Chip Advice

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I've come across a really good deal on an OEM P4 2.4. I'm interested in buying it, but I have no experience with OEM chips. I was hoping to get some feedback from all of you, as to your experience with OEM chips (good or bad). The warranty is only 30 days on it.
Now, I've never had a chip fry on me yet, but perhaps there's a reason for there being only a 30 day warranty on the chip?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
oem doesnt have a good warantee and it doesnt come with a fan. the retail comes with a sufficent fan and a longer warantee, thats all. they are cheaper because resellers buy them in bulk packaging, no need to pay for extra packaging and manual.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
Ok, that small nudge is all I needed; I'm gonna buy it. LOL
I had already purchased a retail chip for my current system, but when I saw what this was going for, my mouth started to water.
Thanx for the nudge :tongue:

BrettJRob

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
Just make sure you get a good Heatsink/Fan to go with your OEM chip and you'll be fine. I made the dumb mistake of purchasing a Retail version of my Duron CPU, and sure enough, within a few weeks of installing it, I ripped it out, "unlocked" it, put some Arctic Silver on, and am now running it at 133*10 instead of the default 100*12, thus completely voiding that 3-year warranty I was so excited about ;-).

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I've already purchased a Volcano 7+ so that should be great for that chip. It's not an online store, it's a friend of mine that has a small computer shop here locally. He has 2 others that he's willing to sell. They are all exactly the same, P4 2.4B OEM.....are u ready for what it's going for? ...$160 weeeeeeeee
I'll talk to him again tomorrow if your interested. All you would have to add to that would be shipping which should be almost nothing for that lil wafer. Leave me a private message and I'll get back to you. Remember, there are only 2 and probably won't last that long.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
thanks for the offer, but ive recently upgraded my computer, its an athlon system so if i got a pentium i would have to get a new board and all that jazz. one system upgrade a year is all i can do : )

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
U know AMD would/will never know if u overclocked your Duron CPU......Pencil CAN be erased u know =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

TRENDING THREADS