software and printed from this and printed from microsoft word, sure this will work in windows 7 as well.

after it fails to find the driver, go to device manager and manually load the driver for the brother ql-500.
m
0
l
May 2, 2012 11:25:55 PM

you need nlite to slip stream the hard drive controller drivers into the xp installation
m
0
l
November 17, 2012 7:28:01 AM

digistyle said:
Hello,
I have windows 7 64 bit running and need to dual boot XP 32 bit due to my Pitney Bowes LPS-1 thermal shipping label printer only has drivers upto XP 32 bit. I created a 3 Gig partition on the same drive as my Windows 7 64 bit (Volume Label "C")OS and gave it a volume label of "B". But everytime I put the XP disc in and try to load OS it will get to the point where it loads the drivers and when it says starting windows for install it gives me the blue screen of death. Ant Ideas?



On my case Problem was is in BIOS. Go to Bios and if you want XP32 bit then chande AHCI driver to IDE driver. Than you have XP and no problem. When you want WIN 7 64 bit then before loading go to bios and change to AHCI driver. Then you go to WIN 7 no problem.
I resolve my problem and i have dual boot system.
before you do proper thing download EasyBCD 2.2. and In Win 7 SHRINK Volume and convert to dynamic disk about 100 gigs.
Then you instal XP on this partition and changing with IDE OR AHCI you will get the system you want.
m
0
l
!