Sign in with
Your question

Computer Problems help please!!!

Last response: in CPUs
October 8, 2002 8:21:21 AM

I have the gygabite 8IHXP I850E board with a 2.53 cpu and 512 of 1066 kingston rdram and everytime I try to install os xp it allways comes up with errors and never finishes installing. I thought the harddrive was bad but checked it on another puter and it installs fine please help me. I also have an ati radeon 9700pro but I tryed another video card and same thing please help

More about : computer problems

October 8, 2002 12:57:20 PM

is it overclocked, if so dont do it till U get a stable system up & running...
got another copy of XP to try ???
try dif HDD cables, A busted DMA100 cable will give you headaches...

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)
Related resources
October 8, 2002 6:22:31 PM

Ok its not overclocked, and I have a antec soho case and a 430w true powersupply. I get no beeps at all when I turn to system on it gets to about half way done installing and just restarts and also it comes up with an error telling me windows had to stop instalation and if it continued it would damage my parts and it says something about the harddrive to turn off any virus scans and or defrag the drive and at the bottom of that it says dump ram and some numbers and then dump ok, or something like that
October 8, 2002 7:19:24 PM

Sounds like it isn't the power supply then.
What exact steps do you take to try installing the OS?

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2002 7:20:47 PM

First let me say that I'm about to describe an unlikely solution:
OK, from what I've seen Kingston RDRAM is running about a 10% rate of defects. That would imply that in all likelyhood roughly 1 out of 5 builds will result in 1 out of 2 bad modules. The reason I still recommend them over Samsung is because the 90% that are "perfect" will clock much higher than Samsung modules, and defective modules are covered under warranty. The way to test it would be to obtain one more Kingston module and try to figure out which one from the first pair is bad.

But I don't think this is your problem. I only brought it up because there is a lot of rumor running around the web about this problem, and I'm sure the rumors will get back to you.

It could be a slightly low voltage causing the problem, you can raise memory voltage slightly in BIOS if you thing that it is.

Or it might be another quirk that I'm unaware of.

Have you tried deleting the drive partition, creating a new one, and reformating it?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
October 8, 2002 8:17:52 PM

Yeah tried deleting the partition and making a new one same problem I just dont know what is going on. I dont get any beeps when I power on either. I put the harddrive in my brothers pc and deleted the partition and created another and installed windows no problem. I also tried another video card one that works same thing.
October 8, 2002 8:20:25 PM

Do you think I should just rma the mobo, cpu, and ram back or what?
October 8, 2002 8:44:20 PM

If you RMA all of them on the basis that one is flawed, then you'll probably end up charged a restock fee for the other two if the company feels like being mean...

How about partition, format, and install Windows on the working PC and then transfer the hard drive. (Or use a boot floppy with diagnostic tools.) Then run a mem test or other diagnostic software to try and narrow down the problem. Then if you can find what one part is the problem, you can just RMA that back and not have to worry about being charged any restock fees.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>
October 9, 2002 2:58:37 AM

ok here is the error I wrote it all down

A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CKDSK ?F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
***Stop: 0x0000007B (0xF894c640, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
October 9, 2002 2:59:55 AM

Here is another error I get

A Problem has been detected And windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be c aused by the following file NTFS.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows up dates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable Bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:
***Stop: 0x00000050 (0xDF4FFFFC, 0x00000000, 0xF8178F73, 0x00000000)

*** NTFS.sys-address F8178F73 base at F8158000, Date stamp 3b7dc5d0
October 14, 2002 4:36:02 AM

Ok ordered a new mobo the same one and I get different errors now. I get to installing windows and it gives me a error saying it cant install diskdrive files and files system and other crap what do you think is going on?
October 14, 2002 5:22:14 AM

sounds to me that your harddrive may have some bad sectors on it you might want to try a different hd

Oh aye its guaranteed, but I'm not too sure about the stuff inside. - Scotty
October 14, 2002 12:25:17 PM

if you installed your OS on this HDD fine in another system then the HDD is fine... did you try another cable (even a 40wire DMA33 cable) ??

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)
!