Aspire 5742 recovery disk stopped 1/2 way w/error message & won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kit2594

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
My Acer Aspire 5742 recovery disk stopped 1/2 way threw the process giving me an error message. Now my laptop won't boot up!

I have an Acer Aspire 5742 laptop that runs Windows 7. When I got it I made the back-up disk immediately (like it suggest) so that I could restore it to the original settings in case I had a problem or it slowed down. It had finally slowed down lately so much so that I decided to use the disks to get it back to how it was when I got it. The 1st of the 3 disks went find, however part way threw the 2nd I got a message saying there was an error & it could not be completed.

I exited out of the message & it brought up a black screen that says “Windows Boot Manger” at the top.

Then it is followed by:

“Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click “Next.”
3. Click “Repair your computer”.

If you do not have this disk, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance

Info: the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

------------------------------------------------------------
I’ve tried everything I can think of but can’t get it to boot up. When I press Esc & then F2 I get to the SetUp Utility but can’t do anything from there to get it to boot up. I don’t know that much about using this utility so there maybe something that someone can suggest. When I exit this utility it brings me right back to the Windows Boot Manager. This laptop did not come with any disks at all.

Does anyone know of anything I can do to get my laptop to boot up again? Does Acer sell the system restore disks & is so, does anyone know what it would cost?

Thanks for any help or advice,
Kit

LJAM

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hi Kit, did you get any help for this? I was trying to restore my ACER 5517 as well, but I got the same error as you. Now I can't do anything.
If you got any assistance, can you please share?

LJAM

vancedecker

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
This is two years later, but based on Acer boldness in decieving users, I'm sure that someone will stumble upon this unsolved thread eventually.

You can read my two previous rants on this topic here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/48515-63-acer-factory-recovery-disc-wont-work-acer-aspire-7740#12611044

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1949086/restore-acer-laptop-back-factory-settings-promps-laptop.html#12611135

Basically, the 'factory default restore' disks are garbage, you will probably need the 'system restore' disks from Acer. By the way, the terminology used means exactly the same thing, however, Acer has arbitrary fabricated new meanings for these terms in this context.

The answer for those experiencing this problem is most likely your recovery or boot paritions are damaged, the recovery cd's Acer told you to create when you got your computer are useless and just for show, like the TSA, and you will now need to get working diskettes from Acer and/or get a retail Windows installation disk.

deucesup22

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2012
What was I thinking. I bought a parts Acer 5517 for the LCD but turns out my MB and hard drive were bad but the machibne I got comes up and after putting in a HD I went to restore using the backup 3 disc set..Mine also errors out halfway thru disc 2 (error code 23 cyclic redundancy check). Has there ever been an instance that those reciovery disks worked.
Any help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.