Oct 7, 2002
hey,

My computer is not so new,
-asus A7V motherboard
-384mb 133mhz sdram
-1000Mhz Athlon thunderbird
-20gb quantum fireball
-asus v7700 gforce 2GTS 32mb

heres my problem, For the longest time i have been running the computer just fine with default settings, and everything was fine, till one day out of the blue the damn thing boots up at 800mhz... So i fiddled with the settings (which i know VERY well) and nothing would work... so i just left it for a while, because i didnt really care that much! But to my suprise a week later it started running at 1000mhz again all on its own with no tweaking! this was fine untill recently when it happened again... back to 800! so now im getting royally pissed :eek:! Back a year ago or so i tried to overclock it because that was the big thing with these chips (still is by the looks of it!) and i did the old pencil on the chip trick and it more or less didnt do much.. i had a pretty unstable chip we will say... so i set all the motherboard switches back to defaults and left it to be! then about a year later is when all this stuff started happening!!! It's an underclocking mystery......

can anyone help me??

much appreciatted

boontobias... ;)

You said you set your M/B switches back to defaults, did you remove the penciling from the processor? Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Hmmm,

Stock
7.5*100=750
<font color=red>7.5*133=1000</font color=red>

Is this your attempt to overclock?
8*100=800
8*133=1064 roughly 1000, although I thought the bios would recognize this as 1050 ?!

Check your FSB in the bios. Maybe it's just the battery on your motherboard that is dying and it's running your bios at defaults (100Mhz) when it's having problems.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dhlucke on 10/07/02 03:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
errr. he is running the a7v. 100 fsb support only. 133 would be pretty extreme on the pci devices.

my bet is that his bios battery needs replacing, or possibly the chip.

<b> :cool: I :smile: think :frown: I'm :redface: addicted :wink: to :eek: these :mad: ever :eek: so :tongue: cute :cool: smiley :lol: faces! :wink: </b>

boontobias

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
ya thats probably all it is, the battery... seems like a possiblility.. ive only had the mobo for maybe 2 yrs or so though.. can it die that quickly?

- As for the lead on the chip, I erased it ages ago. so thats not the problem.

my system: athlon 1Ghz t-bird, 384mb 133mhz ram, asus A7V mobo, asus v7700 gforce 2 gts 32mb, 20gb quantum HD,mx400 sound, 17" monitor, altec speaker/sub.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Isn't there an option to on the A7V to set FSB by jumpers or go jumperless? Maybe the option jumper is making intermittent contact.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Have you used compressed air to blow the dust off of your mobo, misc. components, and power supply? Dust can sometimes cause funky things to happen.

<pre><A HREF="http://www.nuklearpower.com/comic/186.htm" target="_new"><font color=red>It's all relative...</font color=red></A></pre><p>

boontobias

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
Ya its all set to jumperless, so it should use the chip's default setting multiplier of 10. the fsb is 100mhz thats what it's designed to run at. so 100x10= 1000Mhz default right? thats how its set up, and its been switching AUTOMATICALLY! like i havent touched it, and it booted up one day at 800mhz.. dust hmmmm.. maybe.. all good suggestions.. ill look into it..

thanks alot guys!

my system: athlon 1Ghz t-bird, 384mb 133mhz ram, asus A7V mobo, asus v7700 gforce 2 gts 32mb, 20gb quantum HD,mx400 sound, 17" monitor, altec speaker/sub.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I really don't know how the switching between jumper an jumperless mode works. It was just a thought that a bad jumper connection might be causing the board to switch from one mode to the other.

All I really remember about the A7V was it orignally used jumpers only, then ASUS decided to cater to AMD's wishes and started shipping the boards without jumpers or dipswitches, and finally ASUS changed their mind again. The final revision had both jumpered and jumperless operation. If you look hard enough you can still find DIY articles on how and where to attach a dipswitch block to that intermediate revision of the A7V so that overclocking features would be available.

stealthbig

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
When its 800, check something like wcpuid and check the multipliers and stuff. That way it would be easier to find out whats being changed when it is from 1000 to 800, the multiplier or fsb.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Well more or less ur right about the A7V....They ALL came with Jumpers....for JumperFREE and JumperMODE...the JEN Jumper.....and Voltage Jumpers...all 4 of them....but there were versions with and without the Dipswitch block's for selection of the FSB and the Multipler...i believe there name were SW1 and SW2.....i have an Asus A7V133 on the syste, im on right now.....its the same board as the A7V except its got to KT133A Chipset as opposed to the NON A and has a Promise controller with raid support.....Anyways..........the non dipswitch block version was only for certain Revision's of the board......and some places even sold the one without the dipswitches for less money than the ones with.... =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
OK, thanks. I didn't realize both versions of the A7V (with and without switchblocks) were sold at the same time. I do remember that the engineering samples that the reviewers first received had the switchblocks. I also remember that people were complaining that the switchblocks were absent on some boards and that there were DIY fixes for this.

I could be wrong but I also thought that the early A7V did not have the option for Multiplier and FSB adjustments in BIOS meaning jumper free operation was not for overclockers. I thought that true jumper free operation (including overclocking features) didn't appear until later revisions.

I do remember I chose the Abit KT7 over the Asus A7V because the KT7 was completely jumper free plus I didn't want to get stuck with one of the A7Vs without the switchblock.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i had a batch of computers that came from my supplyer that had dead batteries a week after i set them up.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal