Sign in with
Your question

What CPU will you bring THG LAN Party? (10-16-02)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 9, 2002 8:31:01 PM

Now that I got the CPU question in, I can talk about the LAN.

Please don't go into a flame war over the question. I don't care which you bring... just show up and play.

I thought that since this is the most read section on the forum that I would pop in over here to give you the scoop on the LAN Party on Nov. 2nd and on the "Tom-Con" 2003, run by THG itself, that will hopefully become a reality.

Please go to the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">THG Gathering/LAN party</A> thread for updates and info.

There will be a website devoted to it but I only will have the poll up today. I will update all of you later.

If you are interested in going to a LAN with THG that is the size of Quakecon and Ultra Unreal... <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Check out the thread</A>.

If you looking for something smaller... <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">Check out that thread</A>.

<font color=red><b>Come to the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">THG Gathering/LAN party</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bum_JCRules on 10/16/02 06:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 9, 2002 8:58:35 PM

I would bring a Intel P4....cuz that is what I own.

<font color=blue>Unofficial Forum Cop</font color=blue>
Related resources
October 9, 2002 10:18:35 PM

well if it's rumor, I'd love to have one of the announced 2800+'s(just to see real world comparisions with the P4's @2.8), but if it were to happen, I'd be stuck with 1900+.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:
October 10, 2002 12:12:44 AM

A nice pentium 90 would kick some serious ass.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks."
October 10, 2002 1:02:26 AM

I would bring by beige beast along so all you smart guys can fix my win2k kernel leak problem :frown:

<b><font color=red>He who bargains with a dragon is either a fool or a corpse.</font color=red></b>
October 10, 2002 7:45:55 AM

I would bring my coming 1600+ IF it was somewhere in Spain. Feel discriminated :_(

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!
October 10, 2002 12:04:19 PM

I would bring a p4 2.5 (400Mhz FSB) cpu overclocked (via vapochill) to 3.6GHz if I could afford these components.

<i>It's your world kid!!!</i>
October 10, 2002 2:52:02 PM

Intel StronArm 206mhz. Get ready to feel my OWNAGE!

<font color=purple><i>Smokey McPot - Your Baby's Daddy</i></font color=purple>
October 10, 2002 3:41:51 PM

Heh heh. Right now, I'd bring my Celeron 500 since that's the only running system I have. :) 

Too bad I can't make it there though. :( 

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>
October 10, 2002 7:04:53 PM

Silver,

If you bring yours I'll bring my 333 Celly. Maybe even my ALR Q-SMP dual P90 with all the EDO your heart desires. And I'll bring some EDO for that DOS machine of yours too.

To all,

If you can make the November 2nd date for the LAN Party in Buffalo NY please sign up and attend.

I have updated that thread with the latest info available.

I will update again after my meeting tonight about it.

The Official "Tom-Con" Poll info is on that thread. It will hopefully be web ready tomorrow. It is functional but it is not pretty.

<font color=red><b>Come to the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">THG Gathering/LAN party</A>
October 10, 2002 8:13:19 PM

Heh heh. I really wish I could attend. It'd be fun. :) 

Unfortunately it happens to be scheduled on a religious holiday that me, my wife, and some friends already had plans for. :(  Unfortunately it's not the kind of thing that you can just put off until the weekend after.

So, I can't go. :(  Maybe I'll be able to make the next one though. And maybe by the next one I'll have somehow managed to get a new PC.

Even if I got a new PC I'd probably still bring Cel along anyway just to give people a good laugh. :) 

I have to admit though, if you could get some sort of an internet portal so that people who can't make the trip can still join in on some of the fun, I might be able to log in for an hour or two before I go to sleep, so long as a modem connection suffices. **LOL**

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new"><font color=red>Join</font color=red> <font color=blue>the</font color=blue> <font color=green>THGC</font color=green> <font color=orange>LAN</font color=orange> <font color=purple>Party</font color=purple>!</A>
October 10, 2002 10:51:03 PM

:frown: my dead Soyo kt-333 board

Now, i'm trying to get my stupid MSI 745 board to work, hopefully i'll have it ready in time. It's in a Chieftec Dragon Mid-Tower Case (black) :cool:

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*
October 11, 2002 12:45:33 AM

A P4 2.5A running at <A HREF="http://fugger.netfirms.com/25ghz.jpg" target="_new">3.337Ghz</A> with the stock HSF on a P4T-E

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.
October 11, 2002 1:09:03 AM

That thing is stable??? What stepping of the 2.5A did you use??? I knew those things overclocked well, but not that well!

October 11, 2002 5:50:42 AM

Very stable.

Sweet combination even if the ram is only running at 533Mhz. It is PC800-40.

There is a 120MM case fan directly over the CPU and AGP slot area blowing in.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2002 7:47:11 AM

I would bring an Athlon XP1600+ overclocked to 2400+ speeds using a $400 cooling system so I could rag on P4 guys using stock speed P4 2400's for spending "more money" than me.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
October 11, 2002 1:22:20 PM

Which chipset would that be on Crashy?

October 11, 2002 2:14:33 PM

I met with Todd last night. We are moving the date to Nov. 30th.

Quetzacoatl,

That hopfully means you can attend? See if there are guys in your area that would like to go. If we get a large enough venue and drawing, we might be able to have the US Army reserves to bring cots in to stay all night for free. They already will have soldiers to watch the event. We can have them watch our stuff while we sleep. That is still in the planning but if this thing goes where we all can see it is going... it will happen.

Silver,

Your holiday will be over I hope by then. So come to Buffalo.

AMD_Man,

I know you got your liscense... Now you might not have to worry about driving at night. Also... See if there are any LAN groups in the area that might want to be a part of this. Have them E-Mail me or PM me in the Community.

To all,

See the link in my sig to see all the updates to the LAN in November and for the "Tom-Con" event slated for next year.

<font color=red><b>Come to the <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?na..." target="_new">THG Gathering/LAN party</A>
October 11, 2002 2:35:23 PM

I'd bring my beautiful badass P4 system. 1.8 running at just under 2.6. i also happen to have a geforce4 ti. with this combination i'd own most of you :smile:

-Col.Kiwi
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2002 3:03:32 PM

I can't say, because the most "Die Hard AMD fans" would use a chipset I don't normally support...

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
October 11, 2002 3:06:02 PM

No offense, but you would be supprised at the kind of firepower some people have.

Especially if people like "Mintboy" show up. That guy is unbelievablly quick with his hand-eye coordination.

October 11, 2002 3:31:12 PM

Quote:
I met with Todd last night. We are moving the date to Nov. 30th.

**ROFL** You're moving it to the <b>Thanksgiving weekend</b>?!

Geeze! Heh heh heh.

I bet a LOT of people won't end up showing. I know that I already have plans for then too. :( 

Besides, you're getting <i>really</i> close to Xmas then, which means thanks to the needed purchase of gifts to please friends and family, my budget will be tighter than a size three dress on Rosie Odonnell. **LOL**

But hey, good luck. :) 

By the way, what happens to all of the people who have pre-paid?

October 11, 2002 3:38:03 PM

thunderbird forever!

<pre>putting stuff together is almost as much fun as pulling them apart</pre><p>
October 11, 2002 5:42:15 PM

The problem we run into for moving it to the 30th is for guys like you, Todd, me, and all of the other married people. It is good for the college and HS students. (Well, and for anyone without a job.)

If there is a better date, what would you suggest?

So if you think the logic insane please give me your opinion. That goes for everyone as well. Give me your opinion on this as well. Please do not post it here...Please PM me with the suggestions.

October 11, 2002 6:57:39 PM

I'd PM you, except that I've disabled PMs. Heh heh. :) 

Seriously though, you've got a point. I suppose November 30th is pretty good for a lot of people who aren't tied down by your own family, your inlaws, and/or your friends.

Luckily at least my inlaws are in Australia and they don't celebrate Thanksgiving. ;) 

Still, my own family is split into a Wisconsin group and an Illinois group, and because they're just so close together (four hour drive each way) I'm expected to visit both. Normally you would think that this would be impossible because holidays tend to only fall on one day. However, my aunt works most holidays (hell, I would if I could get overtime/holiday pay) and so my Wisconsin family holidays are usually on the closest weekend to the actual holiday. Go fig.

So anywho, I do hope that November 30th works out for most people. It probably will for single males anyway. ;) 

Besides, there probably won't be a 'better' time for a good six months. I mean soon we're coming up to the Xmas shopping finace crush. Then there's the holiday stress. Then there are the holidays themselves. Then there are hangovers galore. Then there's the post-holiday credit-card finance crush. Then there's Valentines Day where the married men go "Honey, I just spend a fortune on you a couple of months ago that we're <i>still</i> desperately trying to pay off, but let's go do something romantic (aka expensive) while I shower you with yet more gifts that I can't afford."

So maybe spring (if not summer) would truely be about the next best date. **LOL** Perhaps we could consider a second get-together for either a THG Spring Break gathering or a THG Christmas in July? And maybe something more middle of the US (if not a tad northern for the Canadians) so that everyone who doesn't live right next to it has about a half of a continent to travel instead of a whole continent to cross?

October 11, 2002 10:47:57 PM

Man, I'd use my mobile C64 (only 15lbs!) and a nice 9600 baud modem. That should be enough, right? I mean, who needs the 1800+ with 512MB DDR that I have lying around... I just use it to surf the net.

-SammyBoy
October 12, 2002 1:36:08 AM

heh, i meant my computer would own, not my gaming skillz. i own in RTS but i'm a poor shooters player.

surely some folks that have a lot of cash have systems that can blow mine out of the water, but mine is still far above average :smile: :smile:

-Col.Kiwi
October 12, 2002 1:44:23 AM

As long as it beats that pants off your friend's computer right? :wink:

...And all the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put my computer back together again...
October 12, 2002 5:54:22 AM

Wouldnt happen to be an all mighty chipset that I love and own would it???

AKA SiS 745 ?? or maybe the new SiS 746 with a Radeon 9700 Pro?? that would be yummy =)

I still love my ASUS A7S333...i only paid $100 CDN for my board.....and its been worth every penny....

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2002 6:03:04 AM

Nope, if I'm going to spend $400 on cooling to claim I saved $100 on a processor, I'm going for full stupidity...a VIA chipset with an SB Live! All the popular crap that "hardcore gamers" praise. Hell, if the system only locks every 10 minutes, I haven't pushed it hard enough!

October 12, 2002 7:49:02 AM

please stop

you have made me fall out of my chair laughing several times :wink:

-Col.Kiwi
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2002 7:58:13 AM

d00d! j00 noze it da KEWLNESS fakt0r!!!!111

October 12, 2002 4:38:24 PM

Ahahahaha. aha. hahaha. I wonder if that KEWLNESS FAKT0R includes the ability to cook your dinner on the CPU die...

mm, fried steak :smile:

-Col.Kiwi
October 12, 2002 5:52:35 PM

u cant do it with 1 CPU though...u need a 20x20 grid of 1.4GHz T-Bird's with a nice piece of sheet metal ontop....now thatd be the ultimate Frying......fry up some homemade Chips...hehehhe het it?? ohh man...too funny.....

No but really crash....r u trying to mock people like me who use AMD ????? or is it all in good fun ?

and ,y cooling solution does no consist of $400....it consists of $20 CDN for a Volcano 7.........i didnt pay for my other fans =)

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2002 6:45:19 PM

I'm trying to mock people, not all AMD users, but rather people who spend big bux to work with cheap hardware in an effort of showmanship. You see this kind of thing a lot on "exteme hardware" sites. Such efforts often include cases modified with useless lights/dials/switches (in addition to some usefull ones), funky paint jobs, etc.

October 12, 2002 6:51:17 PM

nah, what you do is go to home depot, buy a 6 foot fan. Make a funnel and some tubing and hook it up to your computer, that would work. Maybe buy one or two window air conditioner units to put in front of the fan for colder air..
October 12, 2002 8:12:15 PM

LoL.....i did something similar except the total cost of my cooling setup was the cost of a Volcano 7 plus a couple nuts and bolts...

I took a coupel fans out of an old Humidifier.....cut out 2 8" port holes on my left side panel and mounted the 2 fans there.....there 8 inches wide and have a 6½-7" Tube around each......with that side panel on and the right side panel off.....its enough wind to blow my case right over...i need to prop it up against my desk =) That is of course if i leave it on full blast...which i dont....infact its totaly unecessary but i did ti cuz i had the stuff to do it.....

I posted about it here like 2 months ago....maybe a bit less.....i even have pictures =)

If u want to see them..lemme know =)

October 12, 2002 8:39:26 PM

LOL!

That'd be an awfully expensive grill... but it'd sure be hot and heat up faster then anything else!

-Col.Kiwi
October 13, 2002 6:03:33 PM

remember that guy that made a heat sink out of copper coins, and cooked an egg on his athlon?

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
October 14, 2002 12:24:06 AM

no.... but please do tell

Atleast Jesus loves you.......
October 14, 2002 2:44:17 AM

lol thats horrible..... but funny to say the least

Atleast Jesus loves you.......
October 14, 2002 3:46:17 AM

How about December 7th. I am hopefully going to have a call with David on Monday morning. We will hopefully settle on this date. It would be awesome. You should be able to attend this date. No religious holidays or family holidays.

I brought up the negative responses to Todd and I suggested this new date. It will also line up with us trying to get EA to bring some toys to the party. Does Dec. 7th 1492 mean anything to you? How about Pearl Harbor day and the release of Battlefield 1942?

Anyway I am putting a new update in the others section.

I hope to see you there.

DP

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 15, 2002 4:37:19 AM

The best one, of course!

i've plugged my fingers into ? :cool: ? (or/&) <b>under</b> <b>?</b> :smile: <b>?</b> that Greek agora ... dunno what happen ... that works?!?
October 15, 2002 5:07:41 PM

Quote:
Does Dec. 7th 1492 mean anything to you?

I always thought Columbus was a summer sailor. :tongue:

Sorry, I just had to say something. But that would make a hell of a lot of sense, if Pearl Harbor was in 1942... it was 1941... but December 7th still would make sense, since it does mark the anniversery of the entry (officially) of the US into WWII.

-SammyBoy
October 15, 2002 7:45:20 PM

Err Probably my AMD Spanner.........Or maybe a OEM AMD Screwdriver :-)

Sorry couldnt resist :-p
October 15, 2002 8:50:05 PM

Dismember 7th sounds a lot better to me. Unfortunately I probably won't have the money to attend then thanks to Xmas shopping. To drive from Wisconsin means at least one hotel stay, if not two. Add in the cost of gas and food and it's just too much money to try to spend at a time when I've got to be spending the money on gifts for everyone else.

If I could depend on an Xmas bonus to pay of my credit card bills, I'd be there. Unfortunately, my company doens't seem to believe in such things. :( 

If you can set something up for late spring, summer, or even next fall (assuming you don't land it on another holiday) I'll do my best to be there.

P.S. 'One-Winged Angel' ... now I remember why I missed my FFVII sound track!

!