Your question

New processor - won't start

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Processors
  • Duron
Last response: in CPUs
October 8, 2002 6:30:00 PM

I've just replaced my old Duron 600 MHz with a Duron 1,3 GHz, but...

Now my computer won't start. I push the power button. LEDs turn on, harddisc, CD-ROM and floppy-drive reacts and all fan starts. End. Nothing more. My monitor doesn't even get a signal.

I'm running on a <b>Gigabyte GA-7ZM, GeForce2 MX, and and old 20 GB HD</b>. I haven't touched anything when I installed it, except the old processor and cooler.

I don't know if it's my PSU. Only 230W. Is that enough? I've done a BIOS-reset. Nothing.

Does anybody know what it is?

Help! :frown:
ALJ

More about : processor start

October 8, 2002 7:06:40 PM

It could be the power supply. It could be a bum CPU. It could be that you accidentally fried the CPU during installation if you didn't ground yourself properly.

**shrug** I'm not sure anyone can tell you what it is without being there to diagnose the problem.

Does the hard drive boot up to the OS? (It flashes and makes reading noises like it's loading something big.)

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>
October 8, 2002 7:15:12 PM

It could be a lot of things, yes. I've checked the CPU - looks fine. I was VERY carefull when I istalled it. And I did ground myself. Touched a radiator. Touched the case. Even took of my socks :) 

I've bought it in a small local computerstore so maybe I should just return it and get a new one.

Does anybody know what PSU is needed for a 1,3 Duron? I've heard somewhere that you need at least a 300W.
Related resources
October 8, 2002 7:26:27 PM

Well, your system doesn't sound all that power hungry. In theory a your power supply should be enough if it's a quality one. If it's a cheap one, it may need replacing.

Have you tried putting the old CPU back in to see if that still works?

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>
October 8, 2002 7:34:54 PM

I don't know the brand. It's a 2 year old standard PSU from a Logic case. Probably not good.

Well, I'm out of thermal paste so I can't try the old one. Doh. I'll pick up some more tomorrow.
October 8, 2002 7:46:39 PM

Hmm... It may be something to consider upgrading then.

Good luck. :) 

October 8, 2002 11:20:22 PM

there were originally some bios issues with the 1.3 duron. You may need a bios update, which means in order to perform this, you'll have to put the old processor back in. It's painful, I know, but you're a fighter, you can do it.

Quote:
<i>You're a tiger! Raaar!</i>

October 10, 2002 2:25:54 AM

You should take a look at <A HREF="http://65.68.55.12/inetpub/ftproot/cpu_support_gigabyte..." target="_new">This Page</A> The GA-7ZM can't support the Duron Morgan or Athlon XP/MP/4 CPUs, too bad, look like you just learned an important lesson, always do extensive research on the compatibility of components you intend to buy.

Fok Speling Misstake
October 10, 2002 2:12:02 PM

And you took your socks off!

Borrow a buddy's PSU and see what happens. That's where I'd start.

<font color=red>I'd like to dedicate this post to all my friends, family, and fans. Without them this post would never have been possible. Thank you!</font color=red>
November 3, 2002 9:01:16 PM

Hi again

Just wanted to close off this topic...

Here's a little story:

After finding out that it probably was a BIOS-problem I decided to update the BIOS... So I got the new version and tried to install it as the instructions said... Of course the program didn't work so I tried a Windows-based program developed by Gigabyte... And guess what? It WORKED! The first 16% at least..... The computer crashed and left me with a corrupt BIOS. !"%!"#%"#

So... What to do? New mobo for a Duron 1,3 GHz? Don't think so... So I found a guy who could hotflash it for me. With the new version. And THEN it worked. So I decided to buy some more RAM now that SD is so cheap... So, of course I got a defective module! Woohoo am I lucky or what?..... Returned it and got a one that worked. Except that it is double-sided and doesn't work with my old modules. But that doesn't really matter... Only had 192 MB... But that was my own fault not checking compability.

Computers suck. But we can't live without them!
ALJ
November 3, 2002 10:27:26 PM

Quote:
And guess what? It WORKED! The first 16% at least..... The computer crashed and left me with a corrupt BIOS. !"%!"#%"#

Next to losing a hard drive without having backups, a failed BIOS flash has got to be the most frustrating computing experience.

Ritesh
November 7, 2002 2:52:52 PM

That's what my conclusion was too... I am no longer afraid to do ANYTHING to my computer. Upgrading CPU and BIOS was the first time I tried that and actually I am happy that it went relatively well. Seeing a computer working after your first try changing a CPU is wonderful. When you finally know if you broke it...

So at least I'm a lot more confident when working with my computer now that there are no longer any "do not even try to touch"-components. BTW I've just bought a Ti4200 and it works just fine with my 230W power supply.

ALJ
!