The Earth Dragon

So, gearing up to run the old A4 module. For those of you under 40
years old, that's the one where the PCs are dumped nearly naked, with
few spells and no weapons, into an underground cave system.

Now: the original version of this has the PCs being "sacrificed to the
Earth Dragon". This is a bit of a soft spot, as there is no Earth
Dragon. Presumably previous sacrifices just wandered around in the
labyrinth until something ate them (the sandling, the kobolds, the
mobile violet fungus...). Really, the whole Earth Dragon business was
just an excuse for the module writer and the DM to toss the PCs into
the dungeon.

What I'd like to do is have there /be/ an Earth Dragon. Not
necessarily an actual dragon, but something around CR 8-10 that's been
noshing on the sacrifices that have been dumped down the chute.

Ideally, it should also be something that can somehow affect the
volcano. IOW, I'd like the PCs to fight and beat the "Earth Dragon"...
and have /that/ trigger the eruption, because the ED really *has* been
holding it off.

Something like a xorn, or the oread from FF, could do. One problem is
that they're both neutral, and I'd prefer something unpleasant, so the
PCs will have no compunctions about going after it. Of course, it has
to be something a bunch of disarmed 9th level PCs can handle...

Thoughts?

Waldo
12 answers Last reply
More about earth dragon

    Waldo wrote:
    > So, gearing up to run the old A4 module. For those of you under 40
    > years old, that's the one where the PCs are dumped nearly naked, with
    > few spells and no weapons, into an underground cave system.

    Well I'm 35, and I remember it.

    > Now: the original version of this has the PCs being "sacrificed to the
    > Earth Dragon". This is a bit of a soft spot, as there is no Earth
    > Dragon. Presumably previous sacrifices just wandered around in the
    > labyrinth until something ate them (the sandling, the kobolds, the
    > mobile violet fungus...). Really, the whole Earth Dragon business was
    > just an excuse for the module writer and the DM to toss the PCs into
    > the dungeon.

    I believe the "Earth Dragon" was the volcano. You know, sacraficing
    people to the volcano?

    - Justisaur
    - Justisaur

    "Waldo" <peggoliathy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > So, gearing up to run the old A4 module. For those of you under 40
    > years old, that's the one where the PCs are dumped nearly naked, with
    > few spells and no weapons, into an underground cave system.
    >
    > Now: the original version of this has the PCs being "sacrificed to the
    > Earth Dragon". This is a bit of a soft spot, as there is no Earth
    > Dragon. Presumably previous sacrifices just wandered around in the
    > labyrinth until something ate them (the sandling, the kobolds, the
    > mobile violet fungus...). Really, the whole Earth Dragon business was
    > just an excuse for the module writer and the DM to toss the PCs into
    > the dungeon.
    >
    > What I'd like to do is have there /be/ an Earth Dragon. Not
    > necessarily an actual dragon, but something around CR 8-10 that's been
    > noshing on the sacrifices that have been dumped down the chute.
    >
    > Ideally, it should also be something that can somehow affect the
    > volcano. IOW, I'd like the PCs to fight and beat the "Earth Dragon"...
    > and have /that/ trigger the eruption, because the ED really *has* been
    > holding it off.
    >
    > Something like a xorn, or the oread from FF, could do. One problem is
    > that they're both neutral, and I'd prefer something unpleasant, so the
    > PCs will have no compunctions about going after it. Of course, it has
    > to be something a bunch of disarmed 9th level PCs can handle...

    Who says the one they might be fighting isn't chaotic evil, taken to eating
    whatever gets dumped down the hole rather than the metals and rocks of it's
    usual diet? The MM alignment only goes for the breed as a whole not for
    individuals.
    -==-
    Jerry Chesko

    Jerry Chesko wrote:
    > "Waldo" <peggoliathy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>So, gearing up to run the old A4 module. For those of you under 40
    >>years old, that's the one where the PCs are dumped nearly naked, with
    >>few spells and no weapons, into an underground cave system.
    >>
    >>Now: the original version of this has the PCs being "sacrificed to the
    >>Earth Dragon". This is a bit of a soft spot, as there is no Earth
    >>Dragon. Presumably previous sacrifices just wandered around in the
    >>labyrinth until something ate them (the sandling, the kobolds, the
    >>mobile violet fungus...). Really, the whole Earth Dragon business was
    >>just an excuse for the module writer and the DM to toss the PCs into
    >>the dungeon.
    >>
    >>What I'd like to do is have there /be/ an Earth Dragon. Not
    >>necessarily an actual dragon, but something around CR 8-10 that's been
    >>noshing on the sacrifices that have been dumped down the chute.
    >>
    >>Ideally, it should also be something that can somehow affect the
    >>volcano. IOW, I'd like the PCs to fight and beat the "Earth Dragon"...
    >>and have /that/ trigger the eruption, because the ED really *has* been
    >>holding it off.
    >>
    >>Something like a xorn, or the oread from FF, could do. One problem is
    >>that they're both neutral, and I'd prefer something unpleasant, so the
    >>PCs will have no compunctions about going after it. Of course, it has
    >>to be something a bunch of disarmed 9th level PCs can handle...
    >

    > Who says the one they might be fighting isn't chaotic evil, taken to eating
    > whatever gets dumped down the hole rather than the metals and rocks of it's
    > usual diet? The MM alignment only goes for the breed as a whole not for
    > individuals.
    > -==-
    > Jerry Chesko

    True, but... Why would a xorn eat meat when what they digest is
    minerals? Unarmed PCs with no possessions don't have anything it wants.

    There is an Earth Drake in Draconomicon, but IIRC it is far too powerful
    for what you want. You could perhaps reduce it to a baby earth drake by
    removing hit dice, etc.

    A Ssvaklor might be too powerful (CR 10), but would fit your description
    of what you want. That DR 10/Magic would really shine in the encounter
    though.

    A pack of kobolds might be a funny idea, but the PCs would quickly arm
    themselves with the (small) weapons of the fallen and use them against
    the rest. Still, its an easy encounter to adjust, and backed up by a
    powerful enough sorcerer you could have a challenging encounter.

    A hydra would work nicely.

    A deep dragon could be considered an "earth dragon", and a young-ish one
    wouldn't be too powerful.

    A sapphire dragon (MMII) really *is* an Earth Dragon, and would provide
    the opportunity for the PCs to use Diplomacy (and maybe letting the
    dragon win a game of chess) instead of having to fight. Of course it
    could go either way, and the dragon might attack them if no one thinks
    to use diplomicization.

    A pair of hook horrors would do the job.

    A dinosaur with the Earth creature template would work too.

    - Ron ^*^

    Jerry Chesko <res7g0hd@verizon.net> wrote:

    > "Waldo" <peggoliathy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Ideally, it should also be something that can somehow affect the
    >> volcano. IOW, I'd like the PCs to fight and beat the "Earth Dragon"...
    >> and have /that/ trigger the eruption, because the ED really *has* been
    >> holding it off.
    >>
    >> Something like a xorn, or the oread from FF, could do. One problem is
    >> that they're both neutral, and I'd prefer something unpleasant, so the
    >> PCs will have no compunctions about going after it. Of course, it has
    >> to be something a bunch of disarmed 9th level PCs can handle...

    > Who says the one they might be fighting isn't chaotic evil, taken to eating
    > whatever gets dumped down the hole rather than the metals and rocks of it's
    > usual diet? The MM alignment only goes for the breed as a whole not for
    > individuals.
    > -==-
    > Jerry Chesko

    Well, unless you're *really* omnivorous, changes in alignment aren't
    usually going to affect how your digestive system works. :) Instead,
    I suppose a chaotic evil earth-type creature could just be running a
    protection racket -- *this* much treasure each month or the volcano
    breaks loose -- and just have come up with the sacrifice idea for
    morale value. Lowering the morale of potential intruders, that is...

    Of course, it'd need to be something the party stands a chance to
    beat. A creature capable of just vanishing into the next wall or floor
    at will (as I seem to dimly recall xorn *can*, though I could be
    mistaken) would have little incentive to fight them on *their* terms.

    --
    Klaus Mittag (mittag@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de)
    #include <disclaimer.h>

    Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
    > Jerry Chesko wrote:
    >> "Waldo" <peggoliathy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>What I'd like to do is have there /be/ an Earth Dragon. Not
    >>>necessarily an actual dragon, but something around CR 8-10 that's been
    >>>noshing on the sacrifices that have been dumped down the chute.
    >
    > There is an Earth Drake in Draconomicon,
    >
    > A Ssvaklor might be too powerful (CR 10), but would fit your description
    > of what you want. That DR 10/Magic would really shine in the encounter
    > though.

    Facing DR10/magic, with no gear. That's going to be a *tough* fight.

    > A pack of kobolds might be a funny idea,
    > A hydra would work nicely.
    > A deep dragon could be considered an "earth dragon",
    > A sapphire dragon (MMII) really *is* an Earth Dragon,
    > A pair of hook horrors would do the job.
    > A dinosaur with the Earth creature template would work too.

    Or almost any youngish dragon with the earth template, possibly with the
    'keeps volcano in check' special quality (probably no CR adjustment for
    it, it's just a plot thing... unless it can use it in a fight).

    Volcanism: the dragon can prevent a volcano from erupting, and draw on
    the volcanic energy for certain effects (cause jets of steam/spurts of
    lava from the floor/ceiling/walls, sort of thing).

    Wait, didn't Dragon magazine have an article with lava dragons? That
    sounds almost made for this.

    Keith

    Keith Davies wrote:
    > Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Jerry Chesko wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Waldo" <peggoliathy@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>There is an Earth Drake in Draconomicon,
    >>
    >>A Ssvaklor might be too powerful (CR 10), but would fit your description
    >>of what you want. That DR 10/Magic would really shine in the encounter
    >>though.
    >

    > Facing DR10/magic, with no gear. That's going to be a *tough* fight.
    >

    >>A pack of kobolds might be a funny idea,
    >>A hydra would work nicely.
    >>A deep dragon could be considered an "earth dragon",
    >>A sapphire dragon (MMII) really *is* an Earth Dragon,
    >>A pair of hook horrors would do the job.
    >>A dinosaur with the Earth creature template would work too.
    >

    > Or almost any youngish dragon with the earth template, possibly with the
    > 'keeps volcano in check' special quality (probably no CR adjustment for
    > it, it's just a plot thing... unless it can use it in a fight).
    >
    > Volcanism: the dragon can prevent a volcano from erupting, and draw on
    > the volcanic energy for certain effects (cause jets of steam/spurts of
    > lava from the floor/ceiling/walls, sort of thing).
    >
    > Wait, didn't Dragon magazine have an article with lava dragons? That
    > sounds almost made for this.

    Pyroclastic dragons, yeah. They're in Draconomicon, too.

    <hits self in head> Now why didn't I think of that?

    A juvenile is CR 9, and would be a Hell of a fight for a party with no
    gear. I'd go with a slightly younger one.

    Technically, pyroclastic dragons are from Gehenna, but there could be a
    gate to Gehenna under the volcano somewheres.

    - Ron ^*^

    Waldo <peggoliathy@yahoo.com> writes
    >So, gearing up to run the old A4 module. For those of you under 40
    >years old, that's the one where the PCs are dumped nearly naked, with
    >few spells and no weapons, into an underground cave system.
    >
    >Now: the original version of this has the PCs being "sacrificed to the
    >Earth Dragon". This is a bit of a soft spot, as there is no Earth
    >Dragon. Presumably previous sacrifices just wandered around in the
    >labyrinth until something ate them (the sandling, the kobolds, the
    >mobile violet fungus...). Really, the whole Earth Dragon business was
    >just an excuse for the module writer and the DM to toss the PCs into
    >the dungeon.
    >
    >What I'd like to do is have there /be/ an Earth Dragon. Not
    >necessarily an actual dragon, but something around CR 8-10 that's been
    >noshing on the sacrifices that have been dumped down the chute.
    >
    >Ideally, it should also be something that can somehow affect the
    >volcano. IOW, I'd like the PCs to fight and beat the "Earth Dragon"...
    >and have /that/ trigger the eruption, because the ED really *has* been
    >holding it off.
    >
    >Something like a xorn, or the oread from FF, could do. One problem is
    >that they're both neutral, and I'd prefer something unpleasant, so the
    >PCs will have no compunctions about going after it. Of course, it has
    >to be something a bunch of disarmed 9th level PCs can handle...
    >
    >Thoughts?

    The Earth Dragon cult is (in 2nd Ed. terms) described in the "Return
    To..."-esque "Slavers" sequel to the A-series.

    It is:

    "..an ancient deity of the Flanaess...just the spirit of Mount
    Drachenkopf"

    And:

    "Legend says it lives in an expansive underground lair avoided by all
    the subterranean races."

    And:

    "The temple of Mount Drachenkopf has a shaft of unknown depth that is
    used to drop sacrifices down into the god's realm. The magic of the
    shaft transports victims safely to its lair, where the god devours
    them."

    And:

    "The Earth Dragon most commonly manifests its power as an
    earthquake...may also cause avalanches, rains of stone, and rarely,
    volcanic eruptions...may manifest itself as a mottled serpent or a
    gargantuan dragon formed of variegated stone laced with precious ores."

    (No stats are given for the latter manifestation)

    The "Slavers" module is actually a reasonable source (IMO) for expanding
    the A-series (it fills in a lot of the gaps left by the original
    modules, for example), even if it's not used as a sequel adventure.

    --
    Ian R Malcomson
    "Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"

    Ian R Malcomson wrote:
    > Waldo <peggoliathy@yahoo.com> writes
    >
    >> So, gearing up to run the old A4 module. For those of you under 40
    >> years old, that's the one where the PCs are dumped nearly naked, with
    >> few spells and no weapons, into an underground cave system.
    >>
    >> Now: the original version of this has the PCs being "sacrificed to the
    >> Earth Dragon". This is a bit of a soft spot, as there is no Earth
    >> Dragon. Presumably previous sacrifices just wandered around in the
    >> labyrinth until something ate them (the sandling, the kobolds, the
    >> mobile violet fungus...). Really, the whole Earth Dragon business was
    >> just an excuse for the module writer and the DM to toss the PCs into
    >> the dungeon.
    >>
    >> What I'd like to do is have there /be/ an Earth Dragon. Not
    >> necessarily an actual dragon, but something around CR 8-10 that's been
    >> noshing on the sacrifices that have been dumped down the chute.
    >>
    >> Ideally, it should also be something that can somehow affect the
    >> volcano. IOW, I'd like the PCs to fight and beat the "Earth Dragon"...
    >> and have /that/ trigger the eruption, because the ED really *has* been
    >> holding it off.
    >>
    >> Something like a xorn, or the oread from FF, could do. One problem is
    >> that they're both neutral, and I'd prefer something unpleasant, so the
    >> PCs will have no compunctions about going after it. Of course, it has
    >> to be something a bunch of disarmed 9th level PCs can handle...
    >>
    >> Thoughts?
    >

    > The Earth Dragon cult is (in 2nd Ed. terms) described in the "Return
    > To..."-esque "Slavers" sequel to the A-series.
    >
    > It is:
    >
    > "..an ancient deity of the Flanaess...just the spirit of Mount Drachenkopf"

    "Mount Dragonhead"?

    Werebat wrote:

    > "Mount Dragonhead"?

    Well, yeah, but it sounds *dirty* when you say it that way...

    Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> writes
    >Ian R Malcomson wrote:
    >> The Earth Dragon cult is (in 2nd Ed. terms) described in the
    >>"Return To..."-esque "Slavers" sequel to the A-series.
    >> It is:
    >> "..an ancient deity of the Flanaess...just the spirit of Mount
    >>Drachenkopf"
    >
    >"Mount Dragonhead"?

    It's better than Mont Tête de le Singe!

    --

    Ian R Malcomson wrote:

    > Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> writes
    >
    >> Ian R Malcomson wrote:
    >>
    >>> The Earth Dragon cult is (in 2nd Ed. terms) described in the
    >>> "Return To..."-esque "Slavers" sequel to the A-series.
    >>> It is:
    >>> "..an ancient deity of the Flanaess...just the spirit of Mount
    >>> Drachenkopf"
    >>

    >> "Mount Dragonhead"?
    >

    > It's better than Mont Tête de le Singe!

    LOL!

    But not as good as Les Grandes Tetons...

    - Ron ^*^

    Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> writes

    >Ian R Malcomson wrote:
    >
    >> Werebat <ranpoirier@cox.net> writes

    >>> "Mount Dragonhead"?
    >> It's better than Mont Tête de le Singe!
    >
    >LOL!
    >
    >But not as good as Les Grandes Tetons...

    Ahhh, those containing the mineshaft Le Vagin Profondément?

    (*Why* is that a male noun??? Weird language...)

    --
    Ian R Malcomson
    "Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box"

PCS Video Games