bountyhunter / assassin

I need to make a suggestion for a fellow player on his build.

ECL3 He wants something of the bountyhunter/assasin flavour, for a
rogue campaign. The story is one of redemption, so we can be as badass
as we want to start. Our DM is looking into modifying the Assassin PrC
in the DMG into a base class-- not something I think doable. Any ideas?

Shawn Roske wrote:
> I need to make a suggestion for a fellow player on his build.
>
> ECL3

Here's the tricky part. There's a few PrCs that will do this for you,
but not with ECL 3.

>He wants something of the bountyhunter/assasin flavour, for a
> rogue campaign.
> The story is one of redemption, so we can be as badass
> as we want to start.

Badass? Hunting people down? Best you can do, I suspect, is a Ranger.
I'm sure you've thought of that already, however, and discarded it for
whatever reasons. The urban ranger from Unearthed Arcana is closer but
probably not going to do it.

> Our DM is looking into modifying the Assassin PrC
> in the DMG into a base class-- not something I think doable. Any ideas?

Well, if he's got a thing about modifying prestige classes, he might
want to look into the Justiciar from Complete Warrior or the Bloodhound
from Complete Adventurer. These *are* based on bringing back people
alive, however, which fits many definitions of "bounty hunter" but
possibly not yours.

The DM seems open to the idea of modifying classes, so here's an idea -
an Expert. Of course, just a vanilla expert isn't going to cut it, but
the Expert is a *great* template to build classes off of. All you need
is to pull class abilities from Assassins or whatever, if it fits the
concept, and run with that.

Beyond that, you might want to give us some more specifics. Somethign
might strike us.

snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
> Shawn Roske wrote:
>
>>I need to make a suggestion for a fellow player on his build.
>>
>>ECL3
>

> Here's the tricky part. There's a few PrCs that will do this for you,
> but not with ECL 3.
>

>>He wants something of the bountyhunter/assasin flavour, for a
>>rogue campaign.
>>The story is one of redemption, so we can be as badass
>>as we want to start.
>

> Badass? Hunting people down? Best you can do, I suspect, is a Ranger.
> I'm sure you've thought of that already, however, and discarded it for
> whatever reasons. The urban ranger from Unearthed Arcana is closer but
> probably not going to do it.

Urban ranger might work, I'll suggest it.

>> Our DM is looking into modifying the Assassin PrC
>>in the DMG into a base class-- not something I think doable. Any ideas?
>

> Well, if he's got a thing about modifying prestige classes, he might
> want to look into the Justiciar from Complete Warrior or the Bloodhound
> from Complete Adventurer. These *are* based on bringing back people
> alive, however, which fits many definitions of "bounty hunter" but
> possibly not yours.
>
> The DM seems open to the idea of modifying classes, so here's an idea -
> an Expert. Of course, just a vanilla expert isn't going to cut it, but
> the Expert is a *great* template to build classes off of. All you need
> is to pull class abilities from Assassins or whatever, if it fits the
> concept, and run with that.
>
> Beyond that, you might want to give us some more specifics. Somethign
> might strike us.

I was looking at this last night, actually. I think this may be the way
to go. Do you think the class abilities of the assassin are easily
translated into feats?

There is not much more to tell you. The DM is familiar with WestEnd's
old D6 Starwars and wants to run a 3rd ed. DND because he bought the
rules. I have easily pegged all of them as munchkins. The DM is
already talking about giving the PCs "extra powers". I asked him flat
out why not just run a higher level campaign, but there is some kind of
confusion in his mind about how levels works. So, I'm going to play
nice and try to tolerate the oncoming maddness. Hell, I've min/maxed a
psion3 as best I can do. Recent discussion on the power of Ego Whip has
helped me greatly.

I've posted about this on the off chance that there is a base class out
there already that could fit what he wants, and I was hoping something
like a bountyhunter would pop up. I would rather steer him away from
the assassin, since I don't really want to play in an evil game-- they
don't really 'get' alignment so perhaps that fear is moot. I know about
the assassin PrC in Exalted Deeds and, again, its a PrC and kinda lame
anyway.

Basically, it is going to come down to myself being to only person in
the room who knows how to play. I guess I'm venting at this point.

You know what? I'm going to push for modifying the Expert class, or
having him go for a fighter, suggesting feats to sculpt a bountyhunting
build.

What feats can be suggested? ECL3

"Shawn Roske" <shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> nice and try to tolerate the oncoming maddness. Hell, I've min/maxed a
> psion3 as best I can do. Recent discussion on the power of Ego Whip has
> helped me greatly.

You *did* get to the part where the original poster's idea was bullshit,
right?

> I've posted about this on the off chance that there is a base class out
> there already that could fit what he wants, and I was hoping something
> like a bountyhunter would pop up.

What about the extant fighter, ranger, rogue, or barbarian classes is
*not* sufficient to create a great many incarnations of the bounty hunter
both in single and multiclass combinations?

> You know what? I'm going to push for modifying the Expert class,

Idiotic.

>or having him go for a fighter, suggesting feats to sculpt a bountyhunting
> build.

That kind of bounty hunter will have to rely on intimidation and brute
force to get his job done. Is that the kind your associate is looking to be?

> What feats can be suggested? ECL3

Track is the only must-have. Everything else will be a matter of how
he wants to fight (though Run and endurance feats would be nice to acquire
over time if he expects to pursue foes long distances w/o a mount). There
can be an argument made for combat reflexes and improved initiative, since
these will ensure that he's hard to escape.

Ranger and rogue/barbarian are better fits than you might think. The
ranger gets the tracking and endurance abilities as well as a decent
fighting capability; the barbarian has the fast movement and the vicious
toughness in combat - but the blend with rogue allows a lot more "out of
combat" flexibility such as information gathering, lockpicking..

-Michael

Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> "Shawn Roske" <shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>>or having him go for a fighter, suggesting feats to sculpt a bountyhunting
>>build.
> That kind of bounty hunter will have to rely on intimidation and brute
> force to get his job done. Is that the kind your associate is looking to be?
>>What feats can be suggested? ECL3
> Track is the only must-have. Everything else will be a matter of how
> he wants to fight (though Run and endurance feats would be nice to acquire
> over time if he expects to pursue foes long distances w/o a mount). There
> can be an argument made for combat reflexes and improved initiative, since
> these will ensure that he's hard to escape.

I understand your point.

> Ranger and rogue/barbarian are better fits than you might think. The
> ranger gets the tracking and endurance abilities as well as a decent
> fighting capability; the barbarian has the fast movement and the vicious
> toughness in combat - but the blend with rogue allows a lot more "out of
> combat" flexibility such as information gathering, lockpicking..

You're right. A bountyhunter ought to have track as a skill. Perhaps a
gestalt rogue/ranger, or rog1/ran2 will be palatable to these guys.

> Michael Scott Brown wrote:
> > Ranger and rogue/barbarian are better fits than you might think. The
> > ranger gets the tracking and endurance abilities as well as a decent
> > fighting capability; the barbarian has the fast movement and the vicious
> > toughness in combat - but the blend with rogue allows a lot more "out of
> > combat" flexibility such as information gathering, lockpicking..
>
> You're right. A bountyhunter ought to have track as a skill. Perhaps a
> gestalt rogue/ranger, or rog1/ran2 will be palatable to these guys.

Given that your marching orders were given in terms of "ECL", which
implies use of wonky races, multiclassing has to be permissible - and it's
the best mechanism for representing the kind of character the player wants
to be. If that's not palatable, then the people involved are sods and
should be mocked for their deficiencies.

-Michael

Shawn Roske wrote:
> I need to make a suggestion for a fellow player on his build.
>
> ECL3 He wants something of the bountyhunter/assasin flavour, for a
> rogue campaign. The story is one of redemption, so we can be as badass
> as we want to start. Our DM is looking into modifying the Assassin PrC
> in the DMG into a base class-- not something I think doable. Any ideas?

Monks would be good for bounty hunter. Remember, bounty hunters bring
people back ALIVE, so having the skills to capture someone, and bring
them back breathing, is key. Fighters would also do well, as they gets
lots of feat for unarmed, disarm, trip, etc. Or just be a rogue with a sap.

CH

Shawn Roske wrote:
> tussock wrote:
>
>> Rog1/Rgr2: [...] get high Dex and 14 Str, and use an
>> exotic double weapon for better damage.
<snips>

> Thanks. Very helpful. Actually, we've got a human barbarian, human
> psion, and an elf ninja (CA). The only wierd one is the assassin.

Hmm, the Ninja should be able to provide flanking for you. They
look like quite a fun class by the book, but I've yet to see one in action.
Barbarians don't usually tank up, so the party should be able to
maintain high mobility. Watch the assassins AC, he'll often be needing
to take a few for the team, and you'll only have UMD wands and potions
for healing.

Just one thought for tweaking, with high enough starting stats you
often do better with 18 Dex, paired shortswords, Weapon Finess, and
Weapon Focus at 3rd level; though you still lose out if you're
restricted to single attacks too often. It also allows a buckler.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.

tussock wrote:

> Shawn Roske wrote:
>
>> tussock wrote:
>>
>>> Rog1/Rgr2: [...] get high Dex and 14 Str, and use an exotic
>>> double weapon for better damage.
>
> <snips>
>
>> Thanks. Very helpful. Actually, we've got a human barbarian, human
>> psion, and an elf ninja (CA). The only wierd one is the assassin.
>

> Hmm, the Ninja should be able to provide flanking for you. They look
> like quite a fun class by the book, but I've yet to see one in action.
> Barbarians don't usually tank up, so the party should be able to
> maintain high mobility. Watch the assassins AC, he'll often be needing
> to take a few for the team, and you'll only have UMD wands and potions
> for healing.
>
> Just one thought for tweaking, with high enough starting stats you
> often do better with 18 Dex, paired shortswords, Weapon Finess, and
> Weapon Focus at 3rd level; though you still lose out if you're
> restricted to single attacks too often. It also allows a buckler.

You guys are all crazy. He should obviously go with Bard. I mean it's
a no-brainer! He'll have the musician thing going for him, and the high
Charisma to match class skills in Bluff, Diplomacy, Sense Motive, etc.
He'll be hittin' skins all over the map! Make him half-elven, and he'll
be getting human girls AND elf girls... I mean he'll practically be
able to set up his own web --

Oh -- I thought you said BOOTYhunter.

Nevermind.

- Ron ^*^

tussock wrote:
> Clawhound wrote:
> >
> > Remember, bounty hunters bring people back ALIVE, so having the
> > skills to capture someone, and bring them back breathing, is key.
>
> That's pretty anacronistic for late medieval times. The idea of
> capturing anyone worth posting a reward for is pretty new, really...

But...the whole of D&D is shamelessly anacronistic. Everyone that grew
up in a society knows how to read. There is essentially no barrier on
what profession or position you can go into. Et cetera. Et cetera.

YMMV, of course.

KAOS

On 2 Aug 2005 07:18:15 -0700, snikers000@hotmail.com dared speak in
front of ME:

>tussock wrote:
>> Clawhound wrote:
>> >
>> > Remember, bounty hunters bring people back ALIVE, so having the
>> > skills to capture someone, and bring them back breathing, is key.
>>
>> That's pretty anacronistic for late medieval times. The idea of
>> capturing anyone worth posting a reward for is pretty new, really...
>
>But...the whole of D&D is shamelessly anacronistic. Everyone that grew
>up in a society knows how to read. There is essentially no barrier on
>what profession or position you can go into.

Actually, it's merely assumed that any barriers which may exist have
already been accounted for in some way.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

Clawhound wrote:

> Remember, bounty hunters bring people back ALIVE, so having the
> skills to capture someone, and bring them back breathing, is key.

That's pretty anacronistic for late medieval times. The idea of
capturing anyone worth posting a reward for is pretty new, really,
outside of the nobility; and they were only captured to be ransomed most
of the time.
This particular PC is a bounty-hunter/assassin, so he's definately
out there killing critters for money.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.

snikers000@hotmail.com wrote:
> tussock wrote:
>> Clawhound wrote:
>
>>> Remember, bounty hunters bring people back ALIVE, so having the
>>> skills to capture someone, and bring them back breathing, is key.
>>
>> That's pretty anacronistic for late medieval times. The idea of
>> capturing anyone worth posting a reward for is pretty new, really...
>
> But...the whole of D&D is shamelessly anacronistic. Everyone that grew
> up in a society knows how to read. There is essentially no barrier on
> what profession or position you can go into. Et cetera. Et cetera.

I'll go further.

D&D does not take place in medieval Europe, and trying to set your world up as
if it does without making major changes to the game is Teh Stoopid.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Berawler: Is there any sanity or light left in this shrivelled husk of a world?
SingingDancingMoose: There was, but we had to trade it in for the internet.
Berawler: That is quite possibly the best response to any question ever.

Christopher Adams wrote:

> I'll go further.
>
> D&D does not take place in medieval Europe, and trying to set your world up as
> if it does without making major changes to the game is Teh Stoopid.

This conversation has been done already. You're wrong.

--

tussock wrote:
> Christopher Adams wrote:
>
>> I'll go further.
>>
>> D&D does not take place in medieval Europe, and trying to set your
>> world up as if it does without making major changes to the game is Teh
>> Stoopid.
>
> This conversation has been done already. You're wrong.

That's just silly.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you
understand?
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigeclasslist.html
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatelist.html

Berawler: Is there any sanity or light left in this shrivelled husk of a world?
SingingDancingMoose: There was, but we had to trade it in for the internet.
Berawler: That is quite possibly the best response to any question ever.

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 17:10:11 +1200, tussock <scrub@clear.net.nz>
carved upon a tablet of ether:

> Christopher Adams wrote:
> >
> > I'll go further.
> >
> > D&D does not take place in medieval Europe, and trying to set your world up as
> > if it does without making major changes to the game is Teh Stoopid.
>
> This conversation has been done already. You're wrong.

I don't recall either side ever conceeding, so you should be saying
"In my opinion, you're wrong."

--
Rupert Boleyn <rboleyn@paradise.net.nz>
should be free."