swedish

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
Hi
i.m kind of thinking about building a new computer,
What I can spend is 3.000-4.000 $
I want the best of course…….good gaming machine, powerful enough to run graphics programs like Studio Max etc, I want to use it for watching movies, internet, burning my owns CDs, music etc
What parts would u suggest?
Should I wait for P4 3.06ghz?

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
assuming your $3000-4000 is in US dollars, you have a LOT of money to spend. you can afford a real beast of a system.

The 3.06 will probably be out in about 3 weeks. I'd wait, not for the extra clock, but for the HyperThreading :smile:

-Col.Kiwi

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I'd start with an i850 board, ATI AIW 9700, and that 3.06GHz CPU. Get some PC1066 or RIMM4200 (depending on the board), raid a couple Western Digital 120GB drives (the 8MB cache type), add a DVD-Rom and CD-RW of your choice. A turtle beach santa cruiz soundcard would do you well, a 19" CRT would be better for gaming than a DFP, you'll want a nice case and maybe that Enermax 465W power supply...I'd top it off with two sets of ATP3 speakers because they sound awesome and are cheap.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

swedish

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2002
yeah it´s in US dollars......this time around i want to build something realy good. havying that kind of money just to burn on a computer can be a disadvantage....u start thinking is it realy good enough, should i buy it now or wait...?
so what would be yr top choice if u hade 3.000-4.000$??
as i said good gaming machine, good enough to run complicated animations/graphics programs, lots of storage for my mp3 and movies (probably 3-5x 120Gb), the best graphic card u can get, video editing etc....
i have a small network att home so even a good LAN/DSL solution...
computers are my pasion and it's realy easy to build something for a friend or a client but difficult to decide what to put in yr own "baby". so i would realy aprisiate some help :)))

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think Crashman had the right idea. Wait for the 3.06GHz P4, maybe toss in an ATI All In Wonder 9700, an Audidgy Platinum (Audigy2 Platinum out yet?) ... or Santa Cruz to save money instead of the Audigy. Get an 850 motherboard with onboard RAID (and maybe onboard USB2, Firewire, and gigabit network). Give it nice PC1066 or PC4200 RDRAM. Throw in a number of WD1200JBs, perhaps toss in a DVD burner and or high speed CD burner. Get a nice 19" CRT monitor (maybe even 21" if you're so inclined) and a good speaker system. Toss it all into a nice case (preferably one with some decent room inside so that the hard drives have room to breathe) with a strong power supply (definately more than 400W, if not over 500W if you have a lot of hard drives) and enjoy.

With that kind of money and a little patience to wait for the 3.06GHz P4 with Hyperthreading, you should have one hell of a system.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

NEUTRALITY

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2002
Wait 5 years and then buy whatever is the latest and greatest then---BUT BE WARY, it'll be outdated in 3 months.

(NT is based on "happy sauce" technology :smile: )

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
If you have that much money to blow wait till after christmas. NV30 will be out and ATI should've smoothed out any remaining bugs (and yes there are bugs) in the 9700. So you can see which one's better. Also, Granite Bay should be out by then which would offer significantly better memory performance than any of the current chipsets and would feed a 3.06 P4 well especially considering it's HT enabled.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
"Granite Bay should be out by then which would offer significantly better memory performance than any of the current chipsets ..."

Granite bay only supports up to DDR266 memory. Granite Bay with DDR266 offers about the same bandwidth as 850E with 1066MHz Rambus. I believe Sis 655 or Via's dual DDR chipset are the best choice, they support up to DDR333 memory, dwarfing 1066Mhz rambus' bandwidth by comparison.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Do a quick comparaison I860 is faster when HT is enable
Using Pc800 vs DDR 1600 (E7500)

I850E vs E7205 (granite bay)

Pc 1066 vs DDR 2100

The good news is that DDR 2100 is much more riable that any others DDR.DDR have a low cost but intel ask 100 buck for E7205 vs 40 I850E. So a direct 120$ buck more for the Mobo or a 200 cad increase.consider that it will be 8 layer (rambus just show how to done a 4 layer boards with 4 channel 64 bit rimm or 2*32bit)boards much more component on the boards + it faster that I850E (even by 1%) so a a 33$ extra price for the fastest systemes.Also does granites bay use a full dual channel setting like E7500 or like I850 a share adresse bus.RDRAM have a bit less latency compare to Pc2100 (just look at aceshardware bench) but now come in play intel willing to really kill RDRAM or give it a last chance if yes I850E will be beat due to much better northbride like I845.

Now what to do??

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Do a quick comparaison I860 is faster when HT is enable

I850E vs E7205 (granite bay)

Pc 1066 vs DDR 2100

The good news is that DDR 2100 is much more riable that any others DDR.DDR have a low cost but intel ask 100 buck for E7205 vs 40 I850E. So a direct 120$ buck more for the Mobo or a 200 cad increase.consider that it will be 8 layer (rambus just show how to done a 4 layer boards with 4 channel 64 bit rimm or 2*32bit)boards much more component on the boards + it faster that I850E (even by 1%) so a a 33$ extra price for the fastest systemes.Also does granites bay use a full dual channel setting like E7500 or like I850 a share adresse bus.RDRAM have a bit less latency compare to Pc2100 (just look at aceshardware bench) but now come in play intel willing to really kill RDRAM or give it a last chance if yes I850E will be beat due to much better northbride like I845.

Now what to do??

$3.000 - $4.000 dollars?

I think you can buy a pentium 200mhz cpu for a 3 dollars, but then you got shipping lol ;p

assuming you mean $3,000 to $4,000

if you are running Studio Max the 2 most important factors are the CPU speed and RAM.

So maybe build yourself a Dual AMD MP 2200+. Studio Max prefers AMD over Intel. you want 1GB of RAM. You want the Quadro 4 open gl profesional card. Ulta SCSI 160 and a 18GB hard drive to go with it would do for just the OS and then buy a couple 60GB IDE drives and put that in RAID 0. Get a Tape backup system to backup your work. You can use cd's too but not as reliable as tape is.

If you prefere Intel get the fastest CPU available which is 2.8. get 1GB of RDRAM or 512MB of DDR and next year when DDR goes dual channel but another motherboard that supports dual ddr and another 512MB stick for 1GB dual channel ddr.

most important graphics aspect in 3d rendering are drivers! Thats why you want a opengl profesional card. Such as quadro4 or ATI's latest opengl card.

santa cruz for sound is fine, an asus cd-writer and some dvd-rom is good.

Abit makes good motherboards. I really like there abit IT7 MAX board which i have. They have the IT7 MAX2 too.

Life is irrelivent and irrational.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

also 1GB of RAM and i would think a scsi drive would be good and add 2 60GB drives in RAID 0. Add a tape backup drive.

I know how time consuming studio max is, it would suck if you lost all of your work because of a bad drive ya know?

and yesthe ATI AIW 9700 is something to drool at and has lots of tools for video editing!!!!! *drools*

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

here's a tip. HARDDRIVES CRASH AND BURN DATA LOST FOREVER!

get 2 60Gb drives, scsi drive for the operating system to reside on and a tape backup system or anything for backups. Back up your movies on tape and you should have plenty of room for a long time.

just remember hard drives die! get 3 - 5 of them you're gonna have some serious problems especially with heat.

My setup is 2 60GB drives and i have plenty of room. Down the road i'd love to get a SCSI hard drive to speed up my system.

just remember for video editing the CPU and RAM are most important. The only time your 3d rendering software using your graphics card is when your making the scene. NOT RENDERING IT. Rendering is all CPU and RAM.

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
If i were making a game-making/video-editing/3d-modeling machine TODAY, this is what i would get:

Dual AMD MP 2000+ processors $304 at newEgg.com
Asus A7M266D motherboard $220 at newEgg.com
(2) 512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR memory modules $250 at newEgg.com
Lian-Li PC-62+USB aluminum case $178 at newEgg.com
Sparkle 400W power supply $67 at newEgg.com
Mitsubishi DP2070-BK 22" CRT monitor $765 at mwave.com

***the rest of the components are a toss up, depends on which apps***

halkebul

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2002
"Do a quick comparaison I860 is faster when HT is enable

I850E vs E7205 (granite bay)"

If i understand you correcly, you are saying that 850E is faster than 7205 when HT is enbabled, assuming that when you typed 860 you meant to type 850. Are ya saying that 850E motherboards can't utilize HT? I know of one that does, Asus P4T533 with a bios upgrade. My point is that there is no need to wait for granite bay. Your bandwidth/HT needs are already fulfilled with the 850E chipset.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SCSI would consume a bunch of money that might be better spent elsewhere. Maybe an IDE RAID controller with RAID 5 capability and three of those Western Digitals. Though most onboard RAID controllers can do 0+1 (10) with four drives, which might be cheaper than the additional card with 3 drives, and would be even more secure and faster.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thank goodness someone was smart enough to suggest a recoverable RAID configuration instead of using a tape backup!

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=45775#45775" target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>

hmmmm ... well secure as long as the controller holds up.

Still need a backup device. I still can't be convinced about external hard drives though. and dvd-writers are still too new.

but i suppose that would be a good idea. ... ya i agree. but still need backup.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, RAID 10 should be just a hair slower than RAID0 with 100% backup. RAID 5 is probably halfway between the performance of non-RAID and RAID0.

TRENDING THREADS