Tungsten E2 Opinions

June 2, 2005 10:41:25 AM

So, who has a new Tungsten E2, and what do you think of it? I'm still
on the fence as to what to get to replace my old Palm Vx, and right now
the E2 is my leading choice.

What was your previous PDA before getting the E2, and what do you like
or dislike about the E2 compared to your old PDA?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

--
Karl Garrison

More about : tungsten opinions

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 8:48:55 PM

"hermes_917@yahoo.com" <kgarrison@pobox.com> wrote:

>So, who has a new Tungsten E2, and what do you think of it? I'm still
>on the fence as to what to get to replace my old Palm Vx, and right now
>the E2 is my leading choice.

Unless you need bluetooth, for about US$80 less you can find a Tungsten E (my
area US$169) which does basically the same thing.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 5:14:00 AM

In article <esdu911n2vtle2es5ccrigac6fr9lj4eqg@4ax.com>,
noemail@noemail.com says...

> "hermes_917@yahoo.com" <kgarrison@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> >So, who has a new Tungsten E2, and what do you think of it? I'm still
> >on the fence as to what to get to replace my old Palm Vx, and right now
> >the E2 is my leading choice.
>
> Unless you need bluetooth, for about US$80 less you can find a Tungsten E (my
> area US$169) which does basically the same thing.

@ Office Depot they are running a $100 off sale on all PDA's over
$249.00, they list the E2 at $249.95 so you get the $100 rebate and the
E2 just costs $149.95.

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

"AaronJ" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
> "hermes_917@yahoo.com" <kgarrison@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>>So, who has a new Tungsten E2, and what do you think of it? I'm still
>>on the fence as to what to get to replace my old Palm Vx, and right now
>>the E2 is my leading choice.
>
> Unless you need bluetooth, for about US$80 less you can find a Tungsten E
> (my
> area US$169) which does basically the same thing.

What about battery life? The Tungsten E I borrowed for a week was a lovely
machine, except for battery life. The E2's battery is supposed to be twice
as long lived...

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 20:25:41 GMT, "DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>What about battery life? The Tungsten E I borrowed for a week was a lovely
>machine, except for battery life. The E2's battery is supposed to be twice
>as long lived...

my girlfriend's E has such horrible battery life that she quit using
it long ago. The E2 is supposed to address that problem, by all
accounts, with a long batter life plus if the battery does die, the
handheld doesn't erase your data.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:39:45 AM

"DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>What about battery life? The Tungsten E I borrowed for a week was a lovely
>machine, except for battery life.

Could it be that your borrowed TE's battery is failing? Some TE's have been
reported here to have failed (by giving poor battery life) after a year or less.
I generally get about 4 hours to a charge on my almost 2 year old TE.

>The E2's battery is supposed to be twice as long lived...

Any reports of the TE2 having twice the battery life of a TE may be wishful
thinking. Most of the reviews I've read did advise of longer battery life, but
not that much longer. Unfortunately I've yet to find any side by side tests of a
*new* TE vs TE2 battery life. Logically speaking you're going from an 840 to a
1020 mAh battery, only about a 20% difference. The TE2's NV memory would save
some power, but the big power waster has always been the screen. The TE2 claims
a brighter screen. Is that at the expense of more power? Dunno. But even if the
screens of the two units are equal power wasters, the TE2 won't let you turn the
screen brightness down past the stops (or off) and the TE will let you do both
using a dimmer (such as SilkDimmer), which can be a considerable power savings.
So who wins? Probably still the TE2. By how much? Ah, that is the question. And
given that unknown is it still worth an extra 50 to 80 bucks to buy a TE2 over a
TE? A personal decision as always... ;)
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:50:29 PM

> "DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>What about battery life? The Tungsten E I borrowed for a week was a
>>lovely
>>machine, except for battery life.
>
> Could it be that your borrowed TE's battery is failing? Some TE's have
> been
> reported here to have failed (by giving poor battery life) after a year or
> less.
> I generally get about 4 hours to a charge on my almost 2 year old TE.

Yes it could be. I was getting between three and a half to four hours. But
then this is half a busy day and all of a quiet day. What do I do on the
way home? :)

>>The E2's battery is supposed to be twice as long lived...
>
> Any reports of the TE2 having twice the battery life of a TE may be
> wishful
> thinking. Most of the reviews I've read did advise of longer battery life,
> but
> not that much longer. Unfortunately I've yet to find any side by side
> tests of a
> *new* TE vs TE2 battery life. Logically speaking you're going from an 840
> to a
> 1020 mAh battery, only about a 20% difference. The TE2's NV memory would
> save
> some power, but the big power waster has always been the screen. The TE2
> claims
> a brighter screen. Is that at the expense of more power? Dunno. But even
> if the
> screens of the two units are equal power wasters, the TE2 won't let you
> turn the
> screen brightness down past the stops (or off) and the TE will let you do
> both
> using a dimmer (such as SilkDimmer), which can be a considerable power
> savings.
> So who wins? Probably still the TE2. By how much? Ah, that is the
> question. And
> given that unknown is it still worth an extra 50 to 80 bucks to buy a TE2
> over a
> TE? A personal decision as always... ;)

Neither, heh. I like the Tungsten E2, but it doesn't manage GSM
connectivity...

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

"DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"AaronJ" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message

>> I generally get about 4 hours to a charge on my...TE.
>
>I was getting between three and a half to four hours. But
>then this is half a busy day and all of a quiet day. What do I do on the
>way home? :)

When 4 hours battery life is not enough for me I just take my m125. It does
basically everything my TE will do (actually more since it can be used for
direct dialup), and gets 30 to 35 hours on a set of AAA batteries (for my type
of use).
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:49:19 AM

> "DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>"AaronJ" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
>
>>> I generally get about 4 hours to a charge on my...TE.
>>
>>I was getting between three and a half to four hours. But
>>then this is half a busy day and all of a quiet day. What do I do on the
>>way home? :)
>
> When 4 hours battery life is not enough for me I just take my m125. It
> does
> basically everything my TE will do (actually more since it can be used for
> direct dialup), and gets 30 to 35 hours on a set of AAA batteries (for my
> type
> of use).

Heh... makes the concept of the T|E redundant, then? :)

My opinion is that the best PDA in the world should not be limited by the
length of your power cord. That's why I like my devices to have good
endurance.

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com

"DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"AaronJ" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message

>> basically [the m125 will do] everything my TE will do...
>
>Heh... makes the concept of the T|E redundant, then? :)

Yes they are if fact somewhat redundant. The m125 is my outside carry and long
trips machine (better in sunlight, long battery life, no wall wart needed) and I
use the TE as an inside reading machine (nice easy on the eyes high resolution
color). I just transfer the SD card from one to the other at changeover. Best of
both worlds...
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 9:28:46 PM

> "DervMan" <dervman@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>"AaronJ" <noemail@noemail.com> wrote in message
>
>>> basically [the m125 will do] everything my TE will do...
>>
>>Heh... makes the concept of the T|E redundant, then? :)
>
> Yes they are if fact somewhat redundant. The m125 is my outside carry and
> long
> trips machine (better in sunlight, long battery life, no wall wart needed)
> and I
> use the TE as an inside reading machine (nice easy on the eyes high
> resolution
> color). I just transfer the SD card from one to the other at changeover.
> Best of
> both worlds...

Perhaps... Or something like the T|W. High resolution screen, superb
battery longevity, great indoors and out... :)

--
The DervMan
www.dervman.com